Flyers Draft: Trade #11 move back to #14 - Cam York (D)

pilldoc

Flyers 2019 Draft  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree trading back?

• Yes - we gained a 2nd round pick we lost
    • No
  2. 2. Do you agree with Cam York as the #14 pick. (discuss below)

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know i was no one has ever been his size and taken with the 14th pick in the daft before.

I have been researching York since i woke at 7 am.

Once he puts on some more muscle in college and who knows by the time he is 21 he could be 6-1 or 6-2 he could look like a steal.

The game tape is impressive as hell watching him move and handle the puck.

Very quick on his skates and has some wiggle avoiding the opposition. Guess we'll see when he is done with college.

You never know he could be a one and done like Farabee and then bam on the Phantoms.

I agree Boldy and Krebs i was thinking too. But i guess we have to trust the guys who do this for a living and see what happens.

Yeah. I have to say I'm not shocked about defenseman. I kind of assumed defenseman because the team telegraphed defenseman. I just didn't know which one and actually thought I was wrong when they traded back and let Arizona take Soderstrom. 

Krebs might have been nice, and Boldy if they'd kept #11, by good job on getting the 2nd back, and i understand the pick. 

I really didn't want Caulfield. I thought he was a bad idea. 

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

The GM figured out how to get a 2nd round pick back?

This guy sucks and should be run out of town

Funny it's not only some people on this board who feel that way about him...

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/philadelphia-flyers-offseason-conerning-bad-moves-133229379.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Krebs might have been nice, and Boldy if they'd kept #11, by good job on getting the 2nd back, and i understand the pick. 

I really didn't want Caulfield.

A very nice move by Chuck....might rival Hextall's move up to get Ratcliffe...to get York and Brink and very nice first draft.

Top 6 points per game last year in USHL

1) Turcotte - 2.125
2) Hughes - 2.0
3) Brink - 1.581
4) Boldy - 1.536
5) Zegras - 1.481
6) Caulfield - 1.464

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

A very nice move by Chuck....might rival Hextall's move up to get Ratcliffe...to get York and Brink and very nice first draft.

Top 6 points per game last year in USHL

1) Turcotte - 2.125
2) Hughes - 2.0
3) Brink - 1.581
4) Boldy - 1.536
5) Zegras - 1.481
6) Caulfield - 1.464

Whoa. I'm camping so haven't seen anything. Came here first. They got Brink? With 45? How is that possible? That's freaking awesome. 

EDIT:  Wait. Just checked. How did they get #34? 

Edited by ruxpin

40 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Whoa. I'm camping so haven't seen anything. Came here first. They got Brink? With 45? How is that possible? That's freaking awesome. 

EDIT:  Wait. Just checked. How did they get #34? 

Traded 45 and 65 to Nashville.

5 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

oh wait?...so everything is ok?! Fletch is a genius?!

I don't follow junior hockey so all these names are new to me, but sounds like this pick-up at #34 was a good find....I think we struck gold with a small second rounder once.... :)

well I don't know about all that.

I get some of the general skepticism about the moves so far this year. 

For me I hope the huge Hayes contract doesn't cost us a quality young guy. In reality that is the way of the NHL. I remember Chicago found and developed all those guys and looked like a true dynasty, they had Saad kicking around on their 3rd line...but they couldn't keep them all. It's a shame. Look at Toronto turning themselves inside out to keep their young talent. So the Hayes contract represents the losing of a quality youngster down stream someplace and that stinks, would an extra 1.5 million of cap space help...probably.

With regards to the defenseman trades and buyouts.  the Flyers got better players with only short term commitments . There is nothing saying the Flyers must resign Justin Braun or Matt Niskanen, in two years both those guys are gone, that money becomes available. In two years hopefully the young defenders are ready for more responsibility and losing those guys is no big deal.  This is where I don't get the freak outs.  Gudas isn't better than either of those guys and Andrew MacDonald isn't either.   So Gudas is on a better contract, he's a 5/6 ability wise and this group needs our veterans to have some dynamic qualities to their game.  Phil Myers doesn't care what Andrew saw from the press box, and when Gudas speaks up about when to pinch or when pass or skate he's already got the same level of insight and ability. Those guys needed to go to get the young guys to a different level. 

Chuck's draft was good. He also appears to be attempting to generate some goodwill among his peers, that might not hurt down the line either.  The job is managing people and relationships as well money. Perhaps taking on some salary for a year now makes for solid our way down the road. 

I would like to think he learned from his first go around. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

well I don't know about all that.

I get some of the general skepticism about the moves so far this year. 

