Breaking: Sanheim extended 2 more years

pilldoc

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Provorov - Niskanen

Gostisbehere - Braun

Sanheim - Myers 

Morin - Hagg

I haven't watched Braun much, but a buddy of mine who is paid to know a lot about these things has informed me that he really wasn't very good in SJ. I think he may start in the top four given the signing and all, but I really hope AV gets off his high horse and is willing to adjust if it turns out he's not worth taking the ice time away from someone like Sanheim. It's possible the situation here will work out better for him than SJ too, but it's not like SJ had bad teams in his time there.

Sanheim was showing solid progress last season. I really hope he gets the opportunity to take another step forward. 

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

I haven't watched Braun much, but a buddy of mine who is paid to know a lot about these things has informed me that he really wasn't very good in SJ. I think he may start in the top four given the signing and all, but I really hope AV gets off his high horse and is willing to adjust if it turns out he's not worth taking the ice time away from someone like Sanheim. It's possible the situation here will work out better for him than SJ too, but it's not like SJ had bad teams in his time there.

Sanheim was showing solid progress last season. I really hope he gets the opportunity to take another step forward. 

Funny because my neighbor 2 doors down an engineer who moved from Anaheim (can't remember his explanation of why he wasn't a Ducks fan) about 7 years back said we got a very good underrated stay at home type.

Said he should help bring along our kids. Basically what I thought he was acquired for.

And he went as far as to say that Vlassic may miss him.

So it looks like no matter which way it goes or even what others say the proof will be in the pudding or in this case on the ice and within the game.

So time will tell.

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

Nothing will impeded Sanheim, but Sanheim. He is on solid ground. Braun and Niskanen were brought in to solidify and mentor the young corp.  Not replace them. Unless they are moved, Morin and Hagg will most likey Push those two vets out in the near future

• Like 2

On 7/9/2019 at 8:16 AM, elmatus said:

I haven't watched Braun much, but a buddy of mine who is paid to know a lot about these things has informed me that he really wasn't very good in SJ.

That seems to run counter to what I've been reading/hearing in other circles. 

On 7/9/2019 at 8:16 AM, elmatus said:

I think Sanheim and Braun will be the second pairing with Ghost/Myers as the third.

Edited by vis
  • Like 1

I expect this kid to take the next step in his development...there is a reason why all these teams want to steal this guy...

...don't do it....you could regret it for a loooooooooong time. He has all the tools in the toolbox he just needs to learn how to utilize them.

41 seconds in you see what he needs to do more often with his combo of size and skating ability.

You don't always have to blow someone up with a huge hit but you can do like he does skate with the puck carrier and use that stick and body and lean on them and box them out the play...love this type of play.

If he learns to do this the sky is the limit on how good he can be.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Should we all tap the brakes a bit here when forcasting his upside? I think he looks like the real thing and I hope he will be, but the sample size is pretty small. A few seasosns ago, 👻was untouchable and a future Norris recipient. Now he's talked about as an expendable commodity

24 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Should we all tap the brakes a bit here when forcasting his upside?

You can. I'm not. I expect a nice jump. But if it doesn't happen i wouldn't just jump to he is a bust trade him now!!!!!!!

I can't say nor am i responsible for what others do....there is no predicting it either....i've seen all sorts. Plan accordingly.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Well he just brought Stewart in...he only needs 9 more players to make us the Minnesota Wild.

Cause why wouldn't you want to be the Wild.

Right?  Quite possibly the most boring, irrelevant franchise in hockey. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Well he just brought Stewart in...he only needs 9 more players to make us the Minnesota Wild.

Cause why wouldn't you want to be the Wild.

Their colors suck

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/17/2019 at 11:25 AM, CoachX said:

Should we all tap the brakes a bit here when forcasting his upside? I think he looks like the real thing and I hope he will be,

Hhhhhhhmmmmm and now look at him he can't even stay upright.

Personally I think he can't keep his balance due to all the coin he keeps in his pockets.

However it looks like everyone is taking note of this and wondering what gives.

Why is skating suddenly an issue for Travis Sanheim?

https://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2019/11/02/why-skating-suddenly-issue-travis-sanheim/4146726002/

#sanheimdown

Travis Sanheim’s skates are usually his best tools and Saturday marked the third straight game where he lost an edge and within seconds the Flyers were scored on.

“I’d love to get into a new pair right now. Unfortunately I don’t have another pair here that I’m able to use,” the defenseman said. “I don’t know whether it’s the skate or it’s me or my blade. Hopefully it’s something we can figure it out.”

The skating ability of the 6-foot-3, 23-year-old defenseman was one of his biggest attributes when he broke into the NHL in 2017. Now he seems to have the yips.

At least he was able to partially make up for it Saturday, in a 4-3 shootout loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs, when he gave the Flyers a third-period lead. He put the puck on net, skated around Frederik Andersen’s cage, and knocked home the rebound on the other side.

“Probably the most happy I’ve ever been to see a goal go in,” he said. “I know personally the last few games haven’t been up to my standard and that’s up to me to be better. I was happy to see that one go in.

“Obviously I want to be better. That’s the biggest thing is I want to put together a good hockey game and that’s what I’m gonna look to do next game. It helps a little bit but still unfortunate with the loss.”

It came two periods after Kasperi Kapanen scored in the first period, with Sanheim trying to cross his feet over as he skated backward in his own zone. He tripped himself and Kapanen had a clear path to score on Brian Elliott. Next period he was at the netfront trying to pick the puck off the goalline behind Elliott and couldn’t keep Jason Spezza from jamming it in the net.

“I’d love to figure that one out,” Sanheim said. “Obviously I’m a pretty good skater. I can’t say I’ve ever had a stretch where three straight games I fall and it ends up in the back of my net. Hopefully I can figure that out pretty shortly and it’s tough to see those.”

Through the struggles his ice time has stayed roughly the same. He hasn’t lost his role as a penalty killer, either. In the early stages of his third NHL season, he’s just trying to stay upright.

Maybe it does have something to do with his skates, but he likes the fact that the Flyers are staying with him.

“Obviously I’ve been given a ton of opportunities,” Sanheim said. “I like to think I’m a big part of this hockey team. We know that’s not me, that’s uncharacteristic and I’m gonna be better. I’m trying to be better. I think that’s the biggest thing is just battling through it.”

“On the bench when he scored that goal, it was funny, three or four guys sitting in front of me said, ‘Just watch him skate now,’” coach Alain Vigneault added. “Obviously he’s feeling a little bit of heat, a little bit of pressure. We need him to be the player that he can be. He’s fighting it right now. He’s going through some growing pains. When he comes out of it I’m very confident that he’s gonna be a useful player for this team.

“Sometimes you just gotta let things work themselves out. By putting him back there, showing him we’ve got faith in him…different guys have different money in the bank. He doesn’t have a lot of money in the bank but he’s got a little bit of money in the bank. I’ll give him time to work his way back. He’s a real good kid. Coaches have a tendency to be behind real good kids.”

As AV would say "Figure it out!"