Worst Hall of fame class ever

yave1964

The NHL announced its Hall of Fame class 2019 a few days ago and it more or less went unnoticed, other than Haylee Wickenheiser it was clearly a very pedestrian group chosen.

I mean no disrespect against players Guy Carbeneau who was a very solid two way forward or Sergei Zubov who had a few monster seasons and hung around forever or a favorite of mine growing up Vaclav 'Big Ned' Nedomansky who was one of the first Euro defectors from behind the Iron Curtain, but if they created a Hall of Very Good would certainly qualify, but a Hall of Fame? Please.

Yeah I know the question of what is a Hall of famer creates more stir among fans of all sports than most but c'mon it is like the voters simply threw darts at a spinning wheel and selected that way. Jim Rutherford in as a builder? Umm, okay, maybe at some point but why now? Jerry York of Boston College? Cant argue the success but why York and not Red Berenson who has had at least as good a career of not exceeded that of York?

On the outside scratching their heads are guys like Roenick, LeCavalier, Mogilny, Alfredsson (who most considered a lock this year) Kevin Lowe and Cujo. Boris Mikhailov was considered a near shoe in for this seasons induction as well. I am not advocating for any of them just saying any of the above would have been better selections than ALL of the former NHLers chosen. I feel bad for Haylee Wickenheiser. 

So yeah, I dont get it and will not waste a moment watching the Hall induction ceremony this year. Not since Tom Johnson in the early seventies has the NHL did such a poor job in its HOFer selections.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 3:29 AM, yave1964 said:

The NHL announced its Hall of Fame class 2019 a few days ago and it more or less went unnoticed, other than Haylee Wickenheiser it was clearly a very pedestrian group chosen.

I mean no disrespect against players Guy Carbeneau who was a very solid two way forward or Sergei Zubov who had a few monster seasons and hung around forever or a favorite of mine growing up Vaclav 'Big Ned' Nedomansky who was one of the first Euro defectors from behind the Iron Curtain, but if they created a Hall of Very Good would certainly qualify, but a Hall of Fame? Please.

Yeah I know the question of what is a Hall of famer creates more stir among fans of all sports than most but c'mon it is like the voters simply threw darts at a spinning wheel and selected that way. Jim Rutherford in as a builder? Umm, okay, maybe at some point but why now? Jerry York of Boston College? Cant argue the success but why York and not Red Berenson who has had at least as good a career of not exceeded that of York?

On the outside scratching their heads are guys like Roenick, LeCavalier, Mogilny, Alfredsson (who most considered a lock this year) Kevin Lowe and Cujo. Boris Mikhailov was considered a near shoe in for this seasons induction as well. I am not advocating for any of them just saying any of the above would have been better selections than ALL of the former NHLers chosen. I feel bad for Haylee Wickenheiser. 

So yeah, I dont get it and will not waste a moment watching the Hall induction ceremony this year. Not since Tom Johnson in the early seventies has the NHL did such a poor job in its HOFer selections.

I don't understand--and never will--why someone has to go in each year.  For me, it's so watered down, and at an ever increasing rate, that it's no longer special.  Same with other sports.   Average has become great somewhere along the line.    Then again, on a continent where utter dog #### can be elected president, I guess I shouldn't be alarmed that average makes the HOF.

On 6/27/2019 at 6:44 AM, fan4ever said:

@yave1964

Who???

I'll have to admit, I haven't heard of a one of them.....but I've only been a serious hockey fan since the 90's so......

They were all good players.  Above average players, actually.  But all were supporting-role players.   There's actually no excuse for their being on the ballot let alone going in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Hockey Hall of Fame, brought to you by Cracker Barrel.  

Where if it don't move, we'll fry it and shove it on a plate and tell people with no palate and can't cook worth a damn that it tastes just like home.   Oh, and we'll stick random people in the Hall and tell all the "casual hockey fans" that don't know s### other than "ooh, that shootout is fun!" that they were great.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

They were all good players.  Above average players, actually.  But all were supporting-role players.   There's actually no excuse for their being on the ballot let alone going in.

Yup.

Guy Carbonneau was a good hockey and was a role-player for 3 Cup winning teams, but if you look at the ten most similar players to him, there's not a single Hall of Fame player among them:

image.png

Far too many times over the years, the HHOF committee have proven themselves to be people of rare intelligence: it's rare that they show any.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I think women need their own Hall of Fame. It makes no sense to be placing women in the same HOF as NHL players because they are not playing the same game nor are they playing it at the same level. So no offence to Wickenheiser, but no. Putting female hockey players into what (for all intents and purposes) is the NHL HOF just reeks of appeasement. They might call it the HHOF, but it's the NHL that populates it.

Sergei Zubov gets the nod I think because he was the best offensive defenceman in the game for the better part of a decade. As for the rest? No thanks.

On the outside scratching their heads are guys like Roenick, LeCavalier, Mogilny, Alfredsson (who most considered a lock this year) Kevin Lowe and Cujo.

If it were up to me, I think Roenick is in. Mogilny is in. Alfredsson is in. LeCavalier, I'd have to think about it and look at his stats again.

Mogilny gets in for being the first Russian defector into the NHL. He changed the game forever... not to mention his stats were mind boggling in his earlier years.

Roenick has to be one of the highest scoring American players ever. How is Modano in and not Roenick? 

• Like 1