McKenzie: Hayes signed - 7 yrs / 50 milion

ruxpin

Do you like this signing?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the terms that the Flyers gave Hayes? (7 yrs / ~50 million)

• Yes - Best deal the Flyers could come up with
    • Yes - Glad he is a Flyers but signed for too much
    • Hell No! - Too much money. What is Fletcher doing to us???

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

With the NMC, Hayes has to be protected in the Seattle draft, so look forward to losing one of Lindblom, Provorov, Sanheim, Ghost, Konecny, or Morin.

I was fine with the deal as just the cost of doing business. Until I saw the NMC through the Seattle draft.

That's a big risk he's taking on believing that Kevin Hayes will deliver. 

For us as fans, let's hope he's right for most of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brelic said:

Until I saw the NMC through the Seattle draft.

That's a big risk he's taking on believing that Kevin Hayes will deliver. 

Doesn't matter he bombs the next two years Chuck won't be here anyways he won't care.

8 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

With the NMC, Hayes has to be protected in the Seattle draft, so look forward to losing one of Lindblom, Provorov, Sanheim, Ghost, Konecny, or Morin.

My biggest concern. The term is stupid. The dollars are stupid. The NMC is ridiculous.  Now we HAVE to protect him in the expansion draft. Great. 

I like that Fletcher hasn't dealt a 1st rounder or one of our top prospects....yet. But his moves all reek of Paul Holmgren. Who left the Flyers in shambles. Much like Fletcher left the Wild.

I guess this signing shouldn't surprise anyone.

• Like 3

I think a little tap on the breaks might be appropriate.  Everyone is hating on the GM, and I get it. Past history has provided us a long line of idiots and bad deals to be disgruntled about.

Im not going to get too worked about these moves right now. It looks to me like things are going in a positive direction, and the team is already better than it was.  Thats has me excited for a new season, with new hope. I dont care about the money or the contracts.  Im not a GM, and therefore I know little about what really goes on. If Hayes needs 3 seasons of guarantee, ok by me. Im sure they will find a way to get rid of him if they have to.  They always do (VLC). Im also not going to get hung up on his stats. Afterall, John Leclair only broke 50 points once in his first five seasons, and that wasnt until he came to philly.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

I know who you guys are.  I lurked for years and posted under the same name at the Philly.com boards.

Awesome,  glad you have now chosen to join in the conversation.  This site is so... much better.    :VeryCool:   

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

I know who you guys are.  I lurked for years and posted under the same name at the Philly.com boards.

Welcome!  I think I remember your name from years ago.  It sounds very familiar.  Glad to have you aboard. :cheers:

Edited by pilldoc

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Doesn't matter he bombs the next two years Chuck won't be here anyways he won't care.

I think Fletch has one more big move up his sleeve, and I'm not looking forward to it lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, brelic said:

I think Fletch has one more big move up his sleeve, and I'm not looking forward to it lol. 

Yes, I think this too, I too am not particularly looking forward to it.

However, To this point all that's been given up are a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a good hockey player that will contribute immediately, JB will make the team better, he cost some magic beans. A player who has topped out in terms of his growth, Gudas is an NHL player, not a difference maker, MacDonald a player we all hated for various reasons, mostly his contract and money that isn't mine.

I would have to step back from the ledge and say this has been mostly successful. I'm not wild about the projection of 34 year old Kevin Hayes making 7 million to skate on our 4th line in 2026.... but by then emperor Trump may have Hockey outlawed all together, you just never know. 

All the pretty things most of us value are still with the organization, our precious d prospects, all here, the beloved Travis Koneckny, still here, the whipping boy Nolan Patrick is still around to be called a bust... I mean things are actually pretty good. 

I don't know how I'll feel in a week  when Mitch Marner is wearing the orange and black, but I think I'll adjust, he's exciting. 

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

I think a little tap on the breaks might be appropriate. 

I agree it certainly is especially until we actually know what kind of team we have here....i mean if this team was to run all the way to the conference championship game would everyone still say it was a waste of resources??

I mean yes i know the title is what we want but in year one who knows what they have really yet damn it's June.

All i can say finish filling out the roster....and go from there....

flyers

...and remember they will only lose one player to the expansion draft...and let's be honest with all the talented players on the team now and all the kids soon to be here soon it's not like they were going to be able to keep them all anyways.

They hopefully will be prepared for the next one and will be able to still work something out with Seattle like many teams did the last time. 

