McKenzie: Hayes signed - 7 yrs / 50 milion

ruxpin

Do you like this signing?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the terms that the Flyers gave Hayes? (7 yrs / ~50 million)

• Yes - Best deal the Flyers could come up with
    • Yes - Glad he is a Flyers but signed for too much
    • Hell No! - Too much money. What is Fletcher doing to us???

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Statistically, we kinda did. #2 overall picks through their first 2 NHL seasons... 

And that's on Hextall* not following through on his supposed Philosophy of patience with young players.

Patrick was coming off injury and playing just 33 games of Junior (not even any playoffs) at 18. We will always wonder what he could have done with an extra year in Junior to get his legs back and continue developing his game.

Kid has all the tools. We'll see what we get from him next season.

* Ron Hextall - not a genius

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

You think Hayes will deteriorate?

No. I dont. Not anymore than any other player. I was reflecting the sentiments expressed by others who are stressed by his signing

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

No. I dont. Not anymore than any other player. I was reflecting the sentiments expressed by others who are stressed by his signing

I haven't seen many people say he's a bad player or going to suddenly deteriorate. People stressed by his signing are mostly looking at his contract and implications for future seasons. I think we're all pretty much in agreement that he's a good guy to have around. 

Kevin Hayes is a respectable option for the 2C, ideally the 3C position. We need that kind of player, and we don't have one right now since Patrick hasn't really shown he can pull it off (yet). Even if Patrick does shape up, we're always going to need a 3C, and Hayes is perfect in that role. Any way you cut it, he's a benefit to the team.

Again, bad contract, good player. It's really that simple.

6 hours ago, elmatus said:

It really depends on what the team needs honestly. Hayes is not a scorer by any stretch. He's a fairly responsible center who averages in the 40s for pts per year. In many ways, he's sort of like a lesser version of Couts. That isn't a terrible slot for a center who tends to play defensively a fair bit, but it's not really what you want from your wingers, who are typically expected to put the puck in the net more regularly.

I think he's played wing in the past, but agree he is probably more of a contributor at center given his defensive acumen.  And if Patrick or Frost pushes him out of 2C (assuming it's not because Hayes' play is faltering), that's not a bad thing.

4 minutes ago, vis said:

I think he's played wing in the past, but agree he is probably more of a contributor at center given his defensive acumen.  And if Patrick or Frost pushes him out of 2C (assuming it's not because Hayes' play is faltering), that's not a bad thing.

Yeah, of all the issues or potential issues with the Hayes signing, where he should play is the least controversial. The guy is a center. I have to assume we're paying him $7m a year to play center not wing. Re: your point about Frost or Patrick becoming 2C, this is a likely scenario, no?  Eventually. Which means in 3-4 years we will be paying our 3rd line center $7m. But enuff about that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

I haven't seen many people say he's a bad player or going to suddenly deteriorate. People stressed by his signing are mostly looking at his contract and implications for future seasons. I think we're all pretty much in agreement that he's a good guy to have around. 

Kevin Hayes is a respectable option for the 2C, ideally the 3C position. We need that kind of player, and we don't have one right now since Patrick hasn't really shown he can pull it off (yet). Even if Patrick does shape up, we're always going to need a 3C, and Hayes is perfect in that role. Any way you cut it, he's a benefit to the team.

Again, bad contract, good player. It's really that simple.

But why is it a bad contract? Because he cant play at a level worthy of the money for the length of years. And that is because his skills will deteriorate in 7 years. 

Again, thats not what Im saying. Its what others arw saying/implying

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

But why is it a bad contract? Because he cant play at a level worthy of the money for the length of years. And that is because his skills will deteriorate in 7 years. 

If his skills don't deteriorate drastically in 5 years, I'll be ecstatic. I'll say it again, Hayes is a good player but not for 7 years at that price.

4 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

If his skills don't deteriorate drastically in 5 years, I'll be ecstatic. I'll say it again, Hayes is a good player but not for 7 years at that price.

