2019 Draft

Fargocase

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

It's interesting to watch the different team boards. Wild fans disappointed they got Boldy and flyers fans disappointed they didn't. 

Honestly, i think you guys did incredibly well here. He was very arguably BPA there and is a very good player.  

This board unfortunately has been taken over by a group of "fans" who love to hate the team.  Everything sucks.

Skating issues. Inconsistent. Tries to get too cute.

Here's a clear illustration.  I love to look at mock drafts and I don't think Boldy dropped to the Wild in virtually any of them.   His US NTDP Coach raves about his skills and work ethic.   He's a goal scorer with a big shot and the Wild desperately needs goal scorers...   But since the Wild selected him, he sucks.

Edited by Fargocase
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Fargocase said:

Anyone actually watching this, this year?  Past years I was sitting on the edge of my seat...  Literally hollering at the TV - DRAF

There were actually quite a few folks in and out of the chat discussing every pick.  I thought Boldy was a nice pick for the Wild.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

I only mentioned Bergeron because he's such a good 2-way player. Consensus by scouts is that Boldy has made major improvements in this regard to the point where he may even be a Selke type player as a winger.

I read another article where they compared him to Mark Stone.   That looks to be a good Best Case comparison, too.   Bigger guy who supposedly can't skate but just scores goals and plays D good enough to get Selke attention.  Here's another close to home comparison - Tuch.  Big guy, not a great skater but like Stone, plenty good enough, who plays an all around game.  The more I read about this kid, the more I'm starting to absolutely love the Pick!

Best thing to me was reading US NTDP Coach talk about him being the first guy on the ice every time.  From the weight room to the ice!  I love that kind of work ethic.  You can be a Daigle or Princess Pouliot with tons of talent, but if you don't have the right attitude...    Sounds like this kid has a fantastic attitude and work ethic.  And you can't teach Size.  Even though the NHL is becoming more of a skating league again, it's still a very physical game, especially in the Playoffs.  The Centers after him are both under-sized.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

So you already anoint Krebs and Newhook NHL #1 Centers?   I highly doubt that will happen.

I think Krebs could certainly be a #1 center.  But they're both Top 6 centers.  We have two old foagies in that role right now and by the time they're ready the foagies should be out.   He has skill, scoring ability and a desire to do whatever it takes and plays with a consistency you don't see in many players his age.  A lot of people see the same traits in Ryan O'Reilly.   

Boldy is compared to James Neal.  Neal's game is the potential to score but also times where he's MIA.  Skating is just ok.  Haven't the Wild been down this road before of questionable skaters to see that is a problem?  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

23 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

This board unfortunately has been taken over by a group of "fans" who love to hate the team.  Everything sucks.

Here's a clear illustration.  I love to look at mock drafts and I don't think Boldy dropped to the Wild in virtually any of them.   His US NTDP Coach raves about his skills and work ethic.   He's a goal scorer with a big shot and the Wild desperately needs goal scorers...   But since the Wild selected him, he sucks.

(yawn)  That's right, because you are the pre-eminent homer?  :rolleyes:  This team is crap right now.  Even your boy Parise is having second thoughts.  But hey, stay in denial...

I ‘m going to side with fargo to a point. This board has gotten a little on the negative side. 

Let’s give this Brody the time he needs and see where he shakes out. 

But if fenton can learn from his mistakes and not pull another johanson pick I’ll give him a chance. 

I'm not arguing that skating isn't very important in the NHL  But skating without other attributes is useless.  It's just one of a list.

Boldy turning into a James Neal player would be the ultimate Best Case scenario!  But I don't see that happening because James Neal is an anachronism in the current NHL.   He's a throw back to the old Power Forward days.  J. Neal will score goals but he'll also smash a guy's head into the boards and then drop the gloves against the other team's tough guy.   Very, very few true old school Power Forwards left.   I don't think Boldy will ever develop that kind of tough guy persona, but it would be fantastic if he developed the goal scoring!

I agree the Wild have a problem at Center.   We'll see if Fenton can address it another way - there's always the trade or UFA routes.  I never liked Greenway at Center.   Now I think they need to play Kunin there, give him a long look.   Anyone who still thinks EEk could develop into a Top 2 Center is deluded IMO.

20 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(yawn)  That's right, because you are the pre-eminent homer?  :rolleyes:  This team is crap right now.  Even your boy Parise is having second thoughts.  But hey, stay in denial...

Yes, the team's future is very bleak now after Fenton's fire sale gutting of the franchise. The trades went from Terrible to Bad to Outrageous/Absurd.   Obviously this team is no longer remotely near a "Reload" or tweaking phase, it's 100% into Rebuild mode. 

