Sharks extend Karlsson for 11 million / yr for 8 years

Buffalo Rick

How do you feel about this extension?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the terms of this extension for EK by the Sharks?

• Love it! He is one of the best defenseman in the NHL and worth every penny.
    • Way too much for a defenseman who has had some signigficant injuries recently.
    • LOL .... Glad/Relieved my team did not sign him to that contract. this surely will put SJ in a Salary Cap bind.

8 years at 11million per is being reported.

WTF?!?!

I can't imagine.  I just can't imagine.  Thank GOD we're not in on that.  He's a super player and all that, but good lord.  

My fear is what that's going to do to the market. He's a great player if he can stay healthy, but it's an absolutely insane price.  

• Like 1

Yikes.... 11 mil per for a defenseman, albeit a fantastic one, who has shown himself to be VERY injury prone.

I wish the Sharks well and all that, but there were rumors of Tampa doing some shuffling to try and get Karlsson squeezed into their cap situation, but seeing the price tag (and again, Karlsson's propensity for injury), and am relieved that is no longer a possibility.

At full health, Karlsson most certainly is still an elite player, but man, his slow start, time missed, and middling to good performance in the these past playoffs doesn't make it seem like he is worth that much for that long.

I don't dislike San Jose, and a good posting buddy of mine is a big Sharks fan, but once again... YIkes!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well they I guess feel they need to resign him.

Better them than the Flyers.

11 mill kinda where I thought it might go.

It's the 8 years at 11 million that gets me.  That's not quite Weber levels of absurdity, but at least Weber's cap hit remains at least $3million less.

Now that I've said that though, Karlsson will STILL only be under contract for one more year than Weber.  No wonder Homer got black balled. 

I hope they didn't give him a NMC too.  Because at least give Seattle the chance to take away your mistake.  Oh well, the Sharks are one of the few teams that I think has managed to re-form itself while its aging core sort of moves on.  I'd think this would mean Pavelski is gone for sure, because I can't see how they afford it.  

34 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Yeah I guess I did use a few too many exclamation points.  Sorry.  

But that's WAY too much money, right?  

its not so much the money ...which is a lot, but rather the length  which is 8 years.  He is 29 now...that means he will be 37 by the time the contact is up.  IMO I think it kind of hand ties SJ.  I have not looked at their Cap situation yet.

• Good Post 1

The Sharks had about 24 million Cap space before Karlsson's extension.  Take out the11 million for EK, now the Sharks are down to about 13 million for the likes of Pavelski / Labanc / Meier / Nyquist .  Do the Sharks even resign Thornnton??   They have a lot of coin wrapped upped in 7 players.  they are using about 64% of their Cap Space on 7 players (53 million out of 83 million)

EDIT:  The spreadsheet I listed below is not right. I just hand typed the 11 million into EK spot.  It did not update all the totals properly.

EDIT #2: I goofed ... I had 8 million for contract.  IT is actually 11 million.  This is even worse for SJ!

image.thumb.png.f8497dafe6b02a34125a9c2f4ad2862f.png

Edited by pilldoc

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

8 years at 11million per is being reported.

WTF?!?!

I can't imagine.  I just can't imagine.  Thank GOD we're not in on that.  He's a super player and all that, but good lord.  

My fear is what that's going to do to the market. He's a great player if he can stay healthy, but it's an absolutely insane price.  

That is ridiculous.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

The Sharks had about 24 million Cap space before Karlsson's extension.  Take out the 8 million for EK, now the Sharks are down to about 16 million for the likes of Pavelski / Labanc / Meier / Nyquist .  Do the Sharks even resign Thornnton??   They have a lot of coin wrapped upped in 7 players.  they are using about 60% of their Cap Space on 7 players (50 million out of 83 million)

Thornton signs one year deals.  He's made enough money that the contract doesn't matter.  if he wants to play, he will sign a one-year deal for whatever number works from a cap perspective.  Have to imagine that Pavelski will sign for a reasonable number as well.  Doubt he has interest in going anywhere other than SJ.  Suspect he already knew the plans for Karlsson and probably got the Sharks comfortable with his own contract demands.  Meier and Labanc will be interesting negotiations.  They could let Nyquist walk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vis said:

Thornton signs one year deals.  He's made enough money that the contract doesn't matter.  if he wants to play, he will sign a one-year deal for whatever number works from a cap perspective.  Have to imagine that Pavelski will sign for a reasonable number as well.  Doubt he has interest in going anywhere other than SJ.  Suspect he already knew the plans for Karlsson and probably got the Sharks comfortable with his own contract demands.  Meier and Labanc will be interesting negotiations.  They could let Nyquist walk.

See my updated post.... I goofed.  Counted 8 million instead of 11 million.  Ok, taking Thornton out of equation, that still does not leave a lot of wriggle room for others.  Pavelski just made 6 million last year.  Assume another 6 million.  That brings you down to 7 million. Does 7 million get you  Meier / Labanc?  Assuming you let Nyquist walk and you fit Thornton in as necessary.  Like I said, it just does not give you a lot of room for negotiations.  ....but yeah...I see and get your POV

12 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

See my updated post.... I goofed.  Counted 8 million instead of 11 million.  Ok, taking Thornton out of equation, that still does not leave a lot of wriggle room for others.  Pavelski just made 6 million last year.  Assume another 6 million.  That brings you down to 7 million. Does 7 million get you  Meier / Labanc?  Assuming you let Nyquist walk and you fit Thornton in as necessary.  Like I said, it just does not give you a lot of room for negotiations.  ....but yeah...I see and get your POV

I posted this in Sharks forum.  I thought it was unposted?  Why would you post it in Philadelphia?  Oh, I forgot, that is what this site is all about

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

posted this in Sharks forum.  I thought it was unposted?  Why would you post it in Philadelphia?  Oh, I forgot, that is what this site is all about 

No reason to get snarky about it ... I totally missed the fact that it was posted in the Flyers forum.  I will move it shortly.

Edited by pilldoc

7 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I hope Fletcher has Little Joe"s agent on speed dial, because there's now no room for him in San Jose. 

They have only 7 forwards under contract and 12 mill left to work with.

I don't know how they plan on filling out the roster.

Tomas Hertl would make a nice 2nd line center for the Flyers.....i'm just saying....

...easier to find a 3rd line center....so Hetl for.....you know who...

On 6/17/2019 at 12:21 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Yikes.... 11 mil per for a defenseman, albeit a fantastic one, who has shown himself to be VERY injury prone.

I wish the Sharks well and all that, but there were rumors of Tampa doing some shuffling to try and get Karlsson squeezed into their cap situation, but seeing the price tag (and again, Karlsson's propensity for injury), and am relieved that is no longer a possibility.

At full health, Karlsson most certainly is still an elite player, but man, his slow start, time missed, and middling to good performance in the these past playoffs doesn't make it seem like he is worth that much for that long.

I don't dislike San Jose, and a good posting buddy of mine is a big Sharks fan, but once again... YIkes!

Other than the freak achilles injury from being skated on and pulling his groin this year, how is he injury prone🤨

He plays 75+ games a year almost ever year lol

His groin tear this year is something he should have had surgery on right away instead of trying to play through it and aggravating it. but live and learn