Wild Free Agency Thoughts: 2019 Edition...

On 7/10/2019 at 6:44 PM, Icechipper said:

Dallas looking for veteran d man. Maybe willing part with pick or prospect if they take Pateryn back.......???

Dallas is bumping the cap. They don’t have the room for Pateryn’s $3M cap hit. The Wild would have to take back at least $3M from the Stars...

On 7/7/2019 at 7:31 AM, IllaZilla said:

I do think Fenton was forced to take Zuccarello's contract proposal. Both you and @CreaseAndAssist are absolutely right. Fenton could have said "Thanks, but no thanks." But with so many UFA's taking a hard pass on the Wild (and even Phil Kessel thumbing his nose at the Wild), what are you going to tell Leipold after you just traded away some of the more popular players on the team for a ton of cap space and then the only players you sign with all that cap space is Ryan Hartman and a handful of Iowa bound players? "I changed my mind, the team needs a rebuild?" Ask Ron Hextall what happens when you don't do what the boss wants...

The one thing I take as a silver lining out of this situation is that maybe, just maybe, Fenton isn't going to extend Koivu. The gist of your Dallas article was that the Stars didn't want to give Zucarello term, because they were concerned his contract would eat into their ability to pay some up and coming prospects. Maybe with Koivu gone (and Staal gone the year after), Fenton figured he could give Zuccarello his term AND not impact the contract status of guys like Kunin, Donato, Greenway, Eriksson-Ek, etc.

Or maybe he's just a dunce...

For me, the inability to attract a top tier forward with that cap space speaks loud and clear.  This organization is irrelevant and not looking like a winner.  IMO, this was sort of like an absentee intervention.  Where you are intent on hosting a party and no one shows up.  Hmm...how should I read into this.  Maybe...(gasp) no one really wants to be here.  

IMO, the action you take then is to dismantle the team as much as you can.  But instead, we added some more old plywood.  It isn't the worst construction material but its worn and isn't what it used to be and won't make a substantial difference but it will give the appearance of having plugged a hole or two maybe.  

I agree with @IllaZilla's premise that it was a move Fenton felt he had to make so he had someone of note to show for.  Yet at the end of the day, I think most of us realize it won't be enough.  Its a shame.  I'd rather give the kids the keys to the car and develop and go through the growing pains that way instead of keeping the Wild retirement community intact so they get most of the prime time.  

• Good Post 1

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:20 AM, sweetshot said:

I'm convinced with Fiala it's what you see is what you'll get.

What I saw last year was an occasional nifty, wow play, that rarely led to anything, along with a steady diet of giveaways.  Not sure how good he is defensively, because I never saw him defending...

New GM is nuts if he gives him more than 2 years at $3 mil per.  IMO Best Case Fiala isn't going to equal MiG.   

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:00 PM, IllaZilla said:

Everyone’s wetting their pants over Zuccarello, but last I saw according to CapFriendly he was going to clock in at around $6+M/5 years and a NMC.

Which also means Fenton has to protect him in the Seattle Expansion Draft. 

I read this and thought it was nuts!  Look at his history.  He's dinky and getting old.  A GM would have to be crazy to sign him for 5 years per at $6 mil.   Any GM who'd offer that ridiculous deal should definitely be fired!   😠

😆   Kidding aside - IMO a horrendous signing!

6 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

I read this and thought it was nuts!  Look at his history.  He's dinky and getting old.  A GM would have to be crazy to sign him for 5 years per at $6 mil.   Any GM who'd offer that ridiculous deal should definitely be fired!   😠

😆   Kidding aside - IMO a horrendous signing!

He brought Zuccarello in to replace Granlund. When there was no reason to move Granlund this past season. He still had a year at $5M left on his contract.

A lot of the Wild Cheerleaders on Twitter were going on and on about how Fiala+Zucarello>Granlund for less price...I'm not seeing it...

Well now the guy who would be Fiala and Donato's biggest advocates is gone.  It will be interesting to see how this organization now handles him.  But the crappy thing is, whoever is the new GM.  They now have to make due with Fiala because of what we gave up to get him.  No matter what...they'll need to mend a lot of burnt bridges out there.  

• Like 1

Maybe.  Rask was playing hurt last year.  Obviously he's no PMB Peggy Fleming but a couple years ago he was a decent player.  Three years ago, I think, I watched a Carolina game and he was one of their better players.  He could easily turn into a solid 3rd Line Center IMO.  And I like the Hartman signing.  Chicago hoped for a lot more from him, like being a 2nd Liner.  But he's not that good.  As a 4th Liner he's going to be a stud.  Very similar to the not-Nick Foligno.  Big, tough, physical with decent skills.

