2019 Draft

Fargocase

Anyone actually watching this, this year?  Past years I was sitting on the edge of my seat...  Literally hollering at the TV - DRAFT STAFFORD!  DRAFT STAFFORD!!!  Or TRADE UP FOR PARISE!!! TRADE UP FOR PARISE!!!

Last year was so phucked up I couldn't accept what happened.  Stupidest Pick ever.   A total nobody.  WTF?!?! a huge understatement.  That guy was no Brent Burns.  An absolute total stupid waste of a 1st Round Pick.   This year I have zero faith in Fenton.  Is it possible the Pick is so crazy stupid again?!?!

Matthew Boldy.  Super safe, predictable Pick.   Talking heads happy because he's a concensus Pick.  Big American kid.  But not a Center.

As an incredibly jaded Wild fan, this is a solid Pick.   I am really glad they didn't do anything crazy stupid like last year.

23 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

Matthew Boldy.  Super safe, predictable Pick.   Talking heads happy because he's a concensus Pick.  Big American kid.  But not a Center.

As an incredibly jaded Wild fan, this is a solid Pick.   I am really glad they didn't do anything crazy stupid like last year.

But again, true to form, they take the safe pick. Should’ve taken Krebs...

22 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

But again, true to form, they take the safe pick. Should’ve taken Krebs...

I've heard more than one scout say that he may be the best goal scorer in this draft--his game translates very well to the NHL. He is one of those guys who hadn't been on the radar much until he turned 16, when he grew from 5'10 to 6'2. His game grew with him and he is currently on a pretty steep upward development curve.

This guy IMO is more than just a "safe" pick--he's currently got alot of game and his upside his very high..

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

I've heard more than one scout say that he may be the best goal scorer in this draft--his game translates very well to the NHL. He is one of those guys who hadn't been on the radar much until he turned 16, when he grew from 5'10 to 6'2. His game grew with him and he is currently on a pretty steep upward development curve.

This guy IMO is more than just a "safe" pick--he's currently got alot of game and his upside his very high..

I saw the US National Team once this year.  Very highly skilled team, with a ton of goal scorers and playmakers.  The biggest question for me, would be whose game DEFINITELY transfers to the NHL.  Lots of prognosticators out there.  From what I have heard:  No question on Hughes (rare player: high floor/crazy ceiling), Turcotte (high floor/high ceiling), Caulfield (lower floor/high to almost crazy ceiling - needs right environment/not likely on Wild), Zegras (looks to be solid floor/above average to high ceiling), and I would say Boldy (high floor/above average to high ceiling with right linemates and system).   In short, safe pick, but has potential to excel.  A much more sensible pick than what I was expecting - YES, we can phuck up our 1st round picks with the best of them (Thelen, Bouchard, Pouliot, Sheppard, Gillies, Cuma, Phillips, and the most inexplicable of them all: Johansson).  Boldy should outperform this group of dregs....but we did not push all our chips in on a potential boom/bust like Caulfield (I think he will excel, but wouldn't have on the Wild).  Fenton also could not afford to wait on another player like the Russian (Podkolzin), as he may not be here by the time he is available to Wild in 2 years, even though he may have the 'third highest ceiling' in this draft.  Just my $.02

22 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

I agree.  Big kid has good upside.  But you can't say that on this crazy paranoid tin hat website where Suter and Parise are the root of all evil and dictate every move of the franchise!

Paranoid is to say that you CANNOT state the above opinion on this website.  I don't disagree on Boldy.  The Wild also cannot afford to whiff in the early rounds of the draft any longer (like last year - they have spent their credibility with many STH's/fans).  Yet, Suter and Parise have been boat anchors on this franchise for years, DO go directly to CL, and from all indications DO have way too much say in line-ups, line-mates, TOI, coaching decisions (e.g. hiring their own, and inducing a firing).  Few would dispute these viewpoints by this point, and we still have years left - it was only going to be more obvious over the next several years.  Perhaps Fenton has finally realized this, and will de-emphasize their influence - which would be a good thing for the franchise,

37 minutes ago, 4Check said:

Appears to be a very solid pick.  Ya got hope Wroblewski's euphoria about Boldy is more truth than hyperbole..