My problem is the repetitive, unceasing over the top, irrational hate against Parise and Suter, the IMO ridiculous Oliver Stone ranting that Parise and Suter are telling Leipold what to do, who's telling the GM what to do who's telling BB what to do on a daily, micromanaging basis.  I absolutely agree that Yeo totally kowtowed to the Vets.   IMO that ended with BB coming on board.

Edited by Fargocase

26 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

Yes, the team's future is very bleak now after Fenton's fire sale gutting of the franchise. The trades went from Terrible to Bad to Outrageous/Absurd.   Obviously this team is no longer remotely near a "Reload" or tweaking phase, it's 100% into Rebuild mode. 

My problem is the repetitive, unceasing over the top, irrational hate against Parise and Suter, the IMO ridiculous Oliver Stone ranting that Parise and Suter are telling Leipold what to do, who's telling the GM what to do who's telling BB what to do on a daily, micromanaging basis.  I absolutely agree that Yeo totally kowtowed to the Vets.   IMO that ended with BB coming on board.

I don't think it did and I have reason to believe little has changed.  In all honesty, I think the veterans are less a collective voice of control as they are on their own islands.  That's what I read into the report that Fenton went to each of #9, #20 and #11 to get them to buy in and ask that they pull the rope together and in the same direction.  I think Parise still wants to win, which is why after the season he looked devastated and is worried he's hitched to a team that is going nowhere and understands the end of the career is within sight.  I don't think Boudreau wants to let the vets run the show, but I don't think he has total control either.  He was forced to playing Bitetto even though no coach every should've been compelled to play him.  If he doesn't have the power to decide who is playing on his 3rd pairing, do you really think he can tell Suter what his ice / power play time will be?  

I don't think Parise is making those demands, but he came close with the Adam Oates thing and that did help destabilize Yeo's authority and ultimately led towards the team giving up on him and his firing.  So far the team hasn't given up on Boudreau, yet...we'll see if it happens especially if success is hard to come by this upcoming season.  

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

There were actually quite a few folks in and out of the chat discussing every pick.  I thought Boldy was a nice pick for the Wild.  

I actually cheered when Arizona took Soderstrom...I didn't like the thought of another smallish, right shot Swedish defenseman with limited offensive ability.  

3 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(shrugs) i don't read your board enough to comment on the homer thing, but I think you're grossly undervaluing the player you drafted.  I'm actually really jealous about it. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tomdog said:

I’m just happy Fenton didn’t draft some kid at 5’8” 160 lbs. 

at least Boldly has the legitimate size to excell in the nhl. 

Yeah, like some Hart Trophy winner Kucherov, 5'11", 179...

You need to be fast more than big these days. I've read a review saying Boldy isn't fast. Is he or is he not?

47 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

(shrugs) i don't read your board enough to comment on the homer thing, but I think you're grossly undervaluing the player you drafted.  I'm actually really jealous about it. 

Well it isn't horrible.  Its not like last year...but I think we passed on some better players that fit the long-term needs of the organization.  Krebs is going to be a great player iMO.  

3 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Yeah, like some Hart Trophy winner Kucherov, 5'11", 179...

You need to be fast more than big these days. I've read a review saying Boldy isn't fast. Is he or is he not?

That’s a 20 lb difference. Not even close 

6 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

He's not fast.  

Yeah, he's not a speedster. He's not what i would call slow or plodding or anything, but he won't be one of the fastest guys on the team, I don't think. 

What does everyone think of Day 2 of the draft for the Wild?  Beckman is probably the one player that intrigues me, maybe Firstov if he can figure out some consistency.  The goalies might be something, but years down the road.  But for the most part all long-term projects.  

12 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, he's not a speedster. He's not what i would call slow or plodding or anything, but he won't be one of the fastest guys on the team, I don't think. 

(shrugs)  Yet if we really want to have replacements for Koivu / Staal...we have to draft them.  People can talk about Best Player Available all they want...but you'll never address your needs affordably if you don't draft those players to replace them.  Otherwise we end up paying through the nose in free agency or have to mortgage off a ton of other assets to swing a trade for a player like that.  

18 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

He's not fast.  

I've read a ton about this guy and some scouts say skating is not his strong suit. But never to the point that it will hold him back, so to speak.

I've also read some scouts saying he is a strong skater, and some not bringing up his skating at all.

He's not slow. For me, he passes they eye test.

Edited by sweetshot
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(shrugs)  Yet if we really want to have replacements for Koivu / Staal...we have to draft them.  People can talk about Best Player Available all they want...but you'll never address your needs affordably if you don't draft those players to replace them.  Otherwise we end up paying through the nose in free agency or have to mortgage off a ton of other assets to swing a trade for a player like that.  

Agree 100%. I think they probably should have drafted a center here as well, but in no way does that influence my opinion of Boldy as a prospect.