Flyers Draft: Trade #11 move back to #14 - Cam York (D)

pilldoc

Flyers 2019 Draft  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree trading back?

• Yes - we gained a 2nd round pick we lost
    • No
  2. 2. Do you agree with Cam York as the #14 pick. (discuss below)

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

Flyers trade #11 with Arizona, move back to #14. Gain a 2nd pick back.

With the #14 pick...Flyers draft...

https://thehockeywriters.com/cam-york-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Cam York

2018-19 Team: USNDT (#2)
Date of Birth: Jan 5, 2001
Place of Birth: Anaheim Hills, CA
Ht: 5 foot 11 Wt: 175 pounds.
Position: D

Cam York is so good offensively that it’s easy to forget sometimes that he’s actually a defender.

One of the more electric players coming out of the 2019 NHL Draft Class, York is the best pure offensive defenseman available in the draft. Outside of being slightly undersized at only 5 foot 11 and 175 pounds, York has everything teams covet in offensive defenseman with quick and smooth skating, an elite shot and tremendous passes that almost always find their mark.

Whether it’s his slap shot, wrist shot or a pass attempt, York is more than capable of moving the puck where he wants it to go with decisiveness and emphasis.

That ability lends itself to York’s power play potential as he’s also primed to be the quarterback of an NHL squad’s power-play unit one day given his skillset.

In 63 games last season, York scored 14 goals and 65 points while also adding a jaw-dropping 11 points (four goals) in just seven WJC games.

While York brings all of this and more offensively to his teams blue-line, he still lacks defensively and that could limit where he ultimately ends up in the 2019 Draft Class.

While some have York going somewhere in the top-12 range, others have him falling all the way to the bottom half of the first round. It isn’t hard to understand why either when looking at some of the high-end forwards that fill this year’s draft class.

Teams looking to find a No. 1 defender will likely shy away from York. Teams looking to find a solid two-to-four, however, should look no further as York’s offensive potential is off the charts.

It may sound like a broken record at this point, but anybody who’s seen York play has come away knowing just how talented he is on the ice. Some seasoning defensively could help push him to the next level and there have been many offensive-minded defenders in the past who have picked up enough of a defensive prowess after being drafted who have become successful NHL defenders despite pre-draft analysis.

Cam York – NHL Draft Projection

If teams are able to look past York’s defensive deficiencies, he could be a top-10 pick. That said, it makes more sense for a team to draft him somewhere in the 12-15 range as he still projects to fit a top-four need given how elite he is offensively. Teams need that kind of production.

Quotables

“A mobile and calm defender with tremendous skating ability. Effective on the power play and owns the mobility needed to clean up any mistakes he makes.” – Cam Robinson, Dobber Prospects

“Puck moving defenceman who can get it done on the power play, his U18 numbers are amongst the best single tournament totals ever put up by a defenceman with 11 points in seven games.” – Sam Cosentino, Sportsnet

“York is a solid, complete two-way defender. His hockey sense is high end, lending itself to smart decision-making under pressure and excellent passing ability, though he could stand to get his own shot on net more consistently. ” – Hannah Stuart, The Scoret

Strengths

Skating

High Hockey IQ

Quick

Passing

Shooting

Vision

Edgework

Under Construction (Improvements to Make)

Defensive positioning

Puck handling

Size could be a concern for some teams

NHL Potential

The best offensive defender in this entire class, York has top-four NHL potential. His defensive ability may hold him back from ever becoming a true No. 1 in the NHL but he certainly has the tools necessary to get there if he puts the work in.

Edited by pilldoc

I am sure from the chat room most know I like this pick very much, especially recovering our pick in the second round.

Kid looks like a great 200 foot player that could captain the powerplay in the future. I like his clean passing and his shots from the point seem to find there way through much more often than not.

I know most are hating on this pick as well as hating on everything Fletch has done but can we stop being freaking typical of how we act anymore as a fan base and give Fletch and his moves some time to....I...I don't know actually get on the ice first?

One thing I am in agreement on though is the Hayes contract, that scares the crap out of me, I Pray Hayes can be anywhere in the 60-70 point range "wishful thinking" year in and year out, that would help ease the pain of that contract.

