Seravalli: Flyers & Provorov not close

ruxpin

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

But see that's the problem in the salary cap era you have to or otherwise in the long run some good talent is headed out the door.

In the 90's days sure who gives a f**k.

But the while point of drafting all the good kids is so you can hold onto more than 3 or 4.

Not caring now is disaster for later.

I agree, for GMs it’s vitally important. 

But it’s not for me. I have zero control over it. 

So if Provy really wants to play for $58M instead of $64M, he will. If not, he’ll hold out until he gets what he wants. 

To @ruxpin‘s point, it does feel like a giant middle finger from the PA to the NHL saying, “sure, you can keep the same rules for RFAs if you want, but this is what it’s gonna look like... still sure that’s what you want?”

• Like 1

I think this is all bs to drudge up discussion during a boring time period

He will sign. Many will bitch and moan regardless of amount or term, and the season will start on time

Oh, and....

👻 wont be traded

• Like 1

Speaking to Russian sports outlet Sport Express, veteran hockey agent Mark Gandler indirectly denied a report from Columbus Dispatch writer Brian Hedger that he had made a salary cap ask of $10 million for his unsigned restricted free agent client Ivan Provorov. Gandler said to Sport Express writer Mikhail Zislis (via a Google Translate version of the Russian article), "As for Ivan Provorov, I will tell you this: I do not even want to comment on the delusional statements and rumors from the press and what is written on the Internet. I do not see any point in this. I can say that the general manager [Chuck Fletcher] and I know the whole truth."

The agent did not comment on how close or far away the two sides are from reaching an agreement. Flyers assistant general manager Brent Flahr told NHL Network Radio earlier this week that the organization remains hopeful of getting agreements done with both Provorov and Travis Konecny before the start of training camp.....

I M O ..

..If they can work out a bridge deal that would be fine.....but not 10 mil per...

he has to earn that ..

Edited by intheslot
adding letters
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

Overpaying for a middling second line center UFA while playing hardball with your homegrown #1 defenseman is such a perfect Flyer move.  Fletcher fits this organization perfectly.

How do you know it isnt Provo playing hardball?

What if he is asking for 10 mil a season?

16 hours ago, brelic said:

To @ruxpin‘s point, it does feel like a giant middle finger from the PA to the NHL saying, “sure, you can keep the same rules for RFAs if you want, but this is what it’s gonna look like... still sure that’s what you want?”

hey, all, lurking a bit again

one thought on the above...older players are part of the PA, too.  and you'd think their seniority would give them more pull in the PA's go-forward plans.  this move to extremely large second contracts is going to (probably already has, haven't been paying attention) start taking a LOT of money and ultimately jobs from UFAs.  I can see things getting weird in the next negotiations, i wouldn't be shocked if the PA actually starts looking for more controls on RFA deals, or at least not give a lot of resistance if/when the owners try to wrap them up in restrictions.  the PA was all about opening up options and leverage for young players, but that was before the game itself started favoring guys under the age of 27 so heavily, the vets could be magnanimous.  anymore?  less so, i would think.

Edited by aziz

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

He told me the other day over a few brews...

...oops I wasn't suppose to say nothing damnit now I have become the Frank Seravalli around here...

DOH!

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Uggh... 1

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

...oops I wasn't suppose to say nothing damnit now I have become the Frank Seravalli around here...

DOH!

I knew all along you were an "insider"! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

What if he is asking for 10 mil a season?

My personal POV is that I highly doubt it's as tense and acrimonious as we all assume it must be due to the radio silence.  

Laughton filed for arbitration and then it became unnecessary immediately.  Laughton likely filed just to get the deal in place.  Apparently he and the Flyers agreed to the deal well before the arbitration hearing which says to me that the Flyers made their qualifying offer and were likely planning to stand pat all summer and resume leading up to camp. 

Neither TK nor Provo are arbitration eligible and thus could not force the issue and that says to me it's likely the Flyers dragging their feet right now.

I highly doubt anyone's playing "Hardball" . It's probably Provo's agent telling him to relax and the team just sorting through their plans and having a summer break buying a luke warm lunch and some coors light for Chief and stuff like that.

There are far too many of these RFA's unsigned around the league for me to be worried about our two guys.  It says to me that it's just the way things are going to go this summer.  

As an aside (as I've said in other threads and probably this one) I remain convinced that Point and Marner will both sign on the first day of the season and that delay is throwing a wrench in the works for everyone else right now.  Marner because the Leafs won't be able to afford him until they can wipe their LTIR dollars off the books and Point because he's waiting for Marner's deal to sign his own.   The Leafs LITERALLY have $13million in LTIR sitting there waiting and that is exactly the number I've been reading that Marner is after.  It would be crazy to see him get more than Matthews or Tavares, but he outscored them both, so there you go.  

Tampa's going to have to make some moves in order to free up that much, but it's not at all inconceivable.  They're not that far off.  

Another sticking point is likely McAvoy whom Boston can't fit under the cap if he's expecting $8million or if they also plan on resigning Carlo.  They may have to make a move to sign him.  They're pretty close to being able to do that though.  

Werenski and Provo are likely to wait until that can happen to ink their deals.  

Long story short, I think most of these deals are already in place but for the final numbers, which I doubt will change drastically from where they've been negotiated to currently.  

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

DOH!

This explains everything 

• Good Post 1

I think the 10 mill number is sly posturing on the part of Provs agent. All part of the game. If you shoot for the stars with 10...the Flyers are kinda forced to start around 6. I see a longer 5-7 yr deal at about 7.2 and a shorter bridge deal about 7.9 mill. I believe he will be a decent bargain at 8 mill in just a few short years. The talent is glaringly obvious. He hurt his leverage with a poor season...but his agent AND Fletch both know a rebound is inevitable. It is this premise that will score Provs 7 mill+.

