Simmonds 3RW?

CoachX

I will use the numbers and assumptions laid out by beat writers...

It is said that the Flyers could have about 2.7 left agter signing all the RFA. If Simmonds would sign for that 2.7, would you do it?

I would. I still think he is worth 15 to 20 goals and "hes a good guy in the room"

22 minutes ago, CoachX said:

It is said that the Flyers could have about 2.7 left agter signing all the RFA. If Simmonds would sign for that 2.7, would you do it?

I would. I still think he is worth 15 to 20 goals and "hes a good guy in the room"

I'll skip right past the "good guy in the room" and save you the rerun. 

I don't bring him back. I swear to you, he was one of my favorite flyers and always will be. But his days even on the third line are done, and it was painful sending him off the first time.  I'd rather plug it with a kid and take my chances. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, CoachX said:

No. As much as I love Simmonds, I think he's cooked, and even strength was never his strong suit. I think one of the youngsters can provide as much value on the ice at this point. On top of that, you have up to 3 million in performance bonuses coming this season. While not likely, if all are met, you're already looking at another 300k of cap overage to push into next year when you have to re-sign Patrick and Lindblom - that will only increase with an additional signing, and make it more likely that smaller bonus payments get pushed into next year. If they progress as we need them to for this season to be successful, you're making it harder and harder to get them under contract without making a salary dump trade. Finally, it's always good to have cap space going into the season to facilitate in-season trades. It "increases" as the season goes on, allowing the team to add more expensive players if they think it is beneficial.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'll skip right past the "good guy in the room" and save you the rerun. 

I don't bring him back. I swear to you, he was one of my favorite flyers and always will be. But his days even on the third line are done, and it was painful sending him off the first time.  I'd rather plug it with a kid and take my chances. 

This.

It pains me to say it but his skills have eroded quickly.

And if he was a good defensive forward i might consider it but he isn't so i have to say hard pass...

• Like 1

The only AHL'er I would think of bringing up is AK, let the other guys learn in the AHL, there is no rush, Ruby would of been great, had he had a full season in the minors but got hurt.

I would be interested in Simmonds coming back for sure, but the money and years might be prohibitive. They need cap space during the season. But let's say cap space wasn't an issue and they had 3.5 mill to use.

Name players who would fit the 3RW that are available right now to sign.

Not just blanket statements that say, "There are other guys that they can sign." Like who of the UFA's, that are better than Simmonds?

He is solid in the locker room, he scores around the net and on Power Plays. AV's system might help him improve on where to be in his defensive zone coverage.

I'm all for bringing back Simmonds, but I don't see/know how that could possibly be with the cap where it's at and the smart thing to do is not waste all of it before the season starts. Fletch kinda dug himself in that whole.

Kinda like having a new credit card and seeing all that available balance(Cap Space), then blowing too much too soon. I'm looking at Niskanen and Braun. Retaining that much cap was not good just because you had it available and forecasting how much a Hayes was going to want in an open market.

Again would like Simmonds back, but as stated, unfortunately we can't afford him, unless we get rid of Pitlick.

7 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

The only AHL'er I would think of bringing up is AK, let the other guys learn in the AHL, there is no rush, Ruby would of been great, had he had a full season in the minors but got hurt.

I would be interested in Simmonds coming back for sure, but the money and years might be prohibitive. They need cap space during the season. But let's say cap space wasn't an issue and they had 3.5 mill to use.

Name players who would fit the 3RW that are available right now to sign.

Not just blanket statements that say, "There are other guys that they can sign." Like who of the UFA's, that are better than Simmonds?

He is solid in the locker room, he scores around the net and on Power Plays. AV's system might help him improve on where to be in his defensive zone coverage.

I'm all for bringing back Simmonds, but I don't see/know how that could possibly be with the cap where it's at and the smart thing to do is not waste all of it before the season starts. Fletch kinda dug himself in that whole.

