2019 Minnesota Wild Prospect Development Camp

Nesterenko looked better than I expected.  I knew he had a lot of points but in a lesser league.  But I certainly see what the team sees in him.  He's a skilled guy that is kind of lanky and certainly needs to fill out but he thinks the game well and seems to have some skill / instincts going for him.  

Beyond a few flashes, Boldy was just ok to me.  I noticed other players more.  Although I will give him this credit, when he does get the puck in a scoring position he needs little time to release that puck and I do like that he likes the backhand, a shot you don't see nearly as much anymore.  I am still concerned about his mobility.  

Lodnia, Khovanov were big standouts for me.  Lodnia looked mature and I was impressed by his overall play.  He played well at both ends of the ice.  Khovanov seemed like a player on a bit different level in terms of his offensive awareness and creativity.  Its tough sometimes to watch from afar and realize if a player is dominant or just fortunate enough to be in a position to pad their stats.  He looked skilled and dominant on his shifts and seemed to cause problems for defenders.  He seemed quicker this year, no doubt helped by the fact he was healthy most of the season.  

As far as Sokolov goes.  He's a terrific finisher.  No doubt about it.  The thing I liked about Sokolov's performance was the fact that he was dominant when he should be dominant.  You looked very motivated and I liked that he was being social out there; like you'd hope to see from a player whose confident and a bit older.  Its tough to say whether the team was impressed with his physical conditioning which is really the main hang up on him.  Beyond that, I really did not hear any remotely negative things about him.  Even as he was a healthy scratch during the playoffs, I heard he worked hard and didn't complain as a black ace which is why at the very end he got put back in the lineup as they were looking for an offensive burst.  

• Like 1

Agree LIG, Sokolov should play more playoffs games than just  the last one out of 11 games. Maybe he should play at least 5-6 games to replace unmotivated Greenway who did not have any goals during that playoffs run.  I am not sure 100% , but I think Sokolov played with Hendricks in the 4th line last regular season and knows him pretty well.

Any thoughts about  our lines in the big and the minor club this coming season?

Sincerely, regarding Sokolov and any other healthy player in our system, I will accept any physical conditions- overweight; too skinny; too fatty; extra tall; extra small and etc. if that player will be able to score 30 and more goals every season during at least 5 years in a row. We did not have those players for a long period of time, I would say never. Marian Gaborik was very close to that point in the Wild uniform and practically a single one, but still he was not  a superbly consistent. Certainly, I was not happy about his kind of  a consistent sickness related to his health and missed games.

On 7/8/2019 at 11:37 AM, Alexandron said:

Agree LIG, Sokolov should play more playoffs games than just  the last one out of 11 games. Maybe he should play at least 5-6 games to replace unmotivated Greenway who did not have any goals during that playoffs run.  I am not sure 100% , but I think Sokolov played with Hendricks in the 4th line last regular season and knows him pretty well.

Any thoughts about  our lines in the big and the minor club this coming season?

(shrugs)  I'd agree.  I'd guess Wild management was hoping Greenway would flip a switch and felt if he decided to dominate he could be a game changer in that series.  Instead, he continued to go through the motions.  While we know pretty well that Wild upper management was not pleased with Greenway and Donato's play, did anyone on the Iowa Wild say anything to those two about it?  

Did Cal O'Reilly or some of the other veteran leaders confront these players and tell them to start pulling their weight or that the team needed more from them.  

Hendricks and Sokolov never played together unless it was in a pre-season game.  But I think they do perhaps know each other a little and Sokolov probably realizes earning Hendricks' approval is probably a chance to maybe get more opportunity next year.  

Lines?  I hate speculating because I think the Wild still need to make a trade of some kind.  I saw a proposed set of lines on the Athletic (Russo didn't write it) and he had Koivu on the 4th line and I think we all know that will never happen.  We know it won't be any of the big money, but I think they need to consider moving Ek or Greenway.  I'd let Rask start at 3rd line center if Koivu's not at 100%.  In fact, I really wouldn't let Koivu come back unless he's at 100%.  

So here's how I see it.  I think this group distributes the scoring, speed, and gives you a pretty reasonable shut down / checking line.  Now will Koivu let himself be the 3rd line center?  Greenway and Donato can play in Iowa next year.  I want to see them humbled and they'll develop more by getting top minutes there and they better be dominating if they want to have a chance to get called up.  

Minnesota Wild lines...

Parise-Staal-Zuccarello

Zucker-Kunin-Fiala

Eriksson Ek-Koivu-Hartman

Foligno-Sturm-Mayhew

Rask

Suter-Spurgeon

Brodin-Dumba

Pateryn-Hunt

Seeler

Dubnyk

Stalock

Iowa Wild lines...

Greenway-Dumont-Donato

Rau-Johnson-Bitten

Anas-Sokolov-Beck

Liambas-Lodnia/Dewar-Duhaime

Menell-Bartkowski

Soucy-Belpedio

Gordeev-Warner

Falkovsky

Kahkonen

Robson

Edited by CreaseAndAssist
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(shrugs)  I'd agree.  I'd guess Wild management was hoping Greenway would flip a switch and felt if he decided to dominate he could be a game changer in that series.  Instead, he continued to go through the motions.  While we know pretty well that Wild upper management was not pleased with Greenway and Donato's play, did anyone on the Iowa Wild say anything to those two about it?  

Did Cal O'Reilly or some of the other veteran leaders confront these players and tell them to start pulling their weight or that the team needed more from them.  

