McKenzie: Hayes signed - 7 yrs / 50 milion

ruxpin

Do you like this signing?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the terms that the Flyers gave Hayes? (7 yrs / ~50 million)

• Yes - Best deal the Flyers could come up with
    • Yes - Glad he is a Flyers but signed for too much
    • Hell No! - Too much money. What is Fletcher doing to us???

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow Sharks got a deal...

...or Lebanc got screwed...

...he put up 56 points signed for 1 million...Hayes put up 55 got 7.1 million....

Well, when you look at it that way the Hayes signing looks kind of dumb. :InnocentSmiley:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow Sharks got a deal...

...or Lebanc got screwed...

...he put up 56 points signed for 1 million...Hayes put up 55 got 7.1 million....

Holy hell. I've seen hometown discounts before, but this borders on negligence by Labanc's agent.

Not going to compare the two deals because they're not comparable. 

58 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Based on this alone, the Flyers got hosed .

But we're not comparing apples to dog ****

Yeah, Lebanc actually has a great shot and a scoring touch :NinjaLookLeftRight1::NinjaLookLeftRight1:

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Well, when you look at it that way the Hayes signing looks kind of dumb. :InnocentSmiley:

Only if you take it as a contract for a hockey player.

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

But we're not comparing apples to dog ****

I'm guessing Hayes is the apple in this scenario for you?

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Not going to compare the two deals because they're not comparable. 

Absolutely correct.

One was a one year prove it deal for a 23yo RFA who scored 56 points and will be RFA at the end of the deal on a contending team that has consistently made the playoffs.

The other was for Kevin Hayes who broke 50 points for the first time at 27 and is signed for seven years.

No comparison at all.

Edited by radoran

32 minutes ago, radoran said:

Absolutely correct.

One was a one year prove it deal for a 23yo RFA who scored 56 points and will be RFA at the end of the deal on a contending team that has consistently made the playoffs.

The other was for Kevin Hayes who broke 50 points for the first time at 27 and is signed for seven years.

No comparison at all.

I sense sarcasm hidden in there somewhere. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Only if you take it as a contract for a hockey player.

I'm guessing Hayes is the apple in this scenario for you?

Feel free to draw your own conclusions 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Absurd sure.

It's not as insane though.

Yes it is.  Labanc probably should have got over $3m/year for 3 years.  He took a contract worth 1/3 of that.  He’s also RFA with little negotiating power.  Meanwhile, Hayes got maybe $1.5m/year more than market and at least one, maybe two, more years than folks thought he should get.  He was also UFA.  Labanc getting that contract is just as insane, if not more, than Hayes’ deal.  And I’m not a fan of the Hayes contract.  

1 hour ago, vis said:

Yes it is.  Labanc probably should have got over $3m/year for 3 years.  He took a contract worth 1/3 of that.  He’s also RFA with little negotiating power.  Meanwhile, Hayes got maybe $1.5m/year more than market and at least one, maybe two, more years than folks thought he should get.  He was also UFA.  Labanc getting that contract is just as insane, if not more, than Hayes’ deal.  And I’m not a fan of the Hayes contract.  

Exactly somewhere around what Kapanen and Johnsson got from the Leafs.

Dude needs to fire his agent immediately!

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Exactly somewhere around what Kapanen and Johnsson got from the Leafs.

Dude needs to fire his agent immediately!

And what Konecny is likely to get.

His agent either did him wrong, or Labanc told the agent to step aside and that he wanted to stay in SJ.  Seems really risky on his part.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vis said:

I guess when I view Hayes contract I'm looking at it as a Flyers fan who watched Hextall spend FOUR YEARS trying to dig them out of hell from an idiot GM who kept signing players to ridiculous deals and throwing draft picks away. Now that that guy hired the gm who signed our next stupid contract...well, that's the insane part. 

I watched Lebanc play here for 3 years on the Colts...I figured the Sharks got a steal when they took him that late in the draft. Looks like the gift that keeps on giving.

Edited by flyercanuck

Im still baffled. The Hayes contract may, or may not, turn out to be a disaster. But the GM signed a 2c, beefed up the D, hasnt dealt away propects or picks, signed Sanheim and has enough money to get Provo and TK signed. Plus the coaching staff, (which is rarely discussed) is way better than it was

Why am I supposed to miss Hextall again?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Now that that guy hired the gm who signed our next stupid contract...well, that's the insane part. 

Honestly, Hayes is not a ridiculous contract considering his age, his potential, and our needs. 

I don't like it, especially the NMC during the crucial Seattle expansion draft. 

