A Bit Underwhelmed (and Concerned)

Howie58

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

Why would you not try him now or why would you not try him last year?  

They did try him last year when the season was lost when the rest of his teammates didn't give a fcuk...well maybe except Morin since he was getting his shot too.

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Now I think you do give him a try, I just see him being outplayed by Frost

Sure and Frost should his skill level is through the roof but they also maybe would like to ease Frost into the pro game...he just turned 20 this past May. 

NAK is 23 and he needs to play now or be sent back through waivers and hey if he shows he is never going to be nothing but an AHLer then you waive him...Martel got claimed too last year...and it could happen with him but if he is a dime a dozen player then no worries.

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Vecchione, Bailey or Goulbourne for that kind of role

Those guys didn't play the game NAK is supposed to play..not defensively sound...and in Vecchione's case he lacked foot speed.

NAK just has to learn to tone the physical stuff down some....he does that he has a chance maybe...not and he could get waived.

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Since you're tight with him, just let him know!

I have but he shuts me out...i think he is mad at me since me and Ferland had coffee and didn't invite him.

That's fine i will call Chuckles and tell him to trade him!!!!!!!!! To Siberia!!!!!!! And he can be Nodl's teammate!!

51 minutes ago, vis said:

Pretty much agree with that hierchary.  I want them to have another leader among the forwards.  Williams is perfect for that role and has connections to the area.  

What a second,  isnt that the reason Braun and Niskanen was brought in, to help mentor?

I didnt think that was sound reasoning for signing a guy (not saying that was a point you made)

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Those guys didn't play the game NAK is supposed to play..not defensively sound...and in Vecchione's case he lacked foot speed.

To me, they're just decent injury call ups for a few games or half decent Phantoms in the meantime.  Now they're half decent AHLers elsewhere earning the same money.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

NAK just has to learn to tone the physical stuff down some....he does that he has a chance maybe...not and he could get waived.

It'll be good to get him his shot.  The Physical stuff won't fly on the big club.  They'll suspend his butt faster than he can skate rom blue line to blue line.

21 minutes ago, CoachX said:

What a second,  isnt that the reason Braun and Niskanen was brought in, to help mentor?

I didnt think that was sound reasoning for signing a guy (not saying that was a point you made)

Those guys are D men. THeir experience will help Provo and Ghost while they're playing and maybe help the overall locker room vibe... maybe?  but Williams and Marleau's veteran leadership is needed on the ice while Patty and Lindy are playing.  helping encourage good habits and not dogging it, etc.  

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

The Physical stuff won't fly on the big club.

Sure if it's within the rules. He finishes his checks...a missing element in the Flyers game the last few years except by a few.

He just needs to eliminate the suspension worth ones...hopefully that doesn't neuter his game like it did Radko.

And he will stick up for his teammates with Simmer gone who is going to do that now?? Only one they have sort of is Morin.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Sure if it's within the rules. He finishes his checks...a missing element in the Flyers game the last few years except by a few.

He just needs to eliminate the suspension worth ones...hopefully that doesn't neuter his game like it did Radko.

That's the trick.  Hits that are not suspension worthy on other teams are suspension worthy on the Flyers.  Radko was about 50/50 in deserving the suspensions he got and some of his team mates certainly received dirtier hits than some of the ones he got suspended for.  That's what I'm afraid of.  As a Flyer with any physicality, you have to be more careful than most other places.  

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

And he will stick up for his teammates with Simmer gone who is going to do that now?? Only one they have sort of is Morin.

Well you're not wrong, but... we did add Niskanen. 

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I know where they play

Then you know that a D man isn't going to cover for a forward as well as another forward who's literally on the ice with him every shift.  

I'm not talking about helping him with his taxes or finding a good roofer. 

Edited by King Knut

4 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Williams and Marleau's veteran leadership

And if Marleau does play it will be more than likely in California...it's why he told the Canes to buy him out...

"Everything is based on that -- family," Marleau said in an interview with NHL.com's Mike Zeisberger that ran Monday. "I wanted to kind of be with them. Our one son, it's based on his schooling and what was best for him. It was at the point where my wife and kids were planning on coming back [to California] already. It kind of ties it all together. Hard to explain it all.

"Basically, for the kids' schooling and stuff, we thought we could get the help and support we needed here. With four boys, it's a little bit easier here with family around for my wife."

