Goalie Question marks

King Knut

This got a bit lost in the shuffle with the Gudas and AMac news:

From Dave Issac:

>>It certainly doesn’t sound like Brian Elliott or Cam Talbot are staying in Philadelphia based on that and the goalie search,

>>“very well could go to July 1 (the start of free >>agency),” Fletcher said,

>>“but there could be some opportunities prior to that.”  

This more or less means that Talbot isn't interested in signing (at least not before 7/1 when he can receive other offers).

Now a 5th rounder for the chance to get a head start on Kevin Hayes is one thing, but did Fletcher trade Stolarz JUST for the chance to have his coach almost never play him and to talk contract a little bit early?

Stolarz needed to play something like 10 games for the Oilers to bump out of Group 6 UFA and he only played six, so as far as I can tell, he's a UFA and the Flyers could resign him.  

Statistically speaking, most of the best options for backing up Hart have already been Flyers.

Just now, King Knut said:

From Dave Issac:

>>It certainly doesn’t sound like Brian Elliott or Cam Talbot are staying in Philadelphia based on that and the goalie search,

This more or less means that Talbot isn't interested in signing (at least not before 7/1 when he can receive other offers).

Now a 5th rounder for the chance to get a head start on Kevin Hayes is one thing, but did Fletcher trade Stolarz JUST for the chance to have his coach almost never play him and to talk contract a little bit early?

Stolarz needed to play something like 10 games for the Oilers to bump out of Group 6 UFA and he only played six, so as far as I can tell, he's a UFA and the Flyers could resign him.  

Statistically speaking, most of the best options for backing up Hart have already been Flyers.

What is the purpose of this thread?  Hear of a guy named HART?

• Uggh... 1

3 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The Flyers still need a backup at a minimum. Hart can't play 82 games.

9 minutes ago, King Knut said:

From Dave Issac:

I was critical of the move at the time. They didn't bother to get a good look at Talbot in games, and they also didn't extract any additional value from a team that was looking to clear salary. I don't know how much of an NHL future Stolarz has, but it seemed like a trade just to make a trade. 

Fletcher seems to be exploring the trade route for a backup now, which is interesting. 

37 minutes ago, King Knut said:

From Dave Issac:

Keith Kinkaid might be a good option for a backup to Carter Hart.
Kinkaid has always put up decent to good numbers as a back up when NOT asked to shoulder heavy loads of minutes.

He seems to be one of those guys that the heavier the workload, the worse he plays....but since Carter Hart is the undisputed #1 in Philly, Kinkaid shouldn't have to play a ton of minutes...just well enough to give Hart breaks and not have the team feel like it is an automatic "L" when their starter isn't backstopping them.

Carolina's Curtis McElhinney the same.
Not a big fan of his, but as a backup who isn't expected to carry the team, sure.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

29 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Are you just not paying attention or trolling? 

Hart couldn't play 1/4 of a season without GETTING HURT just like every other Flyers goalie since... Ummm.  I don't know I guess Bryz stayed pretty healthy.

I'm not talking about Hart, I'm talking about his backup.  

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Fletcher seems to be exploring the trade route for a backup now, which is interesting. 

Well Vegas is strapped for cash.

They have to resign Subban and Dansk is ready for the NHL.

I would make them an offer for Dansk.

Lyon is under contract and could play in the minors for them.

They have Sandstrom and Ustimenko in the AHL.

Let Dansk backup Hart.

Or take Subban if they want to keep Dansk.

Subban can backup Hart.

26 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

The Flyers still need a backup at a minimum. Hart can't play 82 games.

I was critical of the move at the time. They didn't bother to get a good look at Talbot in games, and they also didn't extract any additional value from a team that was looking to clear salary. I don't know how much of an NHL future Stolarz has, but it seemed like a trade just to make a trade. 

The Stolarz trade was the first indication that made me concerned about Fletcher.

The timing of it was ABSURDLY STUPID.

The deadline was still a little ways away and by making the trade on the 16th while Elliott was still hurt, Hart had to play against Detroit back to back... which left him a little fatigued for the games against Tampa & Montreal (games that really mattered) and left him inured for the Outdoor classic.  

The trades leading up to it also seemed like making trades just to make trades, but they were innocuous.  Yes, we unloaded Weise and Waived Lehtera, but Gordon wasn't playing them anymore, and neither was likely to return the next season anyway.  Bailey for Leier kinda the same.  They tried Leier, he didn't seem to have a place going forwrd.  Bailey didn't either, but could do for fill in duty when needed... no great upside or downside no matter how you sliced it.

Even Hartman for Simmonds was more or less giving in to the idea that they weren't making the playoffs.  I think it gave up more than they got, but Hartman's a decent player and at least he was still RFA and on the younger side.  Seems like a solid dude too.    All in all, I might have left well enough alone just to see if they might have kept up more of the push, but that might be the hindsight of St. Louis's accomplishments painting my POV.

But Stolarz for Tablot just seemed silly.  I still contend that it cost them a lot of points in having to play Hart 4 games in a row (including a back to back) during which it seems he got hurt. 

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

But Stolarz for Tablot just seemed silly.  I still contend that it cost them a lot of points in having to play Hart 4 games in a row (including a back to back) during which it seems he got hurt

I wasn't so mad at the trade but to do and NOT play Talbot was down right insane...

54 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Are you just not paying attention or trolling? 

Hart couldn't play 1/4 of a season without GETTING HURT just like every other Flyers goalie since... Ummm.  I don't know I guess Bryz stayed pretty healthy.

I'm not talking about Hart, I'm talking about his backup.  

