McKenzie: Hayes signed - 7 yrs / 50 milion

ruxpin

Do you like this signing?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the terms that the Flyers gave Hayes? (7 yrs / ~50 million)

• Yes - Best deal the Flyers could come up with
    • Yes - Glad he is a Flyers but signed for too much
    • Hell No! - Too much money. What is Fletcher doing to us???

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

From your words to God's eyes...

...it could get ugly if it don't...

I guess you can't hit a home run if you don't take the bat off your shoulder. When Steve Tambellini was Oilers GM, he seemed frozen by fear when it came to making necessary deals, and all he would do is dump players and pick up waiver options. If you shoved a lump of coal up his a$$, it would have come out a diamond.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

Oh no!

omg-omg-omg-the-sky-is-falling.jpg

Well I have to admit...that meme fits Fletchers moves a heck of a lot more than  the word "crafty" does.

That's a bad contract for anyone not named Kevin or Mr. and Mrs. Hayes.

10 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

We want Fenton to do nothing.  Because when he 'does' something we end up dealing Niederreiter for Victor Rask.  

You make a very good point! 

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

I guess you can't hit a home run if you don't take the bat off your shoulder. When Steve Tambellini was Oilers GM, he seemed frozen by fear when it came to making necessary deals, and all he would do is dump players and pick up waiver options. If you shoved a lump of coal up his a$$, it would have come out a diamond.

Exactly....and to be honest the Comcast brass are holding Chuck's feet over the fire....they want change and BIG change.

If he wants to be the GM for long this is route he must go....hey maybe it works out i can't sit here in June and say for sure but at least he isn't like Fenton in Minnesota twiddling his thumbs and they are already tanking for the 2020 draft pick...

11 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I always reserve the venom for management, because nobody ever holds a gun to their head and forces to sign silly contracts. What's the player going to do; turn down the money? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Fair enough. 

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

You make a very good point! 

I would rather him try like he is doing than ore of the Hextall slow plodding way...folks say they didn't like Holmgren's way but he won 7 playoff series in 5 years and a trip to the Stanley Cup. Ron didn't win squat in his tenure....give me back the excitement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would rather him try like he is doing than ore of the Hextall slow plodding way...folks say they didn't like Holmgren's way but he won 7 playoff series in 5 years and a trip to the Stanley Cup. Ron didn't win squat in his tenure....give me back the excitement.

True ...but Hexy did restock the farm team back to respectability where as Homer game out the prospects like candy .....

• Like 2

Just now, pilldoc said:

True ...but Hexy did restock the farm team back to respectability where as Homer game out the prospects like candy .....

Sure i guess if you are gunning for that #1 farm system trophy he did well....he couldn't even find them a solid NHL starter goalie much less get them into the playoffs and win a series...but hey at least they had a lot of cap space they just wasted last year what like 4 or 5 million down the drain...a lot of draft picks and no wins to show for it. Nope give me back some excitement in my life i want to watch hockey in April, May and June and i want the Flyers to be the team i am watching.....the other way and i will be retired and not able to even afford to follow these guys....Ron's way was a slow rolling turd up hill...it's about the playoffs you have to get in to be able to win first.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brelic said:

I think this is it, right there. He wanted a 2C. In Fletch's mind, Patrick is not a 2C right now.

Other than Duchene, this was the only guy they could get without giving up assets. 

Not giving up assets today, but Hayes' contract guarantees we will be giving up assets cheap somewhere down the road to stay under the cap.

Edited by Clarke2Leach
  • Like 4

Cup or bust is just unrealistic. This team didn’t even make the playoffs last year. Sure, they should be better with a full year of Hart and (hopefully) better coaching, but the leap from non-PO team to a cup is a lot to ask. 

Not to mention Fletch still has yet to really add an impact player to this roster. Hayes is fine (though overpaid), Braun seems decent (i don’t know him enough personally), and Niskanen is reasonable in a limited role. None of those guys are the kinds of players imo that make last year’s mess into a sudden contender. 

Now, all of that stuff combined should definitely net us a playoff spot. That to be is the bare minimum to consider this coming season a reasonable success. 

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

Cup or bust is just unrealistic. This team didn’t even make the playoffs last year. Sure, they should be better with a full year of Hart and (hopefully) better coaching, but the leap from non-PO team to a cup is a lot to ask. 

Not to mention Fletch still has yet to really add an impact player to this roster. Hayes is fine (though overpaid), Braun seems decent (i don’t know him enough personally), and Niskanen is reasonable in a limited role. None of those guys are the kinds of players imo that make last year’s mess into a sudden contender. 

Now, all of that stuff combined should definitely net us a playoff spot. That to be is the bare minimum to consider this coming season a reasonable success. 

No one said in one year but n the next 2-3 yes they need to be there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elmatus said:

That's what it is for me: these are the types of moves you make to put you over the top. You've made the playoffs, fallen short, and identified some more of your needs. Doing this when you fell short of the playoffs is a very. Big. Risk.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Well I have to admit...that meme fits Fletchers moves a heck of a lot more than  the word "crafty" does.

That's a bad contract for anyone not named Kevin or Mr. and Mrs. Hayes.

We will see

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brelic said:

He absolutely is. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have gotten it. That's how markets work. 

And Philly is not the only team that would have ponied it up. 

Jeff Skinner, career high 63 points (with Eichel feeding him the puck), $9M

Evander Kane, career high 57 points (7 years ago), $7M

Ryan O'Reilly, career high 64 points at the time of signing, $7.5M

Brock Nelson, career high 53 points, $6M

JVR, career high 62 points, $7M

We don't have to like it, but it is absolutely in line with other contracts. 

THIS!

I like Hayes and think he will slot nicely and provide some much need PK help.   Is the term and cost high?  Hell yes.  But, I think he would have gotten a similar contract on the open market truthfully.  At this point it is what it is and we have to see how it plays out.   

I think the team is better on paper than they were a few weeks ago.  Is that enough to contend?  Not so sure...  they *should* be a playoff team but we have heard that before.  No excuses this year - put up or shut up.

If there is any truth to Gudas' comments this team needs some fresh blood to come in and hopefully turn this team around.   If anything else things are different and I hope it shows on the ice.   

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, FlyersFan4Life said:

So one year he hit 50 points out of six years in the NHL. Sorry that's still way too much money and too long of a contract

Yeah, when it was still a hypothetical I said 6x6 was my ceiling and I thought that was pushing it.

I like the personnel moves.  I think they really do solidify our roster in the near term.  Still need a backup/tandem goalie and I'd like to add a RWer to my wishlist.

But that term and cap number is killer and I'm not sure it's justified.  I guess that's where the market is (which means the league is killing itself and we're heading for another lockout), but I think Hayes will be reviled the last 3, maybe 4 years of the deal.  

If they're legitimately thinking that Patrick just needs time to develop and will eventually take 2C, then the Flyers in a year or two will be paying $7M+/yr. for a 3C or 3RW.   That's if they're legitimately thinking Patrick has promise.  I think one message we should take from this is that they DON'T.    I would not be stunned if Patrick is involved in a move.  If not this postseason, by next.

8 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

But, I think he would have gotten a similar contract on the open market truthfully.

And now forces the Rangers to now find a better option for their 2nd line center spot than Ryan Strome...it sure ain't Brett Howden.

• Like 1