Resigned: Elliot x1 yr @ $2 million

pilldoc

Good move?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Good Move for the Flyers?

• Yeah
    • Nay
    • Meh

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-re-sign-g-brian-elliott-to-one-year-extension--philadelphia-flyers/c-308069068

The Philadelphia Flyers announced they have re-signed goaltender Brian Elliott to a one-year contract extension worth an average annual value (AAV) of $2.0 million, according to Executive Vice President & General Manager Chuck Fletcher.

"Brian has played well for us the last two seasons," said Fletcher. "He is a proven, quality goaltender who competes and battles hard every time he has the net. We are excited to have him rejoin our team."

Well there is out back up .......

Edited by pilldoc
  • Uggh... 3

Well, the positive is that if Hexy were still here he would have paid Moose about 3.5M based on what he gave the previously worst statistical goalie in the league as a backup.

It is Hart's net - if he can manage to stay healthy and prove decent goaltending I have no issues with it.   Who else are they going to sign that is better than Elliot?

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

And the goalie woes of the Flyers continue...

I dunno. He's a veteran backup. We have Carter Hart. That's all I care about. To my knowledge, Carter does not own a Porsche.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

ouch!

I know people are tired of me making that joke, but really it's just a comment to remind us and others of our horrible decision-making/luck with goalies. I mean, we had a goalie go and get vertigo for chrissake!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

The news just keeps getting better every day.

BREAKING NEWS: Brian Elliott breaks arm signing contract, will be out 6-8 months.

Chuck Fletcher press conference scheduled for 5 pm on what the other options are...

• Haha 2

Just now, Podein25 said:

What was the better or cheaper alternative? McEIhenney?

I don't know if he was cheaper/better but he sure was a DIFFERENT option...I would have offered him...oh well he and Lyon will be on IR before the season begins...SMFH.

19 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

if he can manage to stay healthy and prove decent goaltending I have no issues with it.

Two things that are far from a guarantee.

I hope he can stay healthy AND provide decent goaltending. If we only get one or none of those, it could be a real problem again.

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

What was the better or cheaper alternative? McEIhenney?

I dunno, honestly, I feel that would be the wrong way to look at it. 

We have a 20 year old rookie goaltender who is expected to be THE guy in between the pipes for the next 15 years. Is it really smart asset management to overlook the guy behind him, who may need to become THE guy in the short term if Hart struggles or gets injured? 

If I were GM, I would have put more focus on getting the right guy to back up our young star-in-the-making. But, Fletch sent my calls straight to voice mail, so... Let's hope he made the right call.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Two things that are far from a guarantee.

I hope he can stay healthy AND provide decent goaltending. If we only get one or none of those, it could be a real problem again.

agree brel.... I think it is a risk but any goalie could go down at any time.  My hope is that he is not overused and plays 20-something games.   I do think he was grossly overused last year but there is no guarantee.  The issue is that I really don't see any other viable options without trading for one.   

Hope Hart and Moose stay healthy!   Crossing my fingers and toes!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

My hope is that he is not overused and plays 20-something games. 

Well they have 17 back to back sets this coming season so he'll get his chance.

Why does it feel like Chuck wants to be the kid in the class who just wants to he the kid in the class who turns his test in first.

Feels that way to me.

That way when the free agency bell goes off Chuck can just smile and say "DONE!"

And then fails..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, brelic said:

We have a 20 year old rookie goaltender who is expected to be THE guy in between the pipes for the next 15 years. Is it really smart asset management to overlook the guy behind him, who may need to become THE guy in the short term if Hart struggles or gets injured? 

Who are you talking about? Lyon? 

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Who are you talking about? Lyon? 

Elliott. If we need to rely on him because Hart struggles or gets injured, can we? That's the question mark for me, on both the health and performance angles.

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Elliott. If we need to rely on him because Hart struggles or gets injured, can we? That's the question mark for me, on both the health and performance angles.

Ok, I misunderstood. 

32 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

agree brel.... I think it is a risk but any goalie could go down at any time.  My hope is that he is not overused and plays 20-something games.   I do think he was grossly overused last year but there is no guarantee.  The issue is that I really don't see any other viable options without trading for one.   

Hope Hart and Moose stay healthy!   Crossing my fingers and toes!

On free agency (not kidding) I would have talked to Kinkaid and McElhinney.   Kinkaid is actually good in a limited, 20-35 game role.  Not terrific.  Good.

I was going to say that I think the Flyers priced themselves out of a free agent signing, but I don't think either goalie would have been much more than what they signed Elliott for.   And less likely to get hurt putting cream cheese on their bagels.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

I dunno. He's a veteran backup. We have Carter Hart. That's all I care about. To my knowledge, Carter does not own a Porsche.

I don't know either. You sign as your backup a guy who either can't stay healthy or can't play well 5 games in a row. After you've witnessed it for two years.

Well, Fletch hadn't, I'll give you that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

I don't know either. You sign as your backup a guy who either can't stay healthy or can't play well 5 games in a row. After you've witnessed it for two years.

Well, Fletch hadn't, I'll give you that.

It defies reason, right?

• Like 1