Kessel traded to Coyotes

yave1964

WHAT IS KNOWN

Kessel for Galchenyuk is the big part of the deal but other pieces are involved. More to come. I will reserve judgement until all the pieces are known although I am a big proponent of whoever gets the best player in any deal wins the deal and Kessel is a power play God and a point a game player while Chuckie has now frustrated two organizatons with his tremendous skill but lack of output.

@hf101

Joseph is a nice prospect as a defenseman a stay at home kid who is a former first rounder who is a couple of years away but the big thing is Chuckie is an UFA after next year and Kessel is obviously locked up long term. I still say great deal for the offensively challenged 'Yotes.

Edited by yave1964

7 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@hf101

Joseph is a nice prospect as a defenseman a stay at home kid who is a former first rounder who is a couple of years away but the big thing is Chuckie is an UFA after next year and Kessel is obviously locked up long term. I still say great deal for the offensively challenged 'Yotes.

I agree.  Galenchenyuk doesn't bring anything really to the Pens, while Kessel will play for Tochet.  

• Like 1

Check out this statement posted by Greg Wyshynski, ESPN.

Penguins GM Jim Rutherford and winger Phil Kessel are very much in disagreement on his alleged trade requests out of Pittsburgh. Rutherford said on Saturday, after trading Kessel to Arizona, that Kessel asked to be traded a numerous times, but changed his mind. Kessel didn’t agree with that statement. “I’m not sure that’s exactly what happened," he said on a Coyotes conference call. "Jim came to me, one time, and said to me that I’ll never be a Penguin again. I think he’s mistaken a little bit there. But I’m not here to tell what really happened and the real truth. So whatever Jim wants to say.”

lol

I like to know why Jim Rutherford is trading draft choices?

I'm curious if Kessel's arguments with Sullivan had something to do with wanting to be traded? I wish him well!

Edited by notfondajane

More good stuff...

:63:     Which means likely the... Flyers, Capitals, Rangers, NY Islanders, Blue Jackets, Bruins, Maple Leafs, Lightning and Arizona. 

Anyone else have other guesses?

• Like 1

Meh. Galchenyuk put up 19/22/41 on a mediocre Coyotes team. I guess I can hope if you put him on one of the top lines on the Pens that can become 25/40/65. Younger and faster. $2M cheaper. He's got 1 more year left. If he works out, keep him. If not, they have cap space to play with after this season.  In a vacuum, not a great deal for the Pens but considering this is literally the ONLY team they could have dealt him too, not bad...and a decent prospect to boot.  

• Good Post 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 8:03 AM, hf101 said:

More good stuff...

:63:     Which means likely the... Flyers, Capitals, Rangers, NY Islanders, Blue Jackets, Bruins, Maple Leafs, Lightning and Arizona. 

Anyone else have other guesses?

What almost happened.

According to Dennis Bernstein of The Fourth Period, during the time that the team were negotiating a trade for Kessel, they also looked into the possibility of acquiring Jeff Carterfrom the LA Kings.

The hypothesized trade would have seen veteran blueliner Alex Goligoski heading to the City of Angels in exchange for the 34-year-old forward.

The deal would’ve seen the Coyotes take on Carter’s $5,272,727 cap hit for three seasons, while actually saving real dollars in that time.

Carter will earn a total of $7 million over the next three seasons, while Goligoski, who has a slightly lower cap hit of $5.475 million for two more seasons, will earn $9.8 million over the next two years.

While saving the Coyotes plenty of real money in the long-term, this trade would have been significantly worse for the team than the deal that secured the services of Kessel.

Bullet dodged?

• Like 1