Edited by Philly29
  • Thanks 1

Cam York Scouting Report

Defence — shoots Left
Born May 1st, 2001 — Anaheim Hills, California
Height 5’11” — Weight 174 lbs [180 cm / 79 kg]

Skating

York is a very good skater. He has good but not great speed and acceleration in both directions. However, it is his outstanding edgework, agility, and pivots that really set him apart. York’s footwork allows him to maintain good gap control in the defensive end. It also allows him to make quick movements in the offensive zone, helping him get open to receive a pass when he does not have the puck or to create a shooting or passing lane with it. It is this strong skating ability that gives York the ability to play a strong two-way game. He is also strong on his skates. York has good balance, helping him to battle in front of the net and on the boards.

Offensive Game

York’s biggest asset is his hockey sense. He usually makes smart decisions both with and without the puck. York joins the rush and pinches at the right times. He also makes the right breakout pass and can skate the puck out of danger when necessary. This allows him to create offence while still maintaining his defensive responsibilities. York has excellent vision and the passing skills to quarterback the power play. He can put the puck through tight spaces and can set up teammates on both his forehand and backhand. He sees and anticipates the movements his teammates will make.

York also has a hard shot but needs to get better at getting it through shooting lanes and on the net. While his skating gives him the ability to create those shooting lanes, he sometimes rushes to get a shot off and does not always take advantage of his abilities. Being a little more patient would help him here. York likes to sneak down from the point and use his wrist shot from the top of the faceoff circles.

Defensive Game

York’s strong skating ability allows him to maintain gap control, and to keep opponents to the outside, playing a strong defensive game. His quick stick poke checks opponents and creates turnovers. He also reads the play well and his positioning is strong. His ability to move the puck up the ice quickly helps to clear the zone and minimize the opponent’s zone time. York could stand to play a bit more physical though.

Projection and Comparison

York’s game is reminiscent of Keith Yandle, but this is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on skill or ability. He could develop into a top pairing defender with the ability to move the puck up the ice, create offence from the back end, and quarterback the power play. Some time in the NCAA to bulk up as well as to continue to work on using his skating to create shooting lanes would help him going forward.  He’s likely two to three years away from being NHL ready.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always thought Cam York reminded me of Josh Morrissey. It's not a bad pick. I wanted Soderstrom, but Fletcher said he was relying on his scouts this draft and if they identified York as the best defenseman, then I'm not going to question it. They've got a record of hitting on their first round picks and if York hits, that's yet another good defenseman they've hit on. 

I mentioned on another forum that it could be worse. Could you imagine how bat **** crazy people would be if they drafted Kaliyev?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

York has excellent vision and the passing skills to quarterback the power play. He can put the puck through tight spaces and can set up teammates on both his forehand and backhand. He sees and anticipates the movements his teammates will make.

14 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

His quick stick poke checks opponents and creates turnovers. He also reads the play well and his positioning is strong.

Those are no doubt the main thing's that I have noticed while watching York's highlights. I believe he will be a very, very good two way 200 ft player with how well he can back / poke check, as well as Captain a powerplay with how well he controls the PP from the point.

Edited by Philly29

1 hour ago, Philly29 said:

Isnt he like 5'7"? 

No that was Caulfield.

He is 5-11.

I miss read that.

Yes Caulfield is 5-7 170 teeny tiny.

He did put up 72 goals in 64 games.

Best pure sniper in the draft.

I have to do some more research on York.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Thanks 1

It's not a horrible pick, and I guess he can eventually replace the young defenceman we'll likely lose to Seattle thanks to the awesome NTC Hayes got. Getting a 2nd takes away the sting a bit, depending on who they take. I don't get passing on Boldy when he falls into your lap. Then passing on Krebs AND Caufield when they fall, yet again, into your lap. But York should be a good player. Good skater, smart,  his shot leaves a lot to be desired. lets just hope they can sign him. Seems more and more college players don't want to sign with the team that drafts them.

Edited by flyercanuck

Yeah, getting these college players on their ELCs is becoming a major concern.  Loosing Allison is looking like a distinct possibility now, too.  Going with Caulfield would've been a wise marketing move that likey would have pleased, dare I say all of flyerdom, let alone probably BPA...

From ESPN analysis....