Good backup goalies are not as tough to come by

1 minute ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Good backup goalies are not as tough to come by

This team does not historically have good luck with backup goalies or starters.  

The fans of Flyers hockey who are good with Hart starting and assume the rest will sort itself out are delusional at best.  I see you're a Sabres fan, so please don't think that's me calling you delusional.  I'm just trying to explain why, to many here on this board, just assuming "Starter Hart" and the backup will sort itself out is simply not good enough.  

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

This team does not historically have good luck with backup goalies or starters.  

The fans of Flyers hockey who are good with Hart starting and assume the rest will sort itself out are delusional at best.  I see you're a Sabres fan, so please don't think that's me calling you delusional.  I'm just trying to explain why, to many here on this board, just assuming "Starter Hart" and the backup will sort itself out is simply not good enough.  

He has not played enough games I guess to really judge him yet.  But so far so good.   Getting a guy like Binnington or Hasek is not easy. Of course Binnington is not the only reason the Blues won.  Yes, the Sabres are my team, and my 2nd favorite tem are the Blues.  So I finally got something to cheer about.  Its been a long time.  Good luck with Hart and the backup.  I think we have  two backups in Buffalo Hutton and Ullmark.  Ullmark is worth keeping. Hutton, not as a starter

46 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wasn't so mad at the trade but to do and NOT play Talbot was down right insane...

He should have played every game he could after the deadline.  They'd made the choice to not push anymore.  

21 minutes ago, King Knut said:

He should have played every game he could after the deadline.  They'd made the choice to not push anymore.  

Or at least every other game.

It's strange it makes me think do you think that once they got him in house he did or said something they didn't like or think would fit?

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think Fletch legit thought he was getting a reasonable goalie. I'm not sure why he thought that, but I don't imagine he bothered getting the guy just for kicks. He likely figured the guy was just bad because he played for a bad team in Edmonton. What he failed to realize is that Talbot was one of the big reasons why that team has been so bad in the first place.

The sad part is anyone paying attention could pretty easily have told him Talbot is a borderline NHL goalie at best. How the brain trust surrounding him didn't pull him away from that one asap is beyond me. 

Let Dansk backup Hart.

Or take Subban if they want to keep Dansk.

Subban can backup Hart.

Dude, it's like you haven't listened to anything Fletch has said :) Lol

Fletch will absolutely not get a backup for Hart (Subban) that has played a whopping 14 NHL games more than Hart. Dansk has even less experience.

If that were the case, he'd have kept Stolarz.

Or at least every other game.

It's strange it makes me think do you think that once they got him in house he did or said something they didn't like or think would fit?

It's hard not to think that.  DIdn't they only play him when the absolutely had to?

He said all the right things about the trade publicly, but maybe he got to town and said, "yeah, I like Carter and all, but I'm gonna need the entire league to tell me I'm not a starter anymore for me to sign on to be his backup."  

it always seemed odd to me that a guy used to playing 50+ games and carrying the load would be so eager to sign on as a backup.

I'm not an immigration Attorney, but is it possible the Green Card stuff could have been him holding it up somehow? 

46 minutes ago, brelic said:

Fletch will absolutely not get a backup for Hart (Subban) that has played a whopping 14 NHL games more than Hart. Dansk has even less experience.

He should have kept Stolarz.  

If he wasn't going to trade him for an asset  (like a backup under contract for next year) or a pick or a prospect or something, then there was no point in trading him at all.  

1 hour ago, brelic said:

You can't believe everything he says....whats he doing telling the whole world his plan??

Dear lawd i hope not...smoke and mirrors.

And just lips service. Then if not Elliott or Talbot who i'm sure he name dropped to why he was at it...cause you what he said and all.:ph34r:

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

You can't believe everything he says....whats he doing telling the whole world his plan??

Dear lawd i hope not...smoke and mirrors.

And just lips service. Then if not Elliott or Talbot who i'm sure he name dropped to why he was at it...cause you what he said and all.:ph34r:

No, of course he won’t tell everyone his plan... but he kinda has already lol. He’s been almost too upfront and matter of fact. I wish he were more of a poker player, but he doesn’t seem like it so far. 

But it at the end of the day, I think there’s zero chance the backup is some inexperienced guy. 

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

I think there’s zero chance the backup is some inexperienced guy. 

I would try and sign Curtis McElhinney if the Canes let him get on the market.

There just isn't going to be a lot on the market except a few questionable retreads.

Smith, Talbot, Ward, Elliott, Neuvy, Miller, Johnson, Mrazek, Kinkaid and Montoya just to name a few of the journeymen.

McElhinney impressed me last year i would try him as target #1.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would try and sign Curtis McElhinney if the Canes let him get on the market.

There just isn't going to be a lot on the market except a few questionable retreads.

Smith, Talbot, Ward, Elliott, Neuvy, Miller, Johnson, Mrazek, Kinkaid and Montoya just to name a few of the journeymen.

McElhinney impressed me last year i would try him as target #1.

Yeah, he’d be fine. Kinkaid too. 

Not sure what happened with Talbot. 

But in Isaac’s article today, he said the Flyers have been in *trade* talks for a goalie. What is happening?

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

But in Isaac’s article today, he said the Flyers have been in *trade* talks for a goalie. What is happening?

HHHhhhhhhmmmmm.......Darcy Kuemper....from the Yotes??

Under contract for next year for 1.8 mill....he was part of Chuck's first draft class in Minny in 2009.

Just throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks...

...could you pry Derek Stepan out too and plug him in on the 2nd??

2 years left at 6.5 mill is right up my alley...thoughts.