Hartman Traded

CoachX

11 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Ryan Hartman was traded for some guy named Pitlick

Why?

Should I care?

I guess they couldn't get a deal done with Hartman. Pitlick is cheaper than what Hartman wanted I guess. Lateral move otherwise. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I guess they couldn't get a deal done with Hartman. Pitlick is cheaper than what Hartman wanted I guess. Lateral move otherwise. 

Pitlick is a center. Does he fill the wing?

26 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

It’s not a lateral deal at all.  Hartman’s Got significantly more upside.   

If he can’t sign Hartman than send it to arbitration and move on. 

This can only be an indication of a bigger deal waiting to happen. I fear what that deal is though and why we haven’t seen it yet now that the draft is over. 

Maybe they weren’t making the playoffs with Simmonds, but they sure weren’t without him... now we’ve essentially traded Simmonds and gave up on the comeback for Pitlick. You don’t do that unless you’ve got some kind of plan brewing.  

I cant imagine what though. 

29 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Pitlick is a center. Does he fill the wing?

Just on the 4th.

17 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I guess this was the blockbuster we were all waiting for. It tells me Ghost wont be moved and Fletch is a genius (although I suspect he will be criticized)

I don’t understand how you get to Ghost not being moved.  In my view it makes it even more likely that another trade is coming and if it’s big, then it probably includes Ghost. 

Not sure why you think he's A genius for it either.  I’m reserving judgement until the other shoe drops. I have confidence it will, but if it doesn’t, Fletch has egg on his face for this one as far as I can see. 

Like I say though, I assume he’s got something bigger afoot. 

6 minutes ago, intheslot said:

asking for to much money..$$$..

side ways deal .. nothing lost nothing gained.

Not correct.  A better, younger player with 

ore two-way upside is lost.  A worse, older player who may be slightly better in his own end is gained.  

Maybe a million to a million and a half bucks saved. 

13 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Another baffling move by dipstick Fletcher.  Somebody please explain this move to me.

I can only imagine there’s more yet to come.  It’s possible Hartman’s agent said. “$5.9m for 7 years or bust! “ 

but even then, I just let it go to arbitration or let him sit out the year and lose him outright.  

Fletcher's boring and uninspired, but he’s not stupid.  There’s more to come.  

12 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Just on the 4th.

I don’t understand how you get to Ghost not being moved.  In my view it makes it even more likely that another trade is coming and if it’s big, then it probably includes Ghost. 

Not sure why you think he's A genius for it either.  I’m reserving judgement until the other shoe drops. I have confidence it will, but if it doesn’t, Fletch has egg on his face for this one as far as I can see. 

Like I say though, I assume he’s got something bigger afoot. 

Sarcasm

8 minutes ago, CoachX said:

You predict something bigger is coming. Who other than Ghost has trade value?

How does this insignificant trade indicate a larger move? Laughton?

I think it probably will be Ghost and indont

like that (because it won’t be for Marner or Pointe). 

Hartman didn’t stand to make more than 2.5 million.  If he traded him to save 1.5 million, the. He’s got something big planned because what else is worth pushing to within 1.5 million of the cap. 

At this point after Hayes and Niskanen and Brain, something “BIG” is going To need a  trade on our side...  and Ghost’s salary likely isn’t enough to make up for a really “big” salary.  So i’m Guessing it’s either Ghost plus X or JVR or Jake. 

Now if you move JVR or Jake for picks and get Panarin in return, you got better, but how many UFA’s absolutely fall into the same category? 

Toronto got help from the Canes in the Marleau trade, but they’re still a bit up a creek when it comes to Marner, plus they’re losing D.  So they’re still a possibility for someone, but I’m. It sure I’m giving up JVR or Jake for Johnson or Kapanen.

likewise, Tampa is getting a big break in this bad news about Callahan, so not only will it likely be easier for them to sign Point, but it’ll be more pressing as they’re losing their alternate captain. 

So so who else would we want to trade Ghost+ someone, Voracek or JVR for?  Be serious now.   I’m sure there are a few, but I’m too tired to think about who they are. 

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

It’s not a lateral deal at all.  Hartman’s Got significantly more upside.   

If he can’t sign Hartman than send it to arbitration and move on. 

This can only be an indication of a bigger deal waiting to happen. I fear what that deal is though and why we haven’t seen it yet now that the draft is over. 

Maybe they weren’t making the playoffs with Simmonds, but they sure weren’t without him... now we’ve essentially traded Simmonds and gave up on the comeback for Pitlick. You don’t do that unless you’ve got some kind of plan brewing. 

I cant imagine what though. 

I liked Hartman, but "significantly more upside"? What is that based on? That he's younger? More talented offensively?

I'm pleased to be wrong, but I just don't see it. 

From an outsiders point of view, this sure looks like a lateral move to me.
Watching them each play a bit and then perusing stat sheets, they actually seem very similar players.

Yes, I'd give an offensive edge to Hartman (though it isn't anything to be all that excited about), but @yave1964 's post was pretty much on the mark: Pitlick seems to be better in a bunch of other areas...though, again, not anything to be doing handstands over.

Not even the money saved seems significant. Like those who said it was about the $$$ that perhaps Hartman and his agent were asking for, and perhaps the Flyers just didn't want to mess around with arbitration hearings (they'd rather just have the similar player in the fold and done for now, so they can focus on bigger fish), and thus the deal came about.
And of course, the Stars see this as a slight upgrade on offense, I am sure, as they seem to have the defensive portion of their team game nailed down pretty well.

Just overall not a big deal to be happy or upset about...just an exchange of bodies that might serve slightly different needs.
But hey, if Pitlick turns into a nice surprise on the bottom six, the Flyers can just call it a bonus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Another baffling move by dipstick Fletcher.  Somebody please explain this move to me.

I' going to go out on a limb and say because he is already under contract for this coming year for 1 million and maybe Hartman wanted way to much can really say this is the first i have heard of the trade. He has played some RW/C.

Otherwise maybe we find out more later. I think this is Lance Pitlick's son....a contract that helps with the cap!?!

1 hour ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I think this is the precursor of a move...something akin to Ghost for Nylander + or, maybe it's just Potluck with Pitlick. Hopefully Option A.

Edited by FD19372

Maybe this is precursor to something bigger because of the cap savings, as has been pointed out. 

But the players involved are who cares for who cares.  I mean why is anyone here bent on Hartman? The problem was getting Hartman for Simmonds in the first place.  I hated that trade at the time. Hartman is nothing. He is a disappointment of a ridiculous first round draft pick. He is actually barely one dimensional. At least now we have someone who still belongs on the fourth line but can at least play on the PK. 

He's meh, but you get meh for meh. 

But stop with Simmonds. It's embarrassing and ridiculous. He's a fourth line player at best at this point. I love the guy and wish him the best, but he's not worth a roster spot at any price at this point. 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2