Hey i get Chuck screwed up before so i know many thing he is doomed to repeat the process not get better.

• Like 1

Have they announced who Seattle's GM will be??

Man how crazy would it be if it is Ron Hextall....then getting to have one last laugh against the Flyers at the expansion draft??

ThickRewardingBinturong-size_restricted.gif

That would suck...

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't know how I'll feel in a week  when Mitch Marner is wearing the orange and black, but I think I'll adjust, he's exciting. 

I have to say I have a very different view over this. I'm ambivalent about getting a rental in JB, as that seems a move a team makes when they feel they're so close to a cup run, and I have no reason to believe this team is a contending threat right now. Granted, I know precious little about JB. But from what I've read, he doesn't exactly seem like a real impact player. I do know Niskanen much better, and I'm confident he is not an impact player at this point in his career. 

Hayes I'm fine with, but that overpayment is just... homeresque. Yeah we needed a 2C something fierce, but there just has to have been another option available out there. Again, I really don't mind Hayes at all, but 7x7 with the promise that he can't be exposed in the Seattle draft is just... aggravating. 

On the other hand, adding a potential franchise stud like Marner *is* a gamechanger now and in the future. That to me is exactly the kind of thing Fletch should be trying to do. I would much rather he do that then work around the edges by (hopefully) upgrading our dcorps, which personally I think should be vastly improved just by getting better coaching anyway.

I just feel like everything Fletch has done has been at such a cost to the future. They seem like moves a contender makes to get over the hump (and not necessarily great ones at that). Sure, the team should be better *this year*, but it seems like poor planning to me that Fletch would go all in right now. There's just no realistic basis for that given the team and their performance over the last 9 years. In our case, these feel more like moves made to just get into the playoffs. And it's plenty arguable we would have been able to do that just with our current squad given better coaching and goaltending for a full season.

Put another way, for all these moves to make sense, Fletch has to be banking on catching lightning in a bottle multiple times with multiple players (and coaches!). If that doesn't happen, he's essentially just made our future that much murkier in just one off season.

Edited by elmatus

4 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I have to say I have a very different view over this. I'm ambivalent about getting a rental in JB, as that seems a move a team makes when they feel they're so close to a cup run, and I have no reason to believe this team is a contending threat right now. 

On the other hand, adding a potential franchise stud like Marner *is* a gamechanger now and in the future. That to me is exactly the kind of thing Fletch should be trying to do. I would much rather he do that then work around the edges by (hopefully) upgrading our dcorps, which personally I think should be vastly improved just by getting better coaching anyway.

I just feel like everything Fletch has done has been at such a cost to the future. They seem like moves a contender makes to get over the hump (and not necessarily great ones at that). Sure, the team should be better, but it seems like poor planning to me that Fletch would go all in right now. There's just no realistic basis for that given the team and their performance over the last 9 years. 

Put another way, for all these moves to make sense, Fletch has to be banking on catching lightning in a bottle multiple times with multiple players. If that doesn't happen, he's essentially just made our future that much murkier in just one off season.

Where did the Marner thing come from? Is it legit or just fantasy rumor?

Just wondering what happens if Patrick outplays him in camp and pre-season and is forced to the third line for far too long so the org can save face with this ridiculous signing.

On the bright side, we have our new designated whipping boy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Clarke2Leach said:

Just wondering what happens if Patrick outplays him in camp and pre-season and is forced to the third line for far too long so the org can save face with this ridiculous signing.

On the bright side, we have our new designated whipping boy.

It's awesome that they have so much faith in their 2nd overall pick that they signed a 2nd line centre for SEVEN YEARS! I'm sure Nolan Patricks confidence just shot up through the stratosphere.

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

Maybe this takes some pressure off the kid. Its been argued that he was rushed. Now he can relax, learn his role under a new and develop his game. Hayes is now the guy who has to live up to the contract 

Sounds like a sound idea to me.

46 minutes ago, elmatus said:

. I'm ambivalent about getting a rental in JB, as that seems a move a team makes when they feel they're so close to a cup run, and I have no reason to believe this team is a contending threat right now.

See and that isn't what he is here for.

He is here to help Provorov or Sanheim or Ghost even to reach the next level in their understanding what they are supposed to within the system.

If he can provide that to help the kids grow he is worth it.

And who knows maybe he resigns for another year if it is successful.

And to me a Cup run right now would be just making the playoffs. The next step in the progression.

Baby steps.