McKenzie: Hayes signed - 7 yrs / 50 milion

ruxpin

Do you like this signing?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the terms that the Flyers gave Hayes? (7 yrs / ~50 million)

• Yes - Best deal the Flyers could come up with
    • Yes - Glad he is a Flyers but signed for too much
    • Hell No! - Too much money. What is Fletcher doing to us???

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I guess this makes the Hayes deal look not so great now....home town discount?

The Vegas Golden Knights have officially signed William Karlsson to an eight-year contract through the 2026-27 season worth an average annual value of $5.9 million.

its easy to match dollar for dollar and say they got the better deal. However, we are looking at it from a one sided POV. We dont know what Karlsson was looking for. Although its not the norm in today's sportsworld, where money rules, its quite possible his desire to stay in Vegas was a priority. For that reason, he could have taken a deal that he could live with, while allowing the team more cap room to work with.

One season remived from a SC final, I could see it.

If he signed elsewhere, the price tag could've been greater than that of hayes 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, CoachX said:

its easy to match dollar for dollar and say they got the better deal. However, we are looking at it from a one sided POV. We dont know what Karlsson was looking for. Although its not the norm in today's sportsworld, where money rules, its quite possible his desire to stay in Vegas was a priority. For that reason, he could have taken a deal that he could live with, while allowing the team more cap room to work with.

I'll put you on the list of people that think Hayes' contract was good so I can disregard anything you have to say going forward.

It only took OC three days to realize it is a steaming pile.

18 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

I'll put you on the list of people that think Hayes' contract was good so I can disregard anything you have to say going forward.

It only took OC three days to realize it is a steaming pile.

Theres no need to be smarmy. We all have opinions. 

So if Hayes turns out to be a good signing, what list does that put you on?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

It's also an RFA deal vs. a UFA deal. They're really not comparable.

Doesn't make the Hayes deal a good one, but this deal isn't a reason why.

I do see a lot of good things for Konecny's deal, though (Karlsson, Kapanen, Johnsson...)

• Like 2

One that doesn't exist.

My prediction is Hayes scores 60 points this year (assuming good health and linemates) then never hits 55 again.  That would not be a good signing to me unless it accompanies several deep runs to the Conference/Cup Finals where he is a primary contributor.

He will be on the third or fourth line in three years.

Im not saying the Hayes deal is a good one (im willing to guve benefit of doubt). Im just saying we shouldnt call it apples to apples when evaluating it. We dont know what Karlsson's priorities were

2 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

One that doesn't exist.

My prediction is Hayes scores 60 points this year (assuming good health and linemates) then never hits 55 again.  That would not be a good signing to me unless it accompanies several deep runs to the Conference/Cup Finals where he is a primary contributor.

He will be on the third or fourth line in three years.

Well there you have it. You made your prediction and we should just all accept it

Good job!

1 minute ago, SCFlyguy said:

He [Hayes] will be on the third or fourth line in three years.

I think it's more like year five, but I take your point.

I think you are right. Unless he really gets himself into that kind of elite Blake Wheeler type conditioning and improves his foot speed -  both of which would change how hard he is to play against - he's just a solid 3C  on an average day.

As it is, I think he is a borderline 2C on a good day. 

We shall see.

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I think it's more like year five, but I take your point.

5 years well that means one of two things...

...Option 1- Hayes actually played well and Patrick shat the bed and then hopefully was traded to Winnipeg or somewhere barren.

Option 2- Rubtsov and Frost are both 26 and 25 and both worthless and have just turned to Scott Laughton and Raffl clones....

...and of course Pods has jumped off Walt Witman 4 year today....

• Good Post 1

I'm still wonder how is 55 - 60 point guy got 7 mil per year ! OV makes 9.5 per year ! But OV scores 50 + goals every year!. NHL goes nuts with salary. They should not do a cap space but other way around , grading per point match to salary. That will eliminate potentially future bad contracts. When guy got waived and everyone end up with loss.  

So next in line for contract Nolan Patrick and  Travis Konecny they got 72 and 82 points respective, so they will get 9 mil !? they will make same as OV? WOW . 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, phlfly said:

I'm still wonder how is 55 - 60 point guy got 7 mil per year !

Kevin Hayes' best season was 54 points - last year.

His career points per game average (.598) have him averaging 49 points per 82 games.

Flyers obviously banking on him being on an upward trend with higher ceiling potential when paired with talented wingers.

I'm skeptical, but waiting-and-seeing.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, radoran said:

Flyers obviously banking on him being on an upward trend with higher ceiling potential when paired with talented wingers.

It's a big if for sure, it will depend on the wingers and depend greatly on him finding chemistry with a couple guys. Might require some experimenting. The one thing I will say about Hayes is he's clearly a smart player, like smarter than your average player. It's why he is a natural center. I value that probably more than most people here. And really, if I was consistent in that I should be celebrating that hockey smarts is worth a pretty penny!

Anyway, hope he finds chemistry with TK or some other talented young un.

EDIT: "Smart player" = increased likelihood of finding chemistry with other (good, smart) players. 

That's the hypothesis I guess.

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

EDIT: "Smart player" = increased likelihood of finding chemistry with other (good, smart) players. 

That's the hypothesis I guess.

Does he remind you Carter ? But remember - "Carter shots - wide and high" 

I think it's same reason Haynes has only 50 points .

8 minutes ago, phlfly said:

Does he remind you Carter ? But remember - "Carter shots - wide and high" 

I think it's same reason Haynes has only 50 points .

No, he does not remind me of Carter. Like in anyway. 

1 hour ago, phlfly said:

Does he remind you Carter ?

No.

Game is totally different, Hayes brings a physicality that Carter didn't. Hayes can't skate like Carter even in his wildest dreams, though he's not a bad skater.

Hayes takes the puck to the net, plays around the net, is + with the puck at his feet, he has a good effort face too... he's very nearly the antithesis of Carter. 

I liked Carter btw

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Anyway, hope he finds chemistry with TK or some other talented young un.

Let's hope.

Honestly, if they could have gotten Marleau and a 1st for a 6th I probably would have preferred that for a year...

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 9:37 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Yep and now he will have Frost breathing down his neck wanting that 3rd line center spot so he better get a move on or he could find himself getting a move out...no way i would deny Frost that spot since if he is ready....then the Flyers will have another issue on their hands...but it will be a good problem i guess.

Frost is a junior player the same age as Patrick, same draft.

One is an NHL center, one is a junior player. How many points do you think Patrick would get playing for the Soo? You cant even compare the two. One is going into his third NHL season, the other has not been able to make the team.

2 hours ago, csummers said:

Frost is a junior player the same age as Patrick, same draft.

One is an NHL center, one is a junior player. How many points do you think Patrick would get playing for the Soo? You cant even compare the two. One is going into his third NHL season, the other has not been able to make the team.

None of that even matters, he is up now...Patrick should have been sent back to juniors anyways instead of being rushed...and Frost didn't have the luxury of being the number 2 overall pick.

And it doesn't matter now Frost will be gunning for a center spot...so Patty better pick up the pace...or he could get passed over soon.

And who cares what he would do on the Soo??