Resigned: Elliot x1 yr @ $2 million

pilldoc

Good move?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Good Move for the Flyers?

• Yeah
    • Nay
    • Meh

Elliott may be trending down in his career numbers, but this perky 9th rounder is still giving his team a chance to win (allowing 2 goals or less in Games Started) more often than not - 

Moose  23 GS, 13 games of 2 goals or less,  57% of his starts were giving his team a 'chance to win' game

Hart      30 GS, 14 games 2 goals or less, 47%

Talbot   32, 10, 31%

Mrazek 51, 25, 49%

Bob       71, 33,  46%

Bishop  58, 40, 69%

Welcome back Moose!

9 hours ago, murraycraven said:

Well, the positive is that if Hexy were still here he would have paid Moose about 3.5M based on what he gave the previously worst statistical goalie in the league as a backup.

It is Hart's net - if he can manage to stay healthy and prove decent goaltending I have no issues with it.   Who else are they going to sign that is better than Elliot?

If you’re talking about Neuvirth, you’re just begging me to take us all back to history class to review the Vegas expansion draft chapter. 

Hextall wouldn't have traded Stolarz for a UFA goalie he knew he couldn’t resign. 

I have utterly no confidence in Fletcher.  

Looks like Sandstrom is going to get his shot at some point this year.  

36 minutes ago, 926 said:

Elliott may be trending down in his career numbers, but this perky 9th rounder is still giving his team a chance to win (allowing 2 goals or less in Games Started) more often than not - 

Moose  23 GS, 13 games of 2 goals or less,  57% of his starts were giving his team a 'chance to win' game

Hart      30 GS, 14 games 2 goals or less, 47%

Talbot   32, 10, 31%

Mrazek 51, 25, 49%

Bob       71, 33,  46%

Bishop  58, 40, 69%

Welcome back Moose!

Nothing wrong with Moose other than potentially his durability.  

The problem is WHY THE HELL DID FLETCHER TRADE STOLARZ FOR TALBOT IF TALBOT HAD NO INTENTION OF BEING A BACKUP!!!!!!

I still contend that trading Stolarz for Talbot when he did was the single biggest cause of their comeback ending.  Dumping Simmonds for Hartman our the nail in the coffin of them regaining it. 

Doesn’t matter? They should have had a better first half?  Ask the Blues.  

At at least he got something for them?

He got Pitlick and Zilch. 

I can't get too angry.  He is a known entity.  Apparently, the youngins in the system aren't ready. Talbot flunked his audition. I suspect we will see 3-5 goalies played by season's end. Keep your fingers crossed.

Howie

"We took full advantage of the shopping period, as I believe he did, too," Fletcher said Wednesday at Flyers Skate Zone. "We spoke to quite a few goaltenders this week, quite a few agents for goaltenders this week. We did a lot of due diligence looking into everyone's background, medical histories and stats — everything we can do."

:bonkingheadonwall:

16 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I know people are tired of me making that joke, but really it's just a comment to remind us and others of our horrible decision-making/luck with goalies. I mean, we had a goalie go and get vertigo for chrissake!

Vertigo?

Know where I can score some?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, murraycraven said:

i think one of two things:

1.  He wanted too much

2.  The Flyers had their look when they got him and realized he was worthless 

According to this forum, everyone they sign is worthless 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, hf101 said:

Yes,  and that is why it is a good signing.  There is also the familiarity, with Elliot and the consistency of which he played here when healthy.

Rumor says he was a good guy in the room

• Like 1

Elliott is fine. Sure he's a bit injury prone, but he's only coming in as a back up, and we've got other options to bring up for play time if needed anyway.

Again, Fletch has made a number of real head scratchers. We don't need to go digging after every little deal he makes. Elliott is just as fine as anyone else he was likely to get in such a limited role.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Elliott is fine. Sure he's a bit injury prone, but he's only coming in as a back up, and we've got other options to bring up for play time if needed anyway.

Again, Fletch has made a number of real head scratchers. We don't need to go digging after every little deal he makes. Elliott is just as fine as anyone else he was likely to get in such a limited role.

I wonder if they try to start Ustimenko off in the ECHL to give him some time to acclimate himself to the smaller ice.

And then Sandstrom and Lyon could tandem for the Phantoms next year.

Just wondering aloud is all...

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

According to this forum, everyone they sign is worthless 

Yup... everything is always terrible!  That is why I took a bit of sabbatical over the past few months.  The negativity is pretty taxing after a while and I would not even say, as a fan, that I am all that positive.   Fletcher has a team right now that should make the playoffs and is better than the slop Hextall put on the ice last year - all the while Hexy was telling us the team is a playoff team - which was either overvaluing his players or just plain incompetent.   

See how it plays out...  do I have faith in Fletcher?  Not really...  but I believe the team is better than they were last year.

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 2

6 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Yup... everything is always terrible

I know it gets so old.

Find me a positive outlook post on the Flyer forum and it will be the first.

