Seravalli: Flyers & Provorov not close

ruxpin

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

4 x $6.5-$7 would be good.  I think that still avoids RFA.

I'm hoping "not close" is a relative term.  

He had an off year and Sanheim and Myers look pretty darn promising so far, so I can see why Fletcher would be reticent to ink the big deal now.  I can also see how Ivan and his agent would be eager to get that big deal now in place.

It's a bit similar to Nylander last year where he saw three potentially better players getting contracts immediately after him so he knew if he didn't cash in now, it was only going to get harder to do so (though I hope it doesn't go that long and I think Provo's a better asset than Nylander).

There's something nagging inside me fearing that Provo is hoping for an offer sheet... but at this point someone would have to offer him close to Karlsson bucks for Fletcher to be flat out unable to match.  

Pretending for a moment that Provorov is given an offer sheet of $8M/yr. for x-years by someone, depending upon what team it is, do you counter or do you take the 3 draft picks and run?   I wouldn't argue for this, but given who may have to be sacrificed and what we have on defense, I guess you have to think about it.

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Pretending for a moment that Provorov is given an offer sheet of $8M/yr. for x-years by someone, depending upon what team it is, do you counter or do you take the 3 draft picks and run?   I wouldn't argue for this, but given who may have to be sacrificed and what we have on defense, I guess you have to think about it.

Well I don’t know what it’ll mean for Provo, but somehow Dubas just inked Johnsson and Kapanen to under 3.5 per each.  Essentially, Both combined will be making about as much as Nylander and for half as long. 

Something about this smells fishy AF. 

Its good news news for resigning TK though.  Might even help with Provo too. 

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Back to your question though, I don’t know.  I might depending on who else hadn’t signed yet.  If I could then O.S. Trouba for instance, I might.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

4 x $6.5-$7 would be good.  I think that still avoids RFA.

Rumor has it he wants 8 mill per.

McAvoy and Werenski too all want around 8 mill per.

It's like a mini defenseman union...

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

There's something nagging inside me fearing that Provo is hoping for an offer sheet.

So they offer 6.3-8.4 mill they I think the Flyers just match it.

They offer between 8.5-10.5mill then the Flyers might just take the 2 1st and the 2nd and 3rd.

I think he'll be fine.

44 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You match it.

He is worth more to the Flyers than a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Hell they just traded a 2nd and 3rd for Braun.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Hope your right,looks like an offer sheet is coming.

He did not have a great year so how much is he worth ,.

You don't finally find a potential number one defenseman and then just let him go for picks.... 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Hope your right,looks like an offer sheet is coming.

He did not have a great year so how much is he worth ,.

He's worth what a GM is willing to pay too get a potential future Norris winner. But I have faith that GM collusion will prevent that from happening.

• Like 3

Seravalli is an idiot. Other than McDavid, Eichel and Hanafin, who all signed new deals before their respective ELCs were up, none of the draftees from the 2015 draft are close to new contracts. Provorov is going to get signed. It's a matter of waiting out to see what Werenski and others are going to get. The Provorov camp know he's going to get paid. When have the Flyers ever cheapskated any of their players? Exactly. 

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

18 hours ago, King Knut said:

I'm hoping "not close" is a relative term.  

He had an off year and Sanheim and Myers look pretty darn promising so far, so I can see why Fletcher would be reticent to ink the big deal now.  I can also see how Ivan and his agent would be eager to get that big deal now in place.

It's a bit similar to Nylander last year where he saw three potentially better players getting contracts immediately after him so he knew if he didn't cash in now, it was only going to get harder to do so (though I hope it doesn't go that long and I think Provo's a better asset than Nylander).

There's something nagging inside me fearing that Provo is hoping for an offer sheet... but at this point someone would have to offer him close to Karlsson bucks for Fletcher to be flat out unable to match.  

The report says they arent close and the kid wants to be patient. Your point is he and his agent are eager to get it done.

I cant get on board with your logic

• Like 1

I agree with the opinions that he will get signed. For whatever amount it turns out to be, one thing is certain, it's going to be hated on this forum. 

There is no way they go to all this trouble fixing the defense, just to let their centerpiece walk. I don't care what they have to pay, just frickin do it. In my mind there isn't a number that's too high

• Like 2

@BobbyClarkeFan16

what if that's where they started and he still says nyet ? That thought is not a happy one. 

I think the guy is worth opening the check book for, in fact he is the guy you back the Wells Fargo truck up for. When he's healthy.

I still think he was injured last year, He didn't take a slapper maybe the whole year that I saw, and he fumbled the puck a lot even when he wasn't under pressure, I think his body was betraying him. I hope rest from a long offseason has helped him.  I know guys don't develop linearly and hopefully last year was his slump year.

I remember how personally he took the loss to Pgh and how he played with a broken shoulder, that guy is a leader- he cares- give me 13 more just like him you know  ?

@mojo1917 it won't be Provorov turning that contract down. It would be his agent Mark Gandler and I doubt Gandler would be his agent for long after that. 8 years and $62 million is really good money, so I can't see Provorov turning that down. 

As for last year, he was definitely injured, no doubt in my mind. Provorov was wincing every time a hard pass was delivered to his stick or if he had to shoot the puck. If I were coach, I would have pulled him and ordered the team doctors to do an MRI on his shoulder. He was also gassed and Hakstol continued to run him into the ground at break neck speed. The good news is that with a competent coaching staff in place, the days of Provorov playing 25 to 27 minutes a night during the regular season is coming to an end and he'll be better off for it. I'm also expecting 15 to 17 goals from Ivan this year and 45 to 50 points. I think this is the year Provorov becomes a superstar defenseman.

• Like 2