Edited by Fargocase

I am fine with Hartman, and like this signing.  Not Zucc at that ridiculous price/term - a total reach. It is also the fall-off in proven skill from the beginning of last year to this year that I am worried about.  There is a lot of hope in our young players and old nags that leads me to believe we will move up in lottery position. 

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:37 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Well now the guy who would be Fiala and Donato's biggest advocates is gone.  It will be interesting to see how this organization now handles him.  But the crappy thing is, whoever is the new GM.  They now have to make due with Fiala because of what we gave up to get him.  No matter what...they'll need to mend a lot of burnt bridges out there.  

This is the sad thing for the next GM. They start off in a very bad spot due to not one but two of the past GMs signings. Throw in the expansion draft coming up and being forced to protect a ton of guys the new GM had nothing to do with and I can't foresee the new GM getting anything started for at least 3 to 4 years (6 years for 11 & 20 to finally be flushed out of here).  And this is based on if CL can pull his head from his @ss and finally agree the franchise needs to go through a rebuild. Can anybody here honestly tell me they think this team is just a tweak away from actually making a serious Cup run? Watch every other team in the playoffs. Watch how they play. Watch how they kick into next gear. Watch how they rally around each other. Now watch the Wild every playoffs since 2012-2013 season. I have been to a few playoff games in person. Not once in any of the seasons did I see the Wild roster display even one of these keys to make a run.

What I fear will happen is CL goes and gets a little more serious GM that is still a good yes man and goes with the plan that the roster is pretty much set and really only need one or two changes and try to milk the dead cow dry until 11 and 20s contracts finally expire then decide they need to rebuild. I hate how our owner tries to get so involved when he had no interest in hockey until he realized he couldn't afford to own a NBA team. He might have good basketball knowledge but his hockey knowledge is at a 1st grade level.

Not sure where you put Rask other than either 3rd or 4th lines.  @IllaZilla's comment about Russo's revealing the Wild did just about no homework on Rask is about as damning as it gets.  The sad but funny thing is, what actually happened was worse and more pathetic than we even speculated here.  

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 4:39 PM, IllaZilla said:

I found it interesting that the Hurricanes had no less than ten people scouting Niederreitter and the Wild had exactly zero people scouting Rask...

It was 10 times, not 10 people, but I digress.

If the Wild would've scouted or atleast watched 80+ of Rasks games, like they did with Staal prior to his signing, the outcome definitely would've been different. Or it wouldn't. Hard to say really after all the reports about Fenton and his personality after his firing.

Edited by Lonkkis

3 hours ago, Lonkkis said:

It was 10 times, not 10 people, but I digress.

If the Wild would've scouted or atleast watched 80+ of Rasks games, like they did with Staal prior to his signing, the outcome definitely would've been different. Or it wouldn't. Hard to say really after all the reports about Fenton and his personality after his firing.

The MN wild had a very high quality analytics and statistics department until Fenton "tried to plug his leaks." I'm sure they could have queued up the video and data for him. Unfortunately it wouldn't have mattered as Fenton didn't care about analytics as much as his "gut feeling for a hockey trade" so they would have gone underutilized. Now the wild, under new soon to be announced leadership, could certainly use those talented individuals back...

• Good Post 1

On 8/5/2019 at 8:24 AM, Starofthenorth said:

The MN wild had a very high quality analytics and statistics department until Fenton "tried to plug his leaks." I'm sure they could have queued up the video and data for him. Unfortunately it wouldn't have mattered as Fenton didn't care about analytics as much as his "gut feeling for a hockey trade" so they would have gone underutilized. Now the wild, under new soon to be announced leadership, could certainly use those talented individuals back...

Mandrycky has been hired for the new Seattle franchise and the Thomas guy is going to work for a new company that is still NHL-affiliated by what I've heard.  As a movie once said...don't try to confuse me with the facts.

On 8/6/2019 at 3:03 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Mandrycky has been hired for the new Seattle franchise and the Thomas guy is going to work for a new company that is still NHL-affiliated by what I've heard.  As a movie once said...don't try to confuse me with the facts.

In confirmation to LIG's info here is an article to read about it:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-seattle-analytics-director-mandrycky-on-role/c-308122326

Interesting also, that in our Central Division we are going to see an Arizona Coyotes team as an 8th team of the Division in 2021-2022 season. And Seattle team is going to be a part of Pacific Division in the Western Conference. Ron Francis (former Carolina team's GM) was recently hired as a first GM of the Seattle team according to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_NHL_team