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/sharks/why-former-sharks-star-patrick-marleau-wants-return-california

Canes asked him did he want to stay or buy him out and he chose the buyout because he wants to be near his family who are back in Cali.

fans are still living in the 90s where were able to get every star on market because there was no cap, after the cap situation, it was difficult to get a star besides briere on this team because of the cap, most of the stars that the flyers went after were trades, it wasnt free agents and sometimes it was luck that they wanted to come here, most of times when we after zach p and sutter, they didnt want to come here even though we paid top dollar for them and still went to the wild.

in this era, you cant go after stars in fa unless they want to come here and trade for them and it has to fit under the cap,it's not about paying top dollar anymore.

Edited by tucson83

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

we did add Niskanen. 

Yeah you're right i wasn't thinking about him...but no one really intimidating on the club...

...or even someone to recall.

Wow how the Flyers have changed...

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

That's the trick.

Yeah this is a close one and he just has to learn and there are guys still on the team that need to learn too.

I feel Morin will have a target on his back too just from the shear size he brings....and if he blows someone up and it creates a big boom the hand will go up automatically i think.

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

I like it but I just don't see them putting a rookie on a line with two developing younger guys around the same age.  

There was also talk of moving Frost to the RW. Might be easier than moving a LW. It'll be interesting... but I hope one of them gets a chance.  

They're talking like Farabee is going to get a legit look, but he's REALLY going to have to impress to make the Flyers.  My question on him though is if he doesn't make the team, will he play for the Phantoms or go back to college.  At his age... not an easy call IMHO.

Its gonna be a big competition but i believe Rubstov will win the third line wing position.  He is the most complete player of the group. He is also a good size and probably the best defensively. Sending the other kids to the Phantoms will only help their game.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

For cap reasons alone he gets a shot as one of the forwards he is only 23. So yeah his time is now or never.......here.

This is true.  But my sense is that he's rarely mentioned when the team talks about guys who could vie for a roster spot.  Last year, it was Vorobyev.  And this year it seems like they talk about Frost, Farabee, Rubtsov and Vorobyev.  Granted, there haven't been many soundbites this year, so the sample is small, plus the comments came after prospect camp.  I don't know.  He may have a shot, but I think it's a longer shot than the others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Part of the reason for bringing in Niskanen and Braun was to help mentor and provide leadership for the young dmen.  Williams could fill that role among the forwards, and perhaps overall.

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Maybe I misunderstand, but you don't think filling the leadership/veteran void, particularly on defense, is a sound rationale for trading for Niskanen/Braun?  Granted it shouldn't be the sole reason, but surely the team needed to address that deficiency among the d-men, no? 

Edited by vis

8 minutes ago, vis said:

This is true.  But my sense is that he's rarely mentioned when the team talks about guys who could vie for a roster spot.  Last year, it was Vorobyev.  And this year it seems like they talk about Frost, Farabee, Rubtsov and Vorobyev.  Granted, there haven't been many soundbites this year, so the sample is small, plus the comments came after prospect camp.  I don't know.  He may have a shot, but I think it's a longer shot than the others.

It will work itself out.

I hope they do what's best for the club and the prospects.

Whatever that is I'm on board with.

The cream will rise to the top.

Speaking of underwhelming sad how Steve Mason's career ended.

Hard to believe Steve is 3rd all time in games played by a goalie.

1st Hextall 489

2nd Parent 486

3rd Mason 231

4th Favell 215

5th Peeters 179

2nd all time in save percentage 918%

Man that is a representation of a terrible stretch of where the crease was a turnstile it seems.

Flyers haven't had a 50 goal scorer since 1997-98.

Flyers haven't had a 40 goal scorer since Jeff Carter's 46 in 2008-09.

Alex Oven-chicken has score 50 6 times since then.

Crazy. 

Haven't had a goalie win 40+ games since Pelle Lindbergh in 1984-85.

Closest since Hextall 37 in 1986-87.

Hope some of that changes in the future....

Edited by OccamsRazor
break these chains boys
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, King Knut said:

I don't find Patrick or Lindblom to be underperforming

I don't either, pretty sure you know that. Hence the ""s

I don't know if either of those guys will cost more than Koneckny though, and if things get tight, a trade can be made to make some room.

I hope those dudes progress and the team rules all eternal (been listening to some doom metal lately)