A Bit Underwhelmed (and Concerned)

Howie58

A good read on the Tyler Pitlick acquisition.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/a-deeper-dive-projecting-pitlicks-role/c-308337256

I think if he finds his spot on the 4th and can recapture his production from 2017-18 which was 80 games 14 goals 13 assists 27 points +9 in 13 minutes a game i would call it a success.

Can he or will he i guess it depends on how quick he can develop some chemistry with Laughton and Raffl. 

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

A good read on the Tyler Pitlick acquisition.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/a-deeper-dive-projecting-pitlicks-role/c-308337256

I think if he finds his spot on the 4th and can recapture his production from 2017-18 which was 80 games 14 goals 13 assists 27 points +9 in 13 minutes a game i would call it a success.

Can he or will he i guess it depends on how quick he can develop some chemistry with Laughton and Raffl. 

There's nothing wrong with Pitlick's motor; he's just always had terrible luck with injuries. I hope he can make a go of it in Philly.

Three teams received a flat out "F" from Boomer, they were the Philadelphia Flyers, the Anaheim Ducks and the Minnesota Wild. One team however received the lowest possible grade of them all, an F-, and that was perhaps unsurprisingly the Edmonton Oilers. That is to say Chuck Fletcher of the Flyers, Bob Murray of the Anaheim Ducks and Paul Fenton of the Wild all received an F, while Ken Holland of the Oilers received an F-. The loudest and most vociferous complaining however has come from the Oilers fan base, and likely for good reason.

46 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Three teams received a flat out "F" from Boomer, they were the Philadelphia Flyers, the Anaheim Ducks and the Minnesota Wild. One team however received the lowest possible grade of them all, an F-, and that was perhaps unsurprisingly the Edmonton Oilers. That is to say Chuck Fletcher of the Flyers, Bob Murray of the Anaheim Ducks and Paul Fenton of the Wild all received an F, while Ken Holland of the Oilers received an F-. The loudest and most vociferous complaining however has come from the Oilers fan base, and likely for good reason.

The F- is for all of the season, so the vast majority of that grade is Peter Chiarelli, for whom the F- is most definitely deserved. I think Holland has made some smart moves in his short time as GM. All-in-all, I wouldn't want to crap on Boomer for the low score, as Chiarelli's moves were all pretty much crippling and short-sighted.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 5:45 AM, flyercanuck said:

No...but I've drank at Princes bar in Minneapolis and I like the Dandy Warhols.

And I fish.

Fun fact: Le Warhols Elegant are from Portland, OR

👺

15 hours ago, intheslot said:

The main reason the Flyers got an "F" according to Boomer was because of how they handled Hextall.  Boomer was a Hextall guy.  Loved him.  And he had a major issue with how the Hextall firing went down, citing that it appeared the Flyers had little plan in place for his firing or replacement.  I don't disagree with that at all, but that's not a reflection on the GM, it's a reflection of Comcast.  He also cited the fact that they should have fired Hakstol as well and made it awkward by not doing so.  Again, I agree.  But again, that's a reflection of Comcast.  He says he's not sure what the Flyers are now and frets that Fletcher is going to tear down the prospect pool that Hextall built.  But that hasn't happened yet, despite a lot of hand wringing from some fans.  Yes, he fairly points out that the Hayes contract was an overpayment (that's on Fletcher and Co. for sure).  He questions that Niskanen/Braun deals.  However, if he knew more about the team's situation, he'd know this team was in dire need of leaders/vets on the backend.  He also gave zero credit for hiring Vigneult.  However, I thought his criticisms of the offseason moves were fair.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, intheslot said:

provided by SiriusXM NHL Network radio host Jim "Boomer" Gordon,

Never heard of him.