I love his style of play. He's very aggressive offensively and prefers to attack rather than dump and chase--he'll force the play much like a center but can do it from the wing. He has a well developed defensive game as well.

Marian Hossa or Patrice Bergeron, anyone?

2 hours ago, Fargocase said:

I would also add that having his size and upside as a #2 or #3 W, is better than having the #5 or #6 C or D.  Wild need to quit drafting for need and draft the BPA.  The question for me came down to Boldy v Caulfield v Krebs.  Size is a challenge for 1-2 of them, while 1 also has an injury that might slow development and recovery.  I think each of them has significant upside, but Krebs maybe a fraction lower than Boldy and Caulfield.  Caulfield might be a generational scorer, but only in the RIGHT situation, which I don't think is the Wild (we also have too many small stature players like; Donato, Fiala, that we are building around).  Thus, Boldy seems to have the least risk, but still high potential reward.

11 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

I love his style of play. He's very aggressive offensively and prefers to attack rather than dump and chase--he'll force the play much like a center but can do it from the wing. He has a well developed defensive game as well.

Aggressive and Attacking are two adjectives that are compelling.  Did you hear the comparison of Boldy to Mikko Rantanen by one of the talking heads - that would be a pleasant surprise.

Wild Take Matthew Boldy 12th Overall

Had a great time having some food and beers at Reid's with @IllaZilla , my dad and my friend Aaron.  Here is my 2 cents on the Matthew Boldy selection.  Safe pick in some ways since this kid does play a little bit of defense despite his offensive skills, but they needed to draft a Top 6 center and passed up on two of them IMO.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

9 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

Another left wing, dictating another (probably bad) trade in the near future...

He's probably AT LEAST 2 years away before he's ready.  So its likely we remedy our overabundance of left wingers.  But it does nothing to address our aging group of centers though.  

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

He's probably AT LEAST 2 years away before he's ready.  So its likely we remedy our overabundance of left wingers.  But it does nothing to address our aging group of centers though.  

The only way he is more than 2 years away is if he goes to BC as he is planning to do. Looking at his development up to this point,

considering the group of players he's been competing with and against while on the national team, some of whom are expected to make at least some impact on the NHL immediately, seems like the only benefit he will gain by going to college, relating to his NHL career, is physical maturity.

As much as I like Boldy though, the Wild probably should have taken a guy like either Newhook or Krebs at #12.

It's interesting to watch the different team boards. Wild fans disappointed they got Boldy and flyers fans disappointed they didn't. 

Honestly, i think you guys did incredibly well here. He was very arguably BPA there and is a very good player.  YMMV, but at #12 in the draft, drafting based on current need might not be the way to go. Boldy is probably 2 years out (possibly a year) so a lot will likely change between now and then.  Fenton could trade one of your current wingers for another player he's never seen and knows nothing about. 

I think you guys did well. I can only imagine Fenton made a mistake. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, sweetshot said:

Hossa I can see.  Can't see him as P. Bergeron-type at all.   The fact that P. Bergeron is a Center pretty much ends the comparison right there for me.

11 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

Did you hear the comparison of Boldy to Mikko Rantanen by one of the talking heads - that would be a pleasant surprise.

That would be a true Best Case!  Thinking about it, I like the comparison!

17 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

Hossa I can see.  Can't see him as P. Bergeron-type at all.   The fact that P. Bergeron is a Center pretty much ends the comparison right there for me.

I only mentioned Bergeron because he's such a good 2-way player. Consensus by scouts is that Boldy has made major improvements in this regard to the point where he may even be a Selke type player as a winger.

Edited by sweetshot

9 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Another left wing, dictating another (probably bad) trade in the near future...

Pretty likely he'll play at least two years in Boston.  Then a pro development year getting AHL time and some games in the NHL to gain experience.  Three years from now the LW Depth chart could, I think will, be drastically different.

10 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wild Take Matthew Boldy 12th Overall

Had a great time having some food and beers at Reid's with @IllaZilla , my dad and my friend Aaron.  Here is my 2 cents on the Matthew Boldy selection.  Safe pick in some ways since this kid does play a little bit of defense despite his offensive skills, but they needed to draft a Top 6 center and passed up on two of them IMO.  

So you already anoint Krebs and Newhook NHL #1 Centers?   I highly doubt that will happen.