For me I hope the huge Hayes contract doesn't cost us a quality young guy. In reality that is the way of the NHL. I remember Chicago found and developed all those guys and looked like a true dynasty, they had Saad kicking around on their 3rd line...but they couldn't keep them all. It's a shame. Look at Toronto turning themselves inside out to keep their young talent. So the Hayes contract represents the losing of a quality youngster down stream someplace and that stinks, would an extra 1.5 million of cap space help...probably.

I agree. 

With regards to the defenseman trades and buyouts.  the Flyers got better players with only short term commitments . There is nothing saying the Flyers must resign Justin Braun or Matt Niskanen, in two years both those guys are gone, that money becomes available. In two years hopefully the young defenders are ready for more responsibility and losing those guys is no big deal.  This is where I don't get the freak outs.  Gudas isn't better than either of those guys and Andrew MacDonald isn't either.   So Gudas is on a better contract, he's a 5/6 ability wise and this group needs our veterans to have some dynamic qualities to their game.  Phil Myers doesn't care what Andrew saw from the press box, and when Gudas speaks up about when to pinch or when pass or skate he's already got the same level of insight and ability. Those guys needed to go to get the young guys to a different level. 

I'm not "freaking out" about Fletchers trades...to me it just seems like more of the same as what he did in Minnesota and what Homer did in Philly. Move out younger players and picks for 30 -somethings that only help keep us mediocre until they're gone...meanwhile the younger guys are still playing. And of course theres the overpayment/over term NTC of a decent but hardly gamebreaking Kevin Hayes. If that moves doesn't scream Homer/Fletcher what does?

Buying out McDud was a no-brainer move. Hextall didn't have that luxury because of the term left on the contract.

Chuck's draft was good. He also appears to be attempting to generate some goodwill among his peers, that might not hurt down the line either.  The job is managing people and relationships as well money. Perhaps taking on some salary for a year now makes for solid our way down the road. 

His draft was fine...cause he let the scouting dept. do it. Hopefully he never overthinks this. His moves in the 1st and 2nd round were smart.

As for learning from his first go round...see above. I see him helping other teams with their cap...and basically doing Fletcher stuff.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

Your first point suggests he loyaly followed the Homer plan.

Your second suggests he followed the advice of his people for success.

These two things contradict each other. Is he a blind "yes" man, or an effective manager?

You also seem to suggest he has no ability to make decisions in his own, or learn from past mistakes.  If thats true, how did he ever become an NHL GM? And if its true, and the Flyers hired him, they are the most incompetent pro sports franchise since Al Davis ran the Oakland Raiders, and we are doomed to ineptitude

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

There is nothing saying the Flyers must resign Justin Braun or Matt Niskanen, in two years both those guys are gone

Or they could even get the Mike Comrie 21 games treatment and then shipped out. Right now it is too hard to say what they have.

Or dare i say they both work out and they help Provorov and Sanheim form one of the top bluelines in the NHL...i know we're not allowed to discuss something good happening to the Flyers so i promise that is the last i speak of that...back to the sky is falling...come October.

I'm just going to patiently wait to see how it all begins...then i may reorder my Gamecenter season or worse case...not.

I did learn that lesson last year....i have better things to do with $100....but i prefer to spend it on hockey.

• Like 1

Gudas isn't better than either of those guys and Andrew MacDonald isn't either.

Forgot to add this to my last comment. I agree.

REPORTED!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

Just now, flyercanuck said:

It took some old lady shoving him down an escalator for him to get here.

That just never gets old. Gold.

Such good times was Silly.com. It's where I met you lot! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ctid said:

But the game changer for me was Bobby Brink after reading a ton about him. Instead of drafting Caufield and most likely then a DMan with much much lesser upside in the 2nRd, we came away with possibly the 2nd best dman of the draft AND a sniper, much in the mould of Caufield, but better defensively. Caufield's ceiling is a little higher, but many believe Brink is a top 20 prospect, and has untapped offensive potential.

I keep hearing things about his (poor) skating, but I don't necessarily see it. It seems more like, among his many strengths (IQ, puck handling) skating is the least impressive. 

Anyway, I love the pick in part because of how they got him. One thing about the draft is that it functions according to the laws of physics: once a guy starts rising he keeps rising (and vice versa). The fact that the Flyers got Brink at 34 is amazing considering how fast he was rising.

29 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

The fact that the Flyers got Brink at 34 is amazing considering how fast he was rising.

From what i have read it's mechanics and easily fixable and besides maybe this is like the mono that helped Coots fall to their laps.

In a few years he could end up being the steal of the first two rounds...we'll know more by his sophomore year of college...as long as he stays away from the keg stands...