Seravalli: Flyers & Provorov not close

ruxpin

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

His dad is his agent?? I thought i read it was Marc Gandler who is representing Ivan.

Which would explain the delay since he is so greedy with all his clients.

The post you quoted was talking about Marner.

Marner's agent isn't his dad, though. Marner's agent is Darren Ferris. Paul Marner is just apparently the NHL version of Lamar Ball.

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

If Provorov gets $6M, he'd be the highest paid player on Gandler's roster. He has all of seven (of 24) guys making $1M or more

https://puckpedia.com/agent/mark-gandler

Coming off a 28g/59point (66 games) season for Barkov, all he got him was $5.9M. That's closer to a Couturier-type deal than it is, say, Hayesian.

I think i would prefer a deal like Werenski's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

His dad is his agent?? I thought i read it was Marc Gandler who is representing Ivan.

Which would explain the delay since he is so greedy with all his clients.

Yes, Gandler represents Provorov. Mitch Marner is the one who has his dad as his agent.

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

The post you quoted was talking about Marner.

Marner's agent isn't his dad, though. Marner's agent is Darren Ferris. Paul Marner is just apparently the NHL version of Lamar Ball.

Oh really? The article I read made it sound like his dad was his agent. 

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I cannot even comprehend this post.  

Haha, it's less extreme than it sounds. I just mean that I'd rather Fletch stand his ground *if* the Provorov camp is not being reasonable, e.g. the $10M demand. Apparently that is untrue, so they're probably not all that far apart.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Oh really? The article I read made it sound like his dad was his agent. 

I guess it could have changed, but Farris was definitely his agent when the Mathews extension was finalized.

21 hours ago, brelic said:

To illustrate a more difficult case (and @CoachX this is what I meant by a GM not just capitulating to a player's demands if it doesn't make sense for his vision of the organization):

This just makes me think of Giroux and Voracek. 

Jake got literally 25k/year less than Giroux did and that had to be by design and I assume Jake understood and was cool with that.

However, unlike Matthews and Marner, it's far less vague as to who was more valuable to the Flyers.  There were more seasons between G and Jake's deals than Marner and Matthews, so the market value inflation also played more of a factor. 

Long story short, if I was Joe Sakic, I'd have really thought hard on an offer sheet for Marner and let the chips fall where they may.  

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

This just makes me think of Giroux and Voracek. 

Jake got literally 25k/year less than Giroux did and that had to be by design and I assume Jake understood and was cool with that.

However, unlike Matthews and Marner, it's far less vague as to who was more valuable to the Flyers.  There were more seasons between G and Jake's deals than Marner and Matthews, so the market value inflation also played more of a factor. 

Long story short, if I was Joe Sakic, I'd have really thought hard on an offer sheet for Marner and let the chips fall where they may.  

Right, and this is where Marner is a bit delusional -

Leafs GM Kyle Dubas has indicated a willingness to sign a short term deal, but Marner is looking for contract structures similar to that of San Jose’s Timo Meier and Columbus defenseman Zach Werenski, with the high-salaried final year that would make for a high qualifying offer and a clear path to unrestricted free agency.

Friedman indicated Marner’s representatives pitched a bridge deal with a third season of $15 Million, an amount higher than Connor McDavid’s league-high $12.5 Million salary.

There is no universe in which Marner is a better player than McDavid. I realize that Marner's deal would come 3-4 years after McDavid's, so that's a consideration. But highest paid player in the league?

I don't know how true this is, but the folks at BSH radio mentioned today that Provorov (or his agent) has indicated he wants to be the highest paid player on the team.

Thoughts?

If he hadn't just laid an egg of a season, he would have a much stronger case.

21 minutes ago, brelic said:

Right, and this is where Marner is a bit delusional -

There is no universe in which Marner is a better player than McDavid. I realize that Marner's deal would come 3-4 years after McDavid's, so that's a consideration. But highest paid player in the league?

I don't know how true this is, but the folks at BSH radio mentioned today that Provorov (or his agent) has indicated he wants to be the highest paid player on the team.

Thoughts?

If he hadn't just laid an egg of a season, he would have a much stronger case.

Yeah, Marner's a bit delusional with that. HOWEVER, the problem is that the Leafs kinda screwed themselves with the Matthews, Tavares and Nylander deals.  

Provorov's delusional if he wants to be the highest paid player on the team NOW.  in 4 years?  He could likely deserve that. Of course in 4 years, Giroux's contract is up and Jake will be the highest paid player on the team at 8.25million AAV. 

If Provo wants to structure a bridge deal so that he'll still be RFA but the qualifying offer has to be in the $8million dollar range, I'm pretty much fine with that.  

If he thinks he should get $8.5 million + right now, then I'm gonna have to ask him to cool his jets.  Giroux had a bridge deal, Jake had a bridge deal, Coots had one, JVR had one and Hayes had one.  Those are all the highest paid players on the team now and they got that way via bridge deals that enabled them to prove their value to the team and the league. 

I love Provo, but as you point out, injured or not, he had a down year (most of the defense not named Gudas or Sanheim had an off year).  Bad time for him to have an off year, but I'm not interested in letting him Nylander this team into not being able to move on it's other key players.  

He needs to understand that there is an expansion draft coming up and Sanheim and Myers are hot on his heels right now with Cam York sharpening his blades on the horizon.  The fact of the matter is, if they HAD to trade his rights, it would sting quite a bit.  It would suck for all of us, and the team would be worse off... BUT the organization on the whole would still be better off in terms of Defense talent than they have been since 2010.  

Werenski took the deal.  If Provo takes a similar deal that gives him a higher AAV and bigger subsequent qualifying offer, he should be happy.  

I really get the feeling that this is a waiting game right now.  A final few minutes of chicken.  Provo and his agent were at the game last night apparently.  I do think they're expecting to go to camp on time.  

Just now, Podein25 said:

TOI just under 15 min because TK doesn't kill penalties, which he should be doing. He was an amazing PK guy in Jr.

And Hakstol played him on the third line quite a bit.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Josh Morrisey just signed for 8 years at 6.25 per. Provorovs numbers aren't a heck of a lot better than his.

Yeah, that should be the ballpark. I love both their games, with a slight preference to Provy because of his skating.

• Like 1