33 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I think the 10 mill number is sly posturing on the part of Provs agent. All part of the game. If you shoot for the stars with 10...the Flyers are kinda forced to start around 6. I see a longer 5-7 yr deal at about 7.2 and a shorter bridge deal about 7.9 mill. I believe he will be a decent bargain at 8 mill in just a few short years. The talent is glaringly obvious. He hurt his leverage with a poor season...but his agent AND Fletch both know a rebound is inevitable. It is this premise that will score Provs 7 mill+.

Or could be the Flyers leaked the $10M rumour. Makes it look like the Provorov camp is being unreasonable.

2 hours ago, brelic said:

Or could be the Flyers leaked the $10M rumour. Makes it look like the Provorov camp is being unreasonable.

I would lean towards the agent, but sure...would not be the first time a NHL team employed that tactic.

On 8/22/2019 at 7:55 PM, flyercanuck said:

Maybe the GM should have looked to the future a bit before overpaying a mediocre free agent and giving him full term....giving all the up and coming homegrown talent reason to be greedy. 

I know I've beaten that horse, but if Hayes is work 7X7 then what IS Provorov worth? Or Sanheim? Or Konecny? Or Farabee or Frost? Etc.

Yeah, that is tricky for sure. It gives a ton of ammo to their agents if nothing else.

On 8/23/2019 at 10:49 AM, intheslot said:

Speaking to Russian sports outlet Sport Express, veteran hockey agent Mark Gandler indirectly denied a report from Columbus Dispatch writer Brian Hedger that he had made a salary cap ask of $10 million for his unsigned restricted free agent client Ivan Provorov. Gandler said to Sport Express writer Mikhail Zislis (via a Google Translate version of the Russian article), "As for Ivan Provorov, I will tell you this: I do not even want to comment on the delusional statements and rumors from the press and what is written on the Internet. I do not see any point in this. I can say that the general manager [Chuck Fletcher] and I know the whole truth."

Worth quoting again.  

Think these guys are closer than we all think.  I don't know what's taking Werenski and McAvoy so long to get done, but that's the hold up.  I suppose Marner is holding up everything for nearly all RFAs.  As fans, it's frustrating being in the dark.  But I suspect the GMs and agents have some sort of plan worked out to get players signed once the "market setters" come to terms or perhaps they have established a "drop dead date" by when their players will sign a contract, even if the "market setters" have not.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 9:56 AM, vis said:

But I suspect the GMs and agents have some sort of plan worked out to get players signed once the "market setters" come to terms

I wonder if the Timo Meier deal he signed could be holding up the TK deal.

I'd imagine the money he is getting on a 4 year deal has some influence on it maybe.

STANDARD CONTRACT

LENGTH: 4 YEARS
EXPIRY STATUS: RFA
SIGNING TEAM: San Jose SharksSan Jose Sharks
VALUE: $24,000,000
C.H.% q.svg: 7.36
SIGNING DATE: July 1, 2019

I deleted the rest of the copied and paste post because it didn't go well on my phone.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/timo-meier

15.4 mill in total signing bonuses....10 in the last year brings his AAV up to 6 mill per.

However TK has never put up 30 goals before is in Chuckles corner..

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'd imagine the money he is getting on a 4 year deal has some influence on it maybe.

STANDARD CONTRACT

LENGTH: 4 YEARS
EXPIRY STATUS: RFA
SIGNING TEAM: San Jose SharksSan Jose Sharks
VALUE: $24,000,000
C.H.% q.svg: 7.36
SIGNING DATE: July 1, 2019

I deleted the rest of the copied and paste post because it didn't go well on my phone.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/timo-meier

15.4 mill in total signing bonuses....10 in the last year brings his AAV up to 6 mill per.

However TK has never put up 30 goals before is in Chuckles corner..

The Sharks had better be right on this one. They'll have to qualify Meier at $10M.

48 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

The Sharks had better be right on this one. They'll have to qualify Meier at $10M.

Exactly it has the potential to blow up in their face right as he is hitting his prime.

I'm really not sure what some of these GM are doing handing out some of these contracts it's like they don't give a damn about next year only this year....it's mind boggling...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Exactly it has the potential to blow up in their face right as he is hitting his prime.

I'm really not sure what some of these GM are doing handing out some of these contracts it's like they don't give a damn about next year only this year....it's mind boggling...

I agree, it seems like they're all reckless. 

Here's the thing though - it always seems to work out. As in the worst consequences are that you don't win the Cup and lose your job. But that's just the 'cost' of doing business for these guys. 

Edited by brelic

1 hour ago, brelic said:

I agree, it seems like they're all reckless. 

Here's the thing though - it always seems to work out. As in the worst consequences are that you don't win the Cup and lose your job. But that's just the 'cost' of doing business for these guys. 

Sure it's all just one big huge gamble...I just varies of how far they are will to go with it...

...a roll of the dice...

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe.  But Meier put up 30G and 65+ points this past season.  Konecny hasn't topped 25 or 50.  Konecny has been more consistently productive over the years.  My sense is Meier is better all around, but maybe I'm wrong about that.  His fancy stats are better than Konecny's.  

9 minutes ago, vis said:

Maybe.  But Meier put up 30G and 65+ points this past season.  Konecny hasn't topped 25 or 50.  Konecny has been more consistently productive over the years.  My sense is Meier is better all around, but maybe I'm wrong about that.  His fancy stats are better than Konecny's.  

Sure hard to tell what criteria they will use.

TK averages .53 points per game.

Meier averages .55 points per game.

Both are 22.

Hopefully we'll know soon.

I'm not worried till they start missing camp time.