Wild sign Defenseman Hunt

IllaZilla

Sensible deal in terms of value at just $700k per season.  Now we have 7 defenseman under one-way contracts.  I guess we're already telling Belpedio, Soucy, Mennell etc they don't have a chance to make the team unless we decide to trade Spurgeon or Brodin or take anything to deal away Pateryn.  

6 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Sensible deal in terms of value at just $700k per season.  Now we have 7 defenseman under one-way contracts.  I guess we're already telling Belpedio, Soucy, Mennell etc they don't have a chance to make the team unless we decide to trade Spurgeon or Brodin or take anything to deal away Pateryn.  

All I can say is thank God he re-signed Hunt and NOT Bitetto...

• Like 3

Brad Hunt is a good retain.
Right price, seems to have the right skillset this team needs (speed, puck movement, shooting the puck), his possession metrics look good, and might be hungry to finally prove he belongs as an NHL regular after playing minimally all over the league with with other clubs.

I think overall the Wild are at their best when they play a speedy north-south instead of the bruising lumbering style they dabbled with and in that regard, Brad Hunt fits in just fine.

Also agree that Bitetto can go take a walk.
I suppose the Wild could sign him for a minimal contract as well, but I have to think there are easily guys in the minors who can step in and do better.

But yea, thumbs up on the Hunt signing.

12 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Brad Hunt is a good retain.
Right price, seems to have the right skillset this team needs (speed, puck movement, shooting the puck), his possession metrics look good, and might be hungry to finally prove he belongs as an NHL regular after playing minimally all over the league with with other clubs.

I think overall the Wild are at their best when they play a speedy north-south instead of the bruising lumbering style they dabbled with and in that regard, Brad Hunt fits in just fine.

Also agree that Bitetto can go take a walk.
I suppose the Wild could sign him for a minimal contract as well, but I have to think there are easily guys in the minors who can step in and do better.

But yea, thumbs up on the Hunt signing.

I wouldn't hire Bitetto to even be an usher.  He sucks.  

15 hours ago, Tomdog said:

My only question is can we pick up another right handed dman. Perhaps trade brodin for another righty or can hunt play both sides. 

Well, right now there are 7 defense-men on one-way contracts with the Wild.

Dumba-R

Pateryn-R

Spurgeon-R

Hunt-L

Seeler-L

Suter-L

Brodin-L

Bitetto-L (UFA)

Pateryns the worst right D. And we're stuck with him for two more years. But I'd leave the defense alone. They weren't the problem last season...or ever. It's always the forwards that refuse to shoot...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Well, right now there are 7 defense-men on one-way contracts with the Wild.

Dumba-R

Pateryn-R

Spurgeon-R

Hunt-L

Seeler-L

Suter-L

Brodin-L

Bitetto-L (UFA)

Pateryns the worst right D. And we're stuck with him for two more years. But I'd leave the defense alone. They weren't the problem last season...or ever. It's always the forwards that refuse to shoot...

It sad that we have 7 one-way D contracts with the Wild. Because we have in our system at least 2 very nice young right handed  D - Brennan Menell and Louie Belpedio which could be used well in a big club. Both like to shoot a lot. Another right handed D is our 1st round pick last year Filip Johansson. It seems he does not like to shoot a lot, but hope he could be a solid defensively minded defenseman in a future if trained the right way.

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

It sad that we have 7 one-way D contracts with the Wild. Because we have in our system at least 2 very nice young right handed  D - Brennan Menell and Louie Belpedio which could be used well in a big club. Both like to shoot a lot. Another right handed D is our 1st round pick last year Filip Johansson. It seems he does not like to shoot a lot, but hope he could be a solid defensively minded defenseman in a future if trained the right way.

Both Mennell and Belpedio have received qualifying offers. But I don’t see them up this season because, you know, it’s not a “rebuild”...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Both Mennell and Belpedio have received qualifying offers. But I don’t see them up this season because, you know, it’s not a “rebuild”...

You are probably right. But I still think on "to rebuild" or "not to rebuild" team's status that both players could be considered a nice tweaks into the body of the big club. Some one in a Wild organization must to take a crucial decision in a right time.

3 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

You are probably right. But I still think on "to rebuild" or "not to rebuild" team's status that both players could be considered a nice tweaks into the body of the big club. Some one in a Wild organization must to take a crucial decision in a right time.

Injuries happen all the time. I’m sure those two will see some ice time at the X this coming season. 

And Fenton hasn’t signed Spurgeon yet. If he can’t get a deal done, there is always the possibility he trades Spurgeon at the trade deadline. Which will open up a spot. 

I’m not worried about the defense. The defense has pretty much done their job over the years. It’s the offense that’s the problem. The offense thinks if they score one goal that’s good enough...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
9 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

#Givethisguymoreminutes #5on5 #PP #OT

Just came an idea. How about to build a consistent chemistry every time during the practice and then during the game for this trio - capable to move well, to control and to shoot the puck in open ice space on 3 on 3 in OT :

Fiala- Donato- Hunt. It should be a starting trio every time, because they are young, fast and smart enough. Slow turtles do not work for this role at all. Actually I am getting tired to see all the time different combinations/experimenting of different players for years, which do not have any chemistry to play speedy hockey in OT. The chemistry needs to be build by a persistent hard work again and again between the same players in my opinion. Probably , at the beginning will be not too good results, but later they will come. It shame to listen about our team from different commentators, that we are horrible in OT, by losing mostly goals during the first shots into our net.

7 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Just came an idea. How about to build a consistent chemistry every time during the practice and then during the game for this trio - capable to move well, to control and to shoot the puck in open ice space on 3 on 3 in OT :

Fiala- Donato- Hunt. It should be a starting trio every time, because they are young, fast and smart enough. Slow turtles do not work for this role at all. Actually I am getting tired to see all the time different combinations/experimenting of different players for years, which do not have any chemistry to play speedy hockey in OT. The chemistry needs to be build by a persistent hard work again and again between the same players in my opinion. Probably , at the beginning will be not too good results, but later they will come. It shame to listen about our team from different commentators, that we are horrible in OT, by losing mostly goals during the first shots into our net.

That’s because Boudreau thinks he needs to play defense in OT. He said it himself. He wants “responsible” people out there. 
He needs to go watch a couple of games of shinny at the local park rink. No one plays defense. It’s just go, go, go!

Parise should not see OT ever again. He is too slow and his game doesn’t suit OT. You don’t need a guy to park in front of the goaltender and cause a distraction. You need guys that can move around and get the goaltender to start moving or who can lose their guy and get a one-on-one with the goaltender. Same with Suter. Last OT he looked like he was “conserving” energy again when his guy blew buy him. You need to go balls to the wall in OT, not “conserve” energy. 

Menell got into Tim Army's doghouse on Sunday because he got a 10-minute misconduct for chirping at the officials.  It was at least the 2nd one he got this season, he didn't play in the 3rd period or overtime in that game at all and he was available.  He still leads Iowa's defenseman in points though.  

2 hours ago, Tomdog said:

While I like Hunt’s play, all star, really?

No. 

Who else, that’s a tough question. 

Staal is a beast in this group despite age catching up to him. Doing all the right things but not skating fast and long enough. Dumba plays offensively like a Norris candidate at times. I guess someone could look at the stats and say "hey, Parise is scoring like hell" and suggest him...

31 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

Yes, I would probably go Staal or Dumba. No one is really standing out though.

No way Staal gets in. There are 42 centers that have more points than him. 

It’ll probably be Suter unless Dumba goes on a tear and out points him...

Or us Wild fans could take a page out of the Vancouver fans playbook and stuff the ballot box for Hunt...