In some respects, part of the blame can be lain at Hextall's feet for his failure to adequately address the 2C position last summer. He opted to hope Patrick would be it, and go with an unproven Vorobyev as 3C, then we were left scrambling all season.

Now, if Fletch starts giving out more big contracts to outsiders, especially older ones, then I'll worry.

No Subban. No Panarin. No crazy offer sheets. And we still have Ghost, kept the 1st rounder, recouped a draft pick. Brand new coaching staff - with three experienced head coaches. 

Considering what I *thought* he might do this summer, he ended up being very restrained and reasonable overall.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Im still baffled. The Hayes contract may, or may not, turn out to be a disaster. But the GM signed a 2c, beefed up the D, hasnt dealt away propects or picks, signed Sanheim and has enough money to get Provo and TK signed. Plus the coaching staff, (which is rarely discussed) is way better than it was

Why am I supposed to miss Hextall again?

I really feel like we're getting way too polarized here. It really isn't a black or white scenario where everything is 100% good or everything is 100% bad. Speaking from either of those perspectives really does nothing to promote real discussion or understanding. If we get bogged down in a polarized debate, we're all likely to be wrong more than we are right.

At the end of the day, much of what we're talking about is an exercise in evaluation of Fletcher's first off-season as GM. We're jumping in on different sides of the pool, which is fine, but we won't get anywhere without acknowledging those differences.

Personally, I really liked Hextall -- a lot. By and large, I defended his actions against all comers, and honestly I still think he did almost everything right. From my vantage point, he got rid of plenty of garbage contracts and useless players -- more often than not without giving up much or anything in return -- and he stocked the cupboards with more talent than we've had in ages.

Did he have blind spots? Yeah, he overpaid for Voracek back in the day, though the contract as it stands now is pretty on par with what he should be making. He did very little to find us a reasonably good goalie option over the last couple seasons. Sure, Hart was on the way, but even today we'd be in a better spot if we had an actual decent veteran starter on the roster. He also didn't get us a proper 2C when he should have. The kids simply weren't pulling their weight quickly enough, and he should have done something about that. Most important of all, he held on to Hakstol too long. I love the loyalty, and I remember being perfectly fine with hiring him at the beginning, but Hak should have been gone probably in the 2017 off-season at the latest. 

So yeah, he made some questionable moves. He also left this organization in a fantastic position. He was a better than average GM in my opinion. As such, his replacement is filling some pretty big shoes.

Fletcher's tenure is still beginning, so we can only say so much. If I'm being honest, the coaching revamp is the *only* thing he did that stands to have a substantial and noticeable impact right away. Again, this is just me evaluating, but his additions to the roster are complementary at best pieces. These are not guys who have a truly major impact on a team imo. I'm not saying they're bad players. I just don't think they're going to make this team that much better.

Will the team get better? Yeah, I would say. The coaching frankly cannot be any worse, so that's a huge upgrade immediately. Hart is a toss up given his age, but I'm happy he's at least in the league now and learning the game at this level. 

Really though, if this team becomes more than just a bubble team again next year, it will not be because of Niskanen or Braun or Hayes. It will be because of Provorov, TK, Sanheim, and Patrick -- without mentioning Frost. They're the ones who have untapped potential and who are the real wild cards in this whole equation. This is the legacy Hextall left behind, and it's one we should all regard quite highly.

Will Fletch fill those shoes? It's way too early to tell. But I think it's fair to look at his first off season and to be critical of certain things. I don't think it needs to be an all or nothing deal.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Really though, if this team becomes more than just a bubble team again next year, it will not be because of Niskanen or Braun or Hayes. It will be because of Provorov, TK, Sanheim, and Patrick -- without mentioning Frost. They're the ones who have untapped potential and who are the real wild cards in this whole equation. This is the legacy Hextall left behind, and it's one we should all regard quite highly.

This.  If the Flyers become a perennial playoff team the next several years, it will be because the Hextall draft picks pan out, not because of Ser Hayes of the Stone Hands.  Which begs the question:  why sign this guy to an above-market contract when he will never be a difference maker?

32 minutes ago, elmatus said:

At the end of the day, much of what we're talking about is an exercise in evaluation of Fletcher's first off-season as GM. 

Which can't truly even be done till the end of next season...or maybe even later then, Hextall got/getting that benefit.

So if we are suppose to wait till after the Mcdud, Umburger, Vinny and goalie fiasco is over basically 4-5 years.

Shouldn't we wait to truly evaluate Chuckles?

Or oh no let's rush to do it now because well because we can?!?

• Like 2