McKenzie: Hayes signed - 7 yrs / 50 milion

ruxpin

Do you like this signing?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the terms that the Flyers gave Hayes? (7 yrs / ~50 million)

• Yes - Best deal the Flyers could come up with
    • Yes - Glad he is a Flyers but signed for too much
    • Hell No! - Too much money. What is Fletcher doing to us???

1 minute ago, Digityman said:

On the face, I think it's too much money for too many years.  That being said, there are no other options out there and Fletch had no choice but to sign a 2C.

I understand this line of argument, it gets used all the time, but its simply not true, you always have a choice. Holmgren did not have to sign Bryz to that contract. The obvious choices are: be patient, i) wait for the young guys; ii) trade; iii) sign a European FA (I know, not great). So if the market was so out of whack that it was Hayes for 10 years at $10M would you still be saying he had no choice? Where does it stop? Kevin Hayes is not worth $50M on his best day. 

Unbelievable.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Flyers fans would have lost their collective minds. 

They will do that no matter what....it is the norm like the sun rising and setting....no worries...bring me Cup!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Digityman said:

On the face, I think it's too much money for too many years.  That being said, there are no other options out there and Fletch had no choice but to sign a 2C.   Could you imagine if he didn't get a 2c this summer?   Flyers brass must be breathing down his neck.   Flyers fans would have lost their collective minds.   

I think this is it, right there. He wanted a 2C. In Fletch's mind, Patrick is not a 2C right now.

Other than Duchene, this was the only guy they could get without giving up assets. 

4 minutes ago, Digityman said:

As Brelic said:

Don't forget that this helps 5 on 5 and the penalty kill.    They don't have to waste Couturier/Giroux on the PK as much.

I do think that this causes some issues in the future.   Where does Frost fit in?   Couturier just gained a huge bargaining chip.    

What does the middle look like in 4 years?   Couturier, Patrick, Frost, Hayes?     Does Couturier get traded and bump everyone up one line? 

Will be interesting to see how it shakes out in the future, but for now the Flyers are a better team than they were 2 month ago.

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

The obvious choices are: be patient

He can't afford to. The brass brought him here to make changes and get them into the playoffs.

Now he has planted the seed now all you can do is see what AV and his gang can do with it.

9 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Where does Frost fit in?

I just mentioned this a few post back....he is coming hard for that 3rd line center spot Patrick will be occupying....but not for long.

So the pressure will be turned up on Nolan....so it is time for him to shat or get off the pot....and don't be shocked when all is said and done the Flyers use Patrick as a trade chip with Seattle to be their #1 or #2 center when the time comes....if he isn't moved before then.

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yep and now he will have Frost breathing down his neck wanting that 3rd line center spot so he better get a move on or he could find himself getting a move out...no way i would deny Frost that spot since if he is ready....then the Flyers will have another issue on their hands...but it will be a good problem i guess.

I mean, the Flyers really had no choice but to draft him.  I wonder if his lack of development is the fault of the team or the player.  Hoping a new staff can jumpstart him.  Obviously best to try to be patient, but that's not a luxury with Comcast (and fans) being tired of patience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vis said:

I mean, the Flyers really had no choice but to draft him. 

Did they i can't say only speculate....they could have traded back...as i said i don't know if they didn't try but i have to guess they didn't maybe....either way it is a good problem to have now with Hayes they still have options....

Couturier 

Hayes

Frost

Laughton

Still give you an impressive set of centers.

1 minute ago, brelic said:

He absolutely is. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have gotten it. That's how markets work. 

And Philly is not the only team that would have ponied it up. 

Jeff Skinner, career high 63 points (with Eichel feeding him the puck), $9M

Evander Kane, career high 57 points (7 years ago), $7M

Ryan O'Reilly, career high 64 points at the time of signing, $7.5M

Brock Nelson, career high 53 points, $6M

JVR, career high 62 points, $7M

We don't have to like it, but it is absolutely in line with other contracts. 

Exactly this it's NHL19 where you can just adjust the rosters and trade for anyone you like. The market will unfortunately dictate this.

The Flyers are one of the teams who are paying these prices if they didn't then someone else would and you sited great examples.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

He absolutely is. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have gotten it. That's how markets work. 

I think we need to have a convo about the definition of the term "worth"

This has really been bugging me: how is that NHL GMs can successfully collude all the time to prevent offer sheets, but can't figure out a way for all of them to not pay Kevin ****** Hayes $50M? I don't get it. If you're gonna collude, collude damn it.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

52 minutes ago, brelic said:

I think Buffalo took care of that with the Skinner signing. That's a better comparable.

