Should we have traded down?

SpikeDDS

I'm not disappointed in the pick of Seider. He was the best Dman available and we needed a Dman more than anything else.

But I absolutely wonder if we shouldn't have traded down. We could have had him at 8-9 fairly safely. Maybe even 10.

I'm a bit perplexed. Maybe nobody was dealing?

I HOPE that our scouting team saw him right, because there was some real talent that we passed over.

Update: As I suspected, listening to Steve Yzerman in a post-first-round interview, he said they DID try to trade down their pick to the teams just below theirs, but no one was interested. That makes sense.

Unfortunately for the Wings, There was a glut of talent that was all at about the same level from 6 to Caufield, and none of the other teams felt the need to give up a decent lower-round pick to try to close a gap in talent that wasn’t there.

The only real chance that they might have had would have been if Spencer Knight was thought to have gone top-ten, and some team 10-15 really wanted him.  But nope.

i have a feeling this pick will be just fine. It starts to fill our biggest need at the blue line. And there is no denying the kid’s size and smarts. Hope he’s fast enough at the NHL pace. 

I DO think it helps that Stevie made the pick rather than Holland. People would be calling for KH’s head a lot more had he made the pick.

I told ya we had no chance at Bowen Byram. And the Dmen picks in the first round went  earlier than most predicted they would, not just us.

This kinda reminded me of the thread/discussion we had last year before the lottery determined we would have the 6th pick when I asked if we would take Svechnikov if he was still available or a Dman like Bouchard to fill our biggest need, and I said I would probably take the Dman, and I was about the only one who said that. And I might have been mistaken with the talent gap between Svech and the Dmen that were available, and we ended up going for talent level over position with Zadina. This year, we did the opposite, and I think it may have been wise as poor as our Dman talent pool is with the prospects in our system right now.

I just wish there had been a talent gap that stimulated more teams to try to move up so that we could have traded down, but it just wasn’t there. 

Edited by SpikeDDS