But hey they way I look at it is it's providing a public service to dogs all across North America, the venting can be done here so noone has to end up kicking the ol mutt lying around the house.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But hey they way I look at it is it's providing a public service to dogs all across North America, the venting can be done here so noone has to end up kicking the ol mutt lying around the house.

This is hysterical ^^^^!!

• Haha 1

@murraycraven

I think the Talbot trade was a head scratcher especially in light of this signing. I don't like the Hayes contract but I do like the player.

So while I don't think Fletcher sees all the angles I don't think he's a dumbass either. He's pretty milquetoast imo. 

Our team goes Couturier, Hayes, Patrick and Laughton down the middle.  Good luck getting the puck little men. These are big dudes who know how to use their bodies to gain control of things. 

This team is better than last year's on paper and it's not close. 

Maybe the CBA allows the team to buy out Hayes contract when it gets approved, and that can be the "out" that's some wishful thinking, I know.

the thought of not being able to sign a guy we really value because we're paying our 3rd line centerman 7.1 million a year will bum me out. Throughout the league this has happened to a lot of teams with great prospect pools, it's the reality of a bad salary cap system.

The business of hockey isn't too fun- the game is awesome. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@murraycraven

I think the Talbot trade was a head scratcher especially in light of this signing. I don't like the Hayes contract but I do like the player.

So while I don't think Fletcher sees all the angles I don't think he's a dumbass either. He's pretty milquetoast imo. 

Our team goes Couturier, Hayes, Patrick and Laughton down the middle.  Good luck getting the puck little men. These are big dudes who know how to use their bodies to gain control of things. 

This team is better than last year's on paper and it's not close. 

Maybe the CBA allows the team to buy out Hayes contract when it gets approved, and that can be the "out" that's some wishful thinking, I know.

the thought of not being able to sign a guy we really value because we're paying our 3rd line centerman 7.1 million a year will bum me out. Throughout the league this has happened to a lot of teams with great prospect pools, it's the reality of a bad salary cap system.

The business of hockey isn't too fun- the game is awesome. 

@mojo1917  You just summarized exactly how I look at this...  I think the team is better but like anything else it is all "wait and see" right now.  This team always has so many question marks surrounding it and I don't think this year will be any different.  The team **should** be better but you just can't predict success with confidence with this group.

I like Hayes as a player as well but the contract scares me a lot.   I do think in today's FA he was not grossly overpaid and think he would have had a similar offer on the open market.   

On paper this team is way better.  We have a coaching staff that should provide much needed direction.  As I said before there are so many "what ifs" that could swing this team to a dangerous team.  Should be an interesting year and I just want to watch a decent product.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I do think in today's FA he was not grossly overpaid and think he would have had a similar offer on the open market.   

What does this mean? Open market?

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Find me a positive outlook post on the Flyer forum and it will be the first.

There are actually a lot of them.

I think we are seeing the results of a fanbase that had become accustomed to regular degrees of success that has seen Very Little of that over the past seven seasons - in which the unfortunate reality has been the least successful stretch of hockey that this fanbase has ever had to endure.

At the very least, this team's overall makeup has changed considerably and the emergence of a top level backstop in Carter Hart should be great to see. Add in the obviously talented defensive prospects, some reliable veterans to the blue line, and talented forwards and there is reason to be more optimistic.

In fact, in Y5, one might say that this team is pretty much where Hextall was guiding them.  And it wasn't just Hexy saying the team was "definitely a playoff team" over his tenure - it was the team itself that kept saying that over and over again. And then failing to live up to the mantle.

For all the Grand Pronouncements of Imminent Success we've had from players, fans, and the organization over the past seven years, we have yet to see that translate into actual success on the ice.

We'll see what we have this fall.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, murraycraven said:

saying if he went to free agency I think he would have gotten a similar deal.

Yeah ok. I guess I just see that he was essentially in the FA market for all intents and porpoises.  Just the threat of him testing it means we paid "market" value.  In other words the distinction is meaningless. The market spoke and it said: Whoa! Pay up Sucker!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@radoran

And before you waste your time it was mostly in jest...I know there are some around scattered here and there, but it seems so few and far and in between that they are forgotten it seems...

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

We have a coaching staff that should provide much needed direction

This is all I have ever asked.  I want accountability from the most seasoned veteran to the most greenest rookie.  Look Hak might have been a nice guy and he gave it his best rah rah college try....but face it this team needed and now has seasoned Coaches who have been in the League for years.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

This is all I have ever asked.  I want accountability from the most seasoned veteran to the most greenest rookie.  Look Hak might have been a nice guy and he gave it his best rah rah college try....but face it this team needed and now has seasoned Coaches who have been in the League for years.  

agreed...   Hak was not a good Coach in-game but some of his decisions on players sitting and other players not was very confusing.   Hope AV and the coaching staff hold players accountable b/c (IMO) it is something that has been lacking since Lavy.   

• Like 1