Kinda like having a new credit card and seeing all that available balance(Cap Space), then blowing too much too soon. I'm looking at Niskanen and Braun. Retaining that much cap was not good just because you had it available and forecasting how much a Hayes was going to want in an open market.

Again would like Simmonds back, but as stated, unfortunately we can't afford him, unless we get rid of Pitlick.

This why i was asking if the 2.7 mil in space, assuming Simmer took it, would be a good price to bring him back

What if it was a 1 year deal? Hell, he "deteriorated" and still scored 17 goals

3 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Hate to be a homer, but bring him back somewhere in the organization. He bleeds orange and black. Excellent warrior and role model.

This I disagree with. Its gotten them in trouble tol many times. If he can fill a role on ice, then ok. If not, move on

2 hours ago, Digityman said:

No.   I would fill that spot with the best kid in camp.   Just say no to retreads. 

Let the kid fill the 4th line. I dont see ""Potluck" being anything more than what his name says

8 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

"There are other guys that they can sign." Like who of the UFA's, that are better than Simmonds?

I threw out Tyler Ennis and no one really responded either way. He doesn't bring the same game as Simonds but neither does Simmonds either anymore...but he is better at back checking than Simmer.

But you have names like Nyquist, Zuccarello (who wants term though), Donskoi, Connolly, Tanev or even an older forward like Pominville.

Or if you want a younger type forward Markus Granlund, Jaskins, Frk, Rattie and Noesen.

Or if you want a reclamation project offer Brett Ritchie or even Valeri Nichushkin if you are really feeling froggy.

Here is a list of some of the guys available at RW.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2020/caphit/all/rightwing/ufa

Some decent options....just don't know all what they are looking for.

However NAK will be a part of the roster somehow.

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

However NAK will be a part of the roster somehow.

Why exactly? Im not seeing why everyone is so high on this guy

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Because he is one of the best 5 on 5 forwards they have.

And can easily play in the bottom 6.

He brings a good bit of skill and some sandpaper that has been lost.

He is 23 and will surely be snapped up if sent down. 

And it's not about just being high on the guy why spend a 2nd round pick on a kid spend the time developing him and not even give him a shot to see if he can help when their is limited cap space before just moving on from him?? Why not??

Why are you so against it???

Do you want to see him go on to some other club like the Devils or something have a solid career and come back to haunt the Flyers and then we have 30 more threads about why this kid never got a chance with the Flyers??

I'm not claiming none of that WILL happen. I'm just saying he is right here it cost you NOTHING to look and and give some games to for more than one frigging game.

Then and only then if he looks like Varone or Bailey or the second coming of Jason Akeson..hey by all means cut bait waive him and move on.

As said once again it cost them nothing but what he is already making 800- 950K is all it will require.

If he busts then waive him if he goes unclaimed then he is buried in the AHL and will be a solid depth forward down there and his cap hit will be off the books. Low risk possible high reward option.

• Like 1

And as a said they might want to keep a spot open for a kid....like Farabee...

“Obviously right now there’s a third-line right wing spot open, so that’s my goal, to make that spot. I don’t think I would have turned pro if I had no shot, so that was a pretty obvious decision. My goal is to make the team but at the end of the day, if I’m playing at Lehigh that’s still a really good league and that will help me in the long run. That’s kind of where I’m at.”

https://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2019/06/30/can-joel-farabee-win-spot-flyers-fall/1611471001/

“BU is a great program, and if they had decided to stay for another season, we would have fully supported it. Joel made the decision that he felt he was ready to turn pro in consultation with the people around him, and that’s a personal decision,” Fletcher said. “He’s a hockey player. He’s still a young man that has to get stronger and probably put on a little more weight to fully handle the rigors of an 82-game NHL season, but in terms of hockey sense, skill, skating, passion to play the game, he has all those elements already and it’s just going to be a question of time, and really, maturity. Watching him out here, his talent stands out. It wouldn’t take you many drills to pick him out as one of the better players on the ice.”

