Flyers acquire Braun from SJ for 2019 2nd, 2020 3rd

AJgoal

1 minute ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I see Chuck is back to his old tricks of giving away 2nd round picks like they're candy at Halloween, has he tossed out NMC's and NTC's as party favors yet?   

I like this trade. 

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I like this better than a Subban trade.

Wonder which forward they are targeting?

Anyone's guess. Certainly are not sitting back and waiting...somewhere Hextall is smashing stuff...

He's been doing that after his morning coffee since 1987. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

He's been doing that after his morning coffee since 1987. 

Braun was a severely underrated part of Sa Jose defence in their playoff run. Flyers needed a shutdown defenceman upgrade..he's is a huge upgrade on MacDonald. San Jose gets back a second they lost for signing EK and a 3rd. Good value for them too.
  • Like 1

From the linked article...I like this.

"Braun deserves far more credit than he does in the national media. Unfortunately, the Sharks often don’t start their games until 10:30 EST. Plus being a shut-down defenseman means Braun doesn’t typically make the network highlight reels. His incredible stick positioning, solid skating and strength allow him to shield skilled forwards away from dangerous scoring areas. A nice denial of a one-on-one rush won’t make the highlights for NHL on the Fly."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

From the linked article...I like this.

"Braun deserves far more credit than he does in the national media. Unfortunately, the Sharks often don’t start their games until 10:30 EST. Plus being a shut-down defenseman means Braun doesn’t typically make the network highlight reels. His incredible stick positioning, solid skating and strength allow him to shield skilled forwards away from dangerous scoring areas. A nice denial of a one-on-one rush won’t make the highlights for NHL on the Fly."

One of these kids are going to benefit from the two new additions to the back end.

Unfortunately someone will lose their job in the process...

• Like 1

From a price perspective, like other deals, seems like a little overpayment for a 32 year-old d-man with only one year left on his deal.  Plus, Sharks had to make a move to clear cap space.  Wonder how hard other teams were bidding for Braun.

That said, from a player perspective I really like the deal.  Another solid veteran guy who can help on the PK and be a steadying influence on the youngsters.  I assume he will get 2nd pairing minutes.

They are obviously trading one or two more d-men.

This is fun, right?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

a second-round pick in this year's draft (41st overall)

(rolling my eyes) .... I see we are back to trading 2nd Round Picks again ....... :bonkingheadonwall:

I'm really not that upset about the trade .... from what I have read Braun is a decent defenseman .... I'm just giving out crap because we traded a 2nd pick like we have done in the past. ......

Edited by pilldoc

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

(rolling my eyes) .... I see we are back to trading 2nd Round Picks again ....... :bonkingheadonwall:

I'm really not that upset about the trade .... from what I have read Braun is a decent defenseman .... I'm just giving out crap because we traded a 2nd pick like we have done in the past. ......

I don't think you get a guy like Braun with his skillset for anything less sadly.

Besides they still have 8 picks and a lot more playing over seas and in college and very little room to put them.

I maybe in the minority but I like this trade.

• Like 3

Yeah I dunno what to think about this. I guess? Is Braun first pairing material? I don't really watch him much. He's more defensive-minded from what I've heard, which I guess is good. We don't really have any pure stay at home types at this point.

I still have no idea what the pairings will look like next season. I feel like we missed the boat on a true first pairing guy. I suppose it's also possible Provo drops to the second and they pair someone more offensively minded (Sanheim? Ghost?) with Braun on the first? Or maybe they ask Provo to step it up and put him with Braun.

Should be interesting to see. I have to think Ghost gets moved now. That blueline is crowded, and he's clearly the biggest fish to fry. I imagine it'll be for some forward help, probably a 2C given what's being said about Hayes.

Provo/Braun

Sanheim/Niskanen

Myers/Morin/Hagg

(?)

Edited by elmatus

Just now, TimKerrFan12 said:

Well I was really psyched to watch the draft Friday and Saturday.   Should I make other plans??   Are we going to have any picks worth getting excited about.

It's not a really great draft year. I wouldn't waste your time.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Yeah I dunno what to think about this. I guess? Is Braun first pairing material? I don't really watch him much. He's more defensive-minded from what I've heard, which I guess is good. We don't really have any pure stay at home types at this point.

Apparently he has been vlasic's partner for quite some time now as the sharks top shut down pair...so yes he should still be first pairing material

• Like 3

So, I'm taking a look at this, and the fancy stats seem good.

Braun was 2nd best in the league at preventing shots on goal with 25.66 SA/60 minutes. Not so hot at shots for, but assumedly that's what Provorov/Ghost (hopefully still)/Sanheim are for. He does well in expected goals against (19th), but not in actual goals against (81st). Very good at preventing scoring chances, also very good at preventing high danger chances, though Gudas was better there. Might not be a bad defensive pickup, but I have not watched him play at all over the past couple of seasons.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Him or Hagg. Hard to say. The phone is on fire.

Do you think Toronto would do Haag for Kapenen,  probably not. If Hayes signs , then i think Ghost is safe. If not ,then its probably Ghost for Kadri.

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I like this move too.

This is a good hockey player coming to our team. 

Niskanen and now Braun are good players in addition to whatever leadership they bring to the room. 

My feeling is the veteran players have been upgraded significantly at the cost of a veteran player, a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick.

The Flyers have the resources to do this now.  In 2 years if Fletcher is still raiding the future for today, I'll worry. Today the cupboards are full to the point of overflowing.

Niskanen and Braun instantly make this team better.  They will have the desired effect on these young guys currently on the team. They will be solid in front of Hart. 

Truly there isn't a lot to "not like" about what's happening.  We're trading magic beans for quality NHL players. 

I'm good with this, we'll see what else happens, it doesn't feel "over" to me, I wonder what the forwards will look like by the end of the week...

Im sure we get back a second rounder when we trade Haag.

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Do you think Toronto would do Haag for Kapenen,  probably not. If Hayes signs , then i think Ghost is safe. If not ,then its probably Ghost for Kadri.

I hope there are more assets coming to the Flyers if Kadri is the target. Ghost for Kadri is a loser in my book.

Like you have been saying Toronto is over a barrel, use that. get stuff, screw them over but good...

• Like 2