I dont think so either. But i think he will be good for 4

9 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Because he cant play at a level worthy of the money for the length of years. And that is because his skills will deteriorate in 7 years. 

Unless he takes Barry Bond supplements where his skill level will climb the older he gets!!!!!!!!

There isn't a guy in the NHL who signed a deal at the age of 27 or 28 who's skills won't erode by the time the contract winds down.

However Flyer fans think it only happens to them....SMFH...it comes with the territory...

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

However Flyer fans think it only happens to them....SMFH

No, they really don't. They know it happens to "everybody" (as you note). There are exceptions, but it is a general rule.

It's why many of them are concerned about seven year deals to 28-year-olds.

It could be that the league will be at the point where revenue supports your average third line center making $7M in his early 30s.

I don't know about you, but I'm dubious about that. Seems to me that some teams are banking on compliance buyouts and or salary rollback after the next CBA negotiation.

At which point the Hayes deal may not look so bad to Some.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

I don't know about you, but I'm dubious about that. Seems to me that some teams are banking on compliance buyouts and or salary rollback after the next CBA negotiation.

Yeah, what was the whole point of the lockout again? :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Uggh... 1

42 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Honestly, I’m starting to think you’re just trolling at this point. 

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Is it too early to ask where Kev is these days and what is training regimen is? 'Cause imma gonna keep asking.

I'm happy if we can keep Coots from screwing up his knee and get him into camp on time.  

@hf101

Wow 20 pages of therapy....

...don't let anyone tell you this site isn't a good thing...you have save mutts everywhere in north america from being kicked this summer....

...even a few goats and sheep here and there too...

:D

Edited by OccamsRazor

6 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

-If Hayes is 3C, then the team has a very big problem, because $7M/yr is simply too much for that position. In the cap world, there's not a lot of room to pay guys a tier above what they can produce.

If he pots 50+ points per year, and Patrick pots 60+, does it really matter? That's the production that was realistically expected from Hayes anyway, so it wouldn't be *below* what he was signed for IMO.

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

That's the production that was realistically expected from Hayes anyway, so it wouldn't be *below* what he was signed for IMO.

Last year there were 28 forwards with a cap hit of $7M+. Two had 50-59 points. Evander Kane (who had 30 goals in his third consecutive 25+ goal season) and Jamie Benn (who had 27 goals in what was his lowest production in a decade). The others below 60 were JVR (48 in 66 with 27 goals), Bobby Ryan (42 points), the Ghost of Jason Spezza (27 points - making $700K next season), and Ryan Getzlaf (48 points in 67 games). Getzlaf and JVR project out to 60.

Hayes has to hit 50+ for this to make any kind of sense, especially given who his linemates are likely to be. He now one of the top 40 cap hit forwards in the league.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, radoran said:

Last year there were 28 forwards with a cap hit of $7M+. Two had 50-59 points. Evander Kane (who had 30 goals in his third consecutive 25+ goal season) and Jamie Benn (who had 27 goals in what was his lowest production in a decade). The others below 60 were JVR (48 in 66 with 27 goals), Bobby Ryan (42 points), the Ghost of Jason Spezza (27 points - making $700K next season), and Ryan Getzlaf (48 points in 67 games). Getzlaf and JVR project out to 60.

Hayes has to hit 50+ for this to make any kind of sense, especially given who his linemates are likely to be. He now one of the top 40 cap hit forwards in the league.

Yes, agreed. I believe he was signed with the expectation that he puts up multiple 50+ point seasons, with perhaps an outlier career year in the 60s. Expecting more than that is not realistic - fans might expect more, but I doubt that is what management expects unless they are grossly unaware of probabilities and career arcs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yes, agreed. I believe he was signed with the expectation that he puts up multiple 50+ point seasons, with perhaps an outlier career year in the 60s. Expecting more than that is not realistic - fans might expect more, but I doubt that is what management expects unless they are grossly unaware of probabilities and career arcs.

With wingers like JVR and Voracek I will be expecting 60-70....anything less and I will be disappointed. It's my opinion of it.

• Like 1