And that was pretty much what I said in the chat the day of the Skinner contract: I thought it wasn't good, and what the hell does that make Taylor Hall worth. Skinner's contract is a veritable thrift store bargain compared to that of Kevin Hayes. Within days of getting out from under the weight of Andrew MacDonald, the Flyers signed up for the same pain a few years down the line with this deal. The very best thing I'll say about it is that he didn't get a NMC.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I think we need to have a convo about the definition of the term "worth"

Haha, let's have that convo over some nice grilled halibut!

Seriously, though, "worth" is relative. The NHL market would have determined Hayes was "worth" $7M or so per year, regardless of who signed him. It's based on the comparables I posted, on the limited market for free agent centers, and the teams that are  looking to fill holes. 

Fletch determined that his "need" for a 2C was high enough that it was "worth" being the one that spent $7M per year on Hayes. His other options were to hope that Patrick makes the jump - but nothing has shown he is ready to do that, and hope doesn't get playoff berths. He could have traded for Karlsson, but that would surely have cost the 11th OA pick and a damn fine roster player and/or prospect (Frost, Farabee). 

Just now, JR Ewing said:

And that was pretty much what I said in the chat the day of the Skinner contract: I thought it wasn't good, and what the hell does that make Taylor Hall worth. Skinner's contract is a veritable thrift store bargain compared to that of Kevin Hayes. Within days of getting out from under the weight of Andrew MacDonald, the Flyers signed up for the same pain a few years down the line with this deal. The very best thing I'll say about it is that he didn't get a NMC.

I won't be one of those guys like you see out there, though, who says it's one of the very worst contracts in the NHL. I don't think.

Yeah, it's very likely that *if* Patrick and Frost surpass Hayes, it will make for a very expensive middle six winger. But so is JVR. I don't know, maybe he's tradeable if need be in 5 years. 

I will say that I think Hayes is a better player than MacDonald could ever hope to be, so while it may become a cap drain, it's not like he can't be a serviceable role player, albeit an expensive one.

22 minutes ago, vis said:

I mean, the Flyers really had no choice but to draft him

Here is the list of the top 10 picks in the 2017 Draft.....  Pettersson and Heiskanen are the only ones I would have drafted at #2.  In all fairness to Patrick he was recovering from an injury.  Because of that IMHO he should have been sent back to his junior club.  However this fan base would have gone apeshit if that occurred because of all the fanfare of him being the #2 overall pick.

How great would Pettersson be in O&B right now.  Like they say....hind-site is always 20/20

image.png.b60d4bcc1c1fbe4c8e2e78354664ce08.png

1 minute ago, brelic said:

a  $50 million serviceable role player,

I can't wait for the day when Flyers fans turn on Hayes (November?) and start chanting "Service-able Role Play-er" in the same cadence as Sixers fans did Trust the Process.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, brelic said:

That are some sobering numbers .....  this is the direction the new NHL is going ....... can someone spell upcoming lockout again ..... sheesh

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I can't wait for the day when Flyers fans turn on Hayes (November?) and start chanting "Service-able Role Play-er" in the same cadence as Sixers fans did Trust the Process.

I always reserve the venom for management, because nobody ever holds a gun to their head and forces to sign silly contracts. What's the player going to do; turn down the money? I sure as hell wouldn't.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, brelic said:

With all due respect, that's nonsense.

Skinner, Kane and JVR are multiple time 30-goal scorers. O'Reilly is one of the best faceoff men in the game and hasn't had less than 55 points in 6 years, has scored 20+ in five of the past six years.

Hayes had 50+ points once - 54 points last year - and 20+ goals once. In five years.

Skinner, Kane and O'Reilly all benefitted from Buffalo needing to overpay. If your thought is that the Flyers also need to overpay, that's worrisome from where I sit.

Nelson is a good comparison - and $1M cheaper.

Again, hope this works out. Skeptical...

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

This series of moves could work out very well for them.

From your words to God's eyes...

...it could get ugly if it don't...

Edited by OccamsRazor

Just now, radoran said:

Again, hope this works out. Skeptical...

I think that this contract is a clear bet against the house. Chances of failure are far higher than chance of success, but for the Flyers sake (they're who I cheer for in the east due to all of your awful influences) I hope it works out.

• Like 2

I have to agree with an article in the New York Post that says, in essence, that the Devils made the right call with Nico Hischier.  We wouldn't be making this deal if Patrick had made more progress (if that is possible).  Free Agency leads to this kind of stuff.

My "take" is that Fletcher is going with these deals to remake a team culture.  That transcends dollars and sense.  The length of term here is a bit frightening. But that is life in the New NHL and a Comcast ownership that was fed up with patience taking us nowhere.