Claude Giroux wants to be more like Sean Couturier

Guest Digityman

Kind of a mix between a blog and article I guess...

Claude Giroux is getting annoyed at just being average.

After scoring just one goal in his last ten games and just two since bouncing back from his concussion, Giroux is frustrated. CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio hears it from Giroux about how he hates letting his team down by not producing the way he has been this season and wants to be more like his rookie teammate Sean Couturier.

“I want to help the team win and the last few games, that’s not the case. I think I got to go back and do things simple. It’s frustrating knowing you can better and we have guys stepping up every game.

“Coots [sean Couturier] is playing unbelievable now. When you see your teammate working hard, you want to do the same.”

It helps that Couturier has scored goals in four straight games. Envy is a cruel thing that way and for Giroux being on the schneid like that is a bummer, especially considering how hot and fast his season started.

Now that he’s three points behind Henrik Sedin for the league points lead and the Flyers have slipped a little further behind the Rangers in the division, the pressure is mounting for Giroux to help get the Flyers back in front in both the Atlantic Division and the Eastern Conference. Slumps aren’t forever, but they certainly feel like they are when you’re going through them.

nbc sports

Couturier has been as steady a rookie as any this year.

I like that Giroux mentions it to the media.

Good article. I was actually going to post about Giroux and his slump. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I think Giroux has scored 8 points in the last 10 games with only two goals. If you minus his first game back with 4 points, he has 4 points in 9 games after his concussion. Is it possible he still has some effects or symptoms, or is he just slumping?

I've noticed some small things in his game lately. He doesn't seem to be as tough on the puck along the wall during battles, he loses his center iceman on the backcheck which has produced many goals against, and the most noticeable for me is he has turned gun shy and has reverted to his pass first mentality. I think one of the reasons he was so successful earlier in the season besides his hustle was that he wasn't as predictable to the other teams. He shot alot more and showed he has a wicked and accurate one at that. I think he's trying to do much in the offensive zone( the whole team is being too cute lately) and not enough in the defensive. Keep it simple.

Kind of a mix between a blog and article I guess...

nbc sports

Couturier has been as steady a rookie as any this year.

I like that Giroux mentions it to the media.

Well then he has to play more like Coots then and when i say that i mean "SHOOT THE GOODDDAAAMMMNNN PUCK!"Stop always LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT PASS TO JAGR!!!!! Rebounds do come off shots that the goaltender block sometimes....try it it might work!

Against Nsh, I thought it was the opposite. Giroux and a lot of the team (except Bryz of course) was so preoccupied with trying to keep the puck out of the net that they played tentative in the offensive zone. No one wanted to get caught deep and possibly yielding an odd man rush against.

Roo does need to get back to shooting and simple plays, along with most of the team. Last I checked, ugly goals count just as much.

Good article. I was actually going to post about Giroux and his slump. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I think Giroux has scored 8 points in the last 10 games with only two goals. If you minus his first game back with 4 points, he has 4 points in 9 games after his concussion. Is it possible he still has some effects or symptoms, or is he just slumping?

I've noticed some small things in his game lately. He doesn't seem to be as tough on the puck along the wall during battles, he loses his center iceman on the backcheck which has produced many goals against, and the most noticeable for me is he has turned gun shy and has reverted to his pass first mentality. I think one of the reasons he was so successful earlier in the season besides his hustle was that he wasn't as predictable to the other teams. He shot alot more and showed he has a wicked and accurate one at that. I think he's trying to do much in the offensive zone( the whole team is being too cute lately) and not enough in the defensive. Keep it simple.

I was worried. After his first game back he was interviewed. His speech was very dysfluent, almost stuttering like, one of the possible symtoms of concussion. I do not trust the Flyers medical staff, and I would bet that Guru wanted to return ASAP!