2019 Draft: Round #2 - #34 Overall - Bobby Brink (RW)

pilldoc

2019 Draft Round #2  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with this pick

• Yes
    • No

https://thehockeywriters.com/bobby-brink-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Bobby Brink

2018-19 Team: Sioux City Musketeers

Rankings

NHL Central Scouting: 19th (among NA Skaters)

Future Considerations: 22nd

Hockeyprospect.com: 15th

ISS: 26th

Dobber Prospects: 15th

Brink has been slowly and surely rising up the draft rankings since the start of the season. After being the 16th overall pick in the 2017 USHL draft, the winger became a star in the league this past season. He exploded for 35 goals and 68 points in 43 regular-season games while adding a pair of assists in Sioux City’s two playoff games.

After his season in USHL ended, Brink was added to Team USA’s roster for the U18 World Championship. While it was hard to grab the spotlight on a team featuring stars like Jack Hughes and Cole Caufield, he scored three goals and six points in his five tournament games.

Brink has one of the best shots in the 2019 draft class. His wrist shot is accurate and his release is quick and deadly. He also has soft hands and great hand-eye coordination, so he excels at deflections and scoring off of rebounds. His play-making abilities are also highly touted as his stick-handling, vision and passing skills that set up plenty of scoring chances for his teammates.

He is hardly a liability in his own zone either. He is quick to provide back pressure and will support his defensemen down low. He has good vision and gets in the passing lanes to create turnovers and get the puck going the other way. Brink is not afraid to get physical to win a battle along the boards and will absorb a big hit in order to make a play.

Brink has the skillset that every NHL general manager could use on their roster. Look for the winger to be selected in the late first round. It would be a big surprise if he drops to the second round, and if he does, he will be picked up quickly.

“A deadly offensive player with quick hands, quick feet, and a nose for finishing plays. He’s been tearing the USHL apart at nearly a goal-per-game rate while adding a standout performance at the World Junior A Championships. The Denver commit is a player to watch rise up the ranks. A broken ankle has derailed his hot play.” Cam Robinson/Dobber Prospects

“With quick feet, quick hands and a quick mind, Brink has been a standout so far in his first full USHL season, currently leading the league in points with 33 in just 19 games. Despite his diminutive size, he is dangerous around the net, assertively finding open space and loose pucks.” Derek Neumeier/Future Considerations

“Bobby Brink is a highly skilled player. He can manipulate the puck and make plays in ways that most players cannot. All players, but especially immensely talented players like Brink, are at their best when they have options with the puck. If one of these skilled players only has two options, that’s only two ways that they can put that skill to use.” Sam Happi/Draft Geek

NHL Potential

If he maximizes his potential, Brink could easily develop into a top-six NHL forward. He will need time to develop both his overall game and body. He will need to fill out and add strength in order to compete at the highest level. Playing the next two to three seasons at Denver should help with said development.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Thanks 1

• hf101 unlocked this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 3:26 PM, pilldoc said:

Brink has one of the best shots in the 2019 draft class.

Slow morning and tired of the same ol topics.

So after watching a few videos what jumps out to me is this kid's vision and being able to find the open guys and the open ice.

I can see him being a Johnny Gaudreau type of player and who knows he just turned 18 a week ago he could still sprout up to 6 foot plus maybe.

I have to say i am impressed with Chuckles ability to move up and snag this kid.

We will see how he has blossomed in 3-4 years from now.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So after watching a few videos what jumps out to me is this kid's vision

Kid's got a pretty good shot too, looks like he disguises it well then it's like he's throwing a dart.

You're right, it will be interesting to see what becomes of him, there's a lot to like in his highlight reel. 

I'm sure he loafs and is dumb like all our other players though. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

Kid's got a pretty good shot too, looks like he disguises it well then it's like he's throwing a dart.

You're right, it will be interesting to see what becomes of him, there's a lot to like in his highlight reel. 

I'm sure he loafs and is dumb like all our other players though. :ph34r:

Yeah and i put the Johnny Hockey comparison on him too so i am sure to get lectured by some know it all scout hiding here too...

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah and i put the Johnny Hockey comparison on him too so i am sure to get lectured by some know it all scout hiding here too...

It's an obvious comparison to make given their size. I think Gaudreau skated better at the same age. But, Brink beat Gaudreau's scoring record for a season, no?

11 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

But, Brink beat Gaudreau's scoring record for a season, no?

Not sure did he i will have to research...and i seen another scout label him in the Johnny Hockey realm so i can't take credit for it i just repeated it....however it if he turned out to be like that you'll hear no complaint from me...

15 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

But, Brink beat Gaudreau's scoring record for a season, no?

I'm guessing you mean USHL season???

That would be no.

Johnny in 60 games put up 36 goals 36 assists for 72 points +21

Brink in 43 games put up 35 goals and 33 assists in 68 games +23 

But as you can see if Brink had played the 17 games he had less than Johnny it is no doubt he out produce his stats.

Still very good comparisons i say....

...maybe the kid grows a couple more inches and put on some more muscle from all the keg stands in college....

:cheers:

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I have to say i am impressed with Chuckles ability to move up and snag this kid.

Great point and I agree.

I know some (many? most?) wanted Caulfield at 14 (and 11), but I think Fletch made the smart move in snatching York in the 1st (best offensive defenseman in the draft) and recouping a 2nd to get Brink (who I think has similar potential to Caulfield). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brelic said:

Great point and I agree.

I know some (many? most?) wanted Caulfield at 14 (and 11), but I think Fletch made the smart move in snatching York in the 1st (best offensive defenseman in the draft) and recouping a 2nd to get Brink (who I think has similar potential to Caulfield). 

Yeah it's probably even money that Brink turns into a better pro than Caulfield. Arguably, Brink has more upside from a strictly dynamic puck skill perspective. Best hands in the draft I'd say.

So, I totally get the thinking behind it and I support it. I'm super happy with our first two picks, are you kidding?! And I don't like small guys (hello! Flyer fan). But it's a small guy/skilled game now. 

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah it's probably even money that Brink turns into a better pro than Caulfield. Arguably, Brink has more upside from a strictly dynamic puck skill perspective. Best hands in the draft I'd say.

So, I totally get the thinking behind it and I support it. I'm super happy with our first two picks, are you kidding?! And I don't like small guys (hello! Flyer fan). But it's a small guy/skilled game now. 

I really didn't want Caulfield coming into the draft. A lot of fans from various teams did, but I think he's a horrible risk that high. 

I really liked Brink coming into it, but not at 12. And I really didn't think we'd have a pick where it would be appropriate. There were some other forwards I wanted at 12, but York was a solid pick. I'm pretty happy with it. 

• Like 3