Hendricks and Sokolov never played together unless it was in a pre-season game.  But I think they do perhaps know each other a little and Sokolov probably realizes earning Hendricks' approval is probably a chance to maybe get more opportunity next year.  

Lines?  I hate speculating because I think the Wild still need to make a trade of some kind.  I saw a proposed set of lines on the Athletic (Russo didn't write it) and he had Koivu on the 4th line and I think we all know that will never happen.  We know it won't be any of the big money, but I think they need to consider moving Ek or Greenway.  I'd let Rask start at 3rd line center if Koivu's not at 100%.  In fact, I really wouldn't let Koivu come back unless he's at 100%.  

So here's how I see it.  I think this group distributes the scoring, speed, and gives you a pretty reasonable shut down / checking line.  Now will Koivu let himself be the 3rd line center?  Greenway and Donato can play in Iowa next year.  I want to see them humbled and they'll develop more by getting top minutes there and they better be dominating if they want to have a chance to get called up.  

Minnesota Wild lines...

Parise-Staal-Zuccarello

Zucker-Kunin-Fiala

Eriksson Ek-Koivu-Hartman

Foligno-Sturm-Mayhew

Rask

Suter-Spurgeon

Brodin-Dumba

Pateryn-Hunt

Dubnyk

Stalock

Iowa Wild lines...

Greenway-Dumont-Donato

Rau-Johnson-Bitten

Anas-Sokolov-Beck

Liambas-Lodnia/Dewar-Duhaime

Menell-Bartkowski

Soucy-Belpedio

Gordeev-Warner

Falkovsky

Kahkonen

Robson

Nice lines. I probably would add  also a defenseman Seeler to our 3rd defense line as a reserve one.  I also like a lot Mason Shaw(extremely hard working player), but, unfortunately, he had again an injury of his knee during a 3rd Calder Cup playoffs game and then restoring surgery after that. Still not sure if the Wild organization will be using Greenway and Donato in Iowa. Maybe they are thinking now that those 2 players are already humbled from all the critics of our media as well as fans. Do you think Tim Army is going to involve them (Greenway and Donato) this fall at  the Traverse City Tournament or will give more chances to our new younger prospects drafted during this summer and a summer before just for a better evaluation their talents? 

35 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Nice lines. I probably would add  also a defenseman Seeler to our 3rd defense line as a reserve one.  I also like a lot Mason Shaw(extremely hard working player), but, unfortunately, he had again an injury of his knee during a 3rd Calder Cup playoffs game and then restoring surgery after that. Still not sure if the Wild organization will be using Greenway and Donato in Iowa. Maybe they are thinking now that those 2 players are already humbled from all the critics of our media as well as fans. Do you think Tim Army is going to involve them (Greenway and Donato) this fall at  the Traverse City Tournament or will give more chances to our new younger prospects drafted during this summer and a summer before just for a better evaluation their talents? 

They both should be at the Traverse City Tournament.  IMO, and they better be motivated and playing hard.  Or I'd just send them to Iowa right away.  They need to figure out they can't take any opportunity for granted.  

Just looked through the weights, heights and stats of some our prospects. Interesting, that we have a couple of them (defensemen Gordeev and Falkovsky) having the same solid height and weight (6'7" and 225 lbs). I do not remember we had such a tall players in our team before. Hope to see them both at the Traverse City Tournament.

Edited by Alexandron

On 7/8/2019 at 10:02 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Nesterenko looked better than I expected.  I knew he had a lot of points but in a lesser league.  But I certainly see what the team sees in him.  He's a skilled guy that is kind of lanky and certainly needs to fill out but he thinks the game well and seems to have some skill / instincts going for him.  

The Wild link of our prospects in the system should be updated. Nesterenko is missing in that list. And many prospects pictures are missing too.

http://wild.ice.nhl.com/club/roster.htm?type=prospect

On 7/8/2019 at 10:02 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Lodnia, Khovanov were big standouts for me.  Lodnia looked mature and I was impressed by his overall play.  He played well at both ends of the ice.  Khovanov seemed like a player on a bit different level in terms of his offensive awareness and creativity.  Its tough sometimes to watch from afar and realize if a player is dominant or just fortunate enough to be in a position to pad their stats.  He looked skilled and dominant on his shifts and seemed to cause problems for defenders.  He seemed quicker this year, no doubt helped by the fact he was healthy most of the season.  

Sadly, our signed Alexander Khovanov is missing too at same list of our prospects in the Wild system.

Wish also to see a tryout of Mason Shaw  for the big club this season , who is considered an extremely nice hardworking and play-making machine. For seasons he had multiple assists (up to 43-66-67) in minor leagues. Last year he played for the 1st time a full season for the Iowa Wild team and collected 33 points in 76 games (8 goals;25 assists), which I think was a pretty good season for the rookie. Hope, he restored his strength during the summer after surgery.

On 7/16/2019 at 1:42 PM, Alexandron said:

Sadly, our signed Alexander Khovanov is missing too at same list of our prospects in the Wild system.

Wish also to see a tryout of Mason Shaw  for the big club this season , who is considered an extremely nice hardworking and play-making machine. For seasons he had multiple assists (up to 43-66-67) in minor leagues. Last year he played for the 1st time a full season for the Iowa Wild team and collected 33 points in 76 games (8 goals;25 assists), which I think was a pretty good season for the rookie. Hope, he restored his strength during the summer after surgery.

While I've heard nothing but good things about his effort and creativity, I do question his ability to score himself.  It will be interesting to see what he's like once he recovers from yet another major injury.