A Bit Underwhelmed (and Concerned)

Howie58

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Like being wingman to prime Eric Lindros. Hayes will be playing with....JVR.  

Lol....not exactly apples to apples

He would be between JVR and Jake, right? That could be a good thing. Plus the Flyers are a top faceoff team. I bet Hayes improves in that area

51 minutes ago, CoachX said:

He would be between JVR and Jake, right? That could be a good thing. Plus the Flyers are a top faceoff team. I bet Hayes improves in that area

If they can ever convince Jake to shoot the damn puck when the chance is there that line could be lethal.

As I said could. I hope they get the JVR that went on a tear from last February till the were eliminated if they do he could snag 40 goals this year.

All you need to know. He wasn't getting in a bidding war. Seems he wasn't worried about the price tag/asking price...just go get these guys.

Take what you will from it.

Going into the day knowing that you weren’t going to spend big money, did that feel differently than what you are used to on July 1st?

Well, it’s always the way on July 1. Believe me, I’ve been an active participant on