“We’ll also see what comes out of training camp,” Fletcher said. “Just watching this development camp, there’s a lot of young kids, and ideally they all get some time in the American League, but there’s a lot of high-end talent here. It’s been impressive to see. Our scouting staff has done a tremendous job. This is the most talent I’ve seen in a development camp in my…whatever number of years I’ve been in the business, both in terms of quality and quantity at every position. So, it’s a deep group of prospects and many of them will be playing pro hockey this year. At some point there’s certainly players in this camp right now that could impact our roster in a positive way.”

...then NAK could still be the 13th or 14th forward.

And say just for shats and giggles it looks like Farabee needs some seasoning he is simply returned to LV.

There options as long as Chuckles doesn't paint himself into a corner like his boss Homer use to do...

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Because he is one of the best 5 on 5 forwards they have.

And can easily play in the bottom 6.

He brings a good bit of skill and some sandpaper that has been lost.

He is 23 and will surely be snapped up if sent down. 

And it's not about just being high on the guy why spend a 2nd round pick on a kid spend the time developing him and not even give him a shot to see if he can help when their is limited cap space before just moving on from him?? Why not??

Why are you so against it???

Do you want to see him go on to some other club like the Devils or something have a solid career and come back to haunt the Flyers and then we have 30 more threads about why this kid never got a chance with the Flyers??

I'm not claiming none of that WILL happen. I'm just saying he is right here it cost you NOTHING to look and and give some games to for more than one frigging game.

Then and only then if he looks like Varone or Bailey or the second coming of Jason Akeson..hey by all means cut bait waive him and move on.

As said once again it cost them nothing but what he is already making 800- 950K is all it will require.

If he busts then waive him if he goes unclaimed then he is buried in the AHL and will be a solid depth forward down there and his cap hit will be off the books. Low risk possible high reward option.

Saying Im "so against it" is an over exaggeration. I havent seen much of him, so all I can go on is stats. And thise make him look like an ok player. Since he gets some regular praise here, Im wondering what the hype is. I just dont see it. 

They traded for Potluck to round out the 4th line with Laughton and Raffl. You have Frost, Rubstov and Farabee pushing for spots. Why will he be so vital? You say he is one of the best 5 on 5 guys they have, but he is only good enough (your words) to make bottom 6. Why isnt he good enough to be 3rw? We can end the trade/FA discussion right there

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I don't think he was given decent opportunity by Hak, but I honestly didn't see much either. 

I did blink though, so I missed most of it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I havent seen much of him, so all I can go on is stats.

Ok 30 points (16 goals 14 assist) and in 53 games last year is a solid year with a very very banged up Phantom forward group.

His 16 even strength goals were good for 4th on the team he doesn't get power play time and tops in the AHL.

In 2017-18 he lead the AHL with 18 goals total 5 on 5 in 72 games.

Now he does have to tone down the physical stuff some because he got suspended last year from it.

But i would prefer to have to reel a kid in some than have to provide motivation and a reason to play hard with and away from the puck.

I mean for all i know he is just a Varone and career AHLer but i would like to see what he could do with some quality linemates and a good role. The Flyers need guys who can play a good solid 200 foot game....and if Simmonds was capable of that he would be a Flyer i think even on a cheap deal.

Nothing ventured is nothing gained. Damn assuming and projecting...i want to know and evaluate with live bullets...

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't think he was given decent opportunity by Hak, but I honestly didn't see much either. 

I did blink though, so I missed most of it. 

The times i remember him playing was with Raffl or Laughton or Varone....not exactly lighting the world on fire with giving the talent to play with.

And then on top of the fact his minutes were with the bums who really were not playing for anything they had been eliminated already.

He played 9 games on the 4th line with a team who had nothing to play for a still finished +1.

Hey could have easily been a -5 or -6 but to be a plus i want to see more.

The last 5 games of the season Laughton finished -4  w/ 2 PIMs Raffl -3 NAK +1 w/ 2 PIMs NAK +1 w/ 0 PIMs. 

I say the kid gets his chance.

• Like 1