Scouting report: York is often described as the modern-day defenseman. He jumps into plays with relative ease and has good instincts for when he has to get back. I thought his defensive game improved greatly over the past two seasons without sacrificing offense. His puck retrievals and sense for getting out of his own zone are among the best in this draft because he follows that first touch with decisive play. He still has to round out his game more and continue to build strength as an average-sized defenseman, but there's a lot to like in what he's done and how he progressed this season. -- Peters

Team fit: The Flyers did extremely well in trading down to get an extra asset (No. 45 overall) while still getting a defenseman who plays the game the way the NHL is going. The Flyers have been loading up on prospects in recent years and have some really good forwards, so why not nab a high-end offensive defensman to get the puck to them? -- Peters

Where York is most likely to play in 2019-20: NCAA (Michigan)

York will be fine, provided we can sign him. 

I'm sad we didn't get Boldy. That kid is going to be good and has some side. He plays leftwing, though, so maybe there was some "what are we going to do with him" given our near term depth at that position. 

I am not too upset about Caufield. There is justification for not being concerned about his size.  But this is Philly. He would have been concussed running face first into someone's hip and would never be the same.  Given the choices at 14, I'd have probably stayed away. 

Krebs would have been a brave but smart choice. 

I'm good, though, with keeping the pipeline coming on defense. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Philly29 said:

Why?

York is a solid prospect,  but how,  at that stage of the draft,  do you pass on a guy who scored 72 goals?  I don't care if he is as tall as Peter Dinklage.   Some great offensive players available at that point.   We have defensemen now that we don't know what to do with.

Edited by TimKerrFan12

3 hours ago, jackhole said:

Yeah, getting these college players on their ELCs is becoming a major concern.  Loosing Allison is looking like a distinct possibility now, too.  Going with Caulfield would've been a wise marketing move that likey would have pleased, dare I say all of flyerdom, let alone probably BPA...

Well let's be honest signing those two might be difficult too Cole is headed to Wisconsin and Boldy to BC.

I didn't realize the skill which York seems to possess he put up 65 points this past season in 63 games a USNDTP record for a defenseman and was +56.

So I am open to see how this goes I guess.

And to get the 45th pick too is a nice move.

I'm going to give it a chance.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

There is justification for not being concerned about his size. 

I know i was no one has ever been his size and taken with the 14th pick in the daft before.

I have been researching York since i woke at 7 am.

Once he puts on some more muscle in college and who knows by the time he is 21 he could be 6-1 or 6-2 he could look like a steal.

The game tape is impressive as hell watching him move and handle the puck.

Very quick on his skates and has some wiggle avoiding the opposition. Guess we'll see when he is done with college.

You never know he could be a one and done like Farabee and then bam on the Phantoms.

I agree Boldy and Krebs i was thinking too. But i guess we have to trust the guys who do this for a living and see what happens.

1 hour ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

York is a solid prospect,  but how,  at that stage of the draft,  do you pass on a guy who scored 72 goals? 

How do you pass on a defenseman who set a record for points for a defenseman in the USNTDP with 65 in 63 games???

Caulfield put up 100 points and York put up 65...but one is on the blueline....that is rare.

But one thing i was thinking is by the time this kid even arrives on the Flyers after college and say two years in the AHL Provorov and Sanheim will be about to turn 28. Ghost will be about to be 31.

So this could end up being a genius move....we just won't know for half a decade and that sounds like a long time.

Just think about that Sanheim was taken in the first round of 2014 and now 5 years later we are waiting to see what he will blossom into.

• Like 1

The whole fascination with size confuses me at this point.  There are so many smaller players in the NHL that put up points and are successful NHL players.  We will have plenty of size with on the blue line and 5'11" is far from small.  We traded back a few spots, got a 2nd, and still got a player our scouts were targeting.  It was a no brainer.  We got a smart offensive defenseman that showed great improvement without the puck while still putting up numbers.  By the time he is pro ready he will be even more complete.  

16 minutes ago, sekkes85 said:

The whole fascination with size confuses me at this point.  There are so many smaller players in the NHL that put up points and are successful NHL players.  We will have plenty of size with on the blue line and 5'11" is far from small.  We traded back a few spots, got a 2nd, and still got a player our scouts were targeting.  It was a no brainer.  We got a smart offensive defenseman that showed great improvement without the puck while still putting up numbers.  By the time he is pro ready he will be even more complete.  

If Krebs and caufield weren't available, most people would have be fine with the pick. I'm good with it, it just wasn't great IMO. Getting the 2nd was fine though.

• Like 1