2 hours ago, vis said:

The main reason the Flyers got an "F" according to Boomer was because of how they handled Hextall.  Boomer was a Hextall guy.  Loved him.  And he had a major issue with how the Hextall firing went down, citing that it appeared the Flyers had little plan in place for his firing or replacement.  I don't disagree with that at all, but that's not a reflection on the GM, it's a reflection of Comcast.  He also cited the fact that they should have fired Hakstol as well and made it awkward by not doing so.  Again, I agree.  But again, that's a reflection of Comcast.  He says he's not sure what the Flyers are now and frets that Fletcher is going to tear down the prospect pool that Hextall built.  But that hasn't happened yet, despite a lot of hand wringing from some fans.  Yes, he fairly points out that the Hayes contract was an overpayment (that's on Fletcher and Co. for sure).  He questions that Niskanen/Braun deals.  However, if he knew more about the team's situation, he'd know this team was in dire need of leaders/vets on the backend.  He also gave zero credit for hiring Vigneult.  However, I thought his criticisms of the offseason moves were fair.

I would have to agree with most of what he said. I have not been a fan of Fletcher or pretty much any of the moves he’s made so far. I stopped short of giving him a whole lot of credit for the draft because that credit falls to the scouting department.  It’s yet to be seen what Vigneult can do with the roster.   I still can’t believe that Fletcher did not even talk to Queniville when he was the best coach available.   He may not have landed Coach Q but the fact that he did not even talk to him is inexcusable In my eyes.  

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

RE: Boomer's take

Who gives a ****, really ?

Fletcher has not ruined this franchise yet.

He addressed concerns that every regular to this forum has voiced at one time or another.

The hate and shade the guy gets here ? Not even close to commensurate with his moves.

Yes Fletch didn't do so well in Minnesota, how much of that was him, how much was the ownership demanding to do stuff, how much was mediocre scouting ?

He is not a complete dumbass so I would imagine he has learned from his missteps with the Wild. 

He managed to talk dilettante Dave Scott out of a "bias for action" move for the sake of a move. 

He traded picks (from a position of strength) for a good player (Braun) who is on a good contract for 1 year

He traded an okay player (Gudas) for a better player (Niskanen). Both Braun and Niskanen are veteran minute eating players,(something everyone has been clamoring for) in Niskanen's case he's a strong locker room presence.  Okay he retained a little salary to help the Caps out, so he fostered a relationship with another GM while making his team better...yes **** that guy, he sucks  give him an F...whatever

Boomer can go pound sand and people need to get over themselves about  this. 

I have not seen one action that makes me think in 5 years there's no winning, and no prospects in the pool. We may lose a beloved young player because of the salary cap, that is going to happen regardless. Players want paid, teams need good players, with the hard cap a team can only have so many, and there are only so many roster spots available. 

• Like 4

On 7/28/2019 at 9:07 AM, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I would have to agree with most of what he said. I have not been a fan of Fletcher or pretty much any of the moves he’s made so far. I stopped short of giving him a whole lot of credit for the draft because that credit falls to the scouting department.  It’s yet to be seen what Vigneult can do with the roster.  

I don't love everything Fletcher has done, but I don't think an "F" is reflective of his efforts.  Frankly, I'm not sure that's even what "Boomer" is saying.  But it seems that OP presented it that way.  I think Boomer's grade is more of an indictment of the organization's handling of Hextall/Hakstol than it is anything that Fletcher has done.

On 7/28/2019 at 9:07 AM, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I still can’t believe that Fletcher did not even talk to Queniville when he was the best coach available.   He may not have landed Coach Q but the fact that he did not even talk to him is inexcusable In my eyes.

At first, I was bothered by this but understand that Quenneville to Florida was a foregone conclusion.  I also suspect there was some outreach to Q's camp, but the Flyers rebuffed (perhaps during and after the season).  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vis said:

I don't love everything Fletcher has done, but I don't think an "F" is reflective of his efforts.

This.

How Fletch can be judged, let alone this harshly, before any of his moves, signings, and personnel changes have yet to even all be in the same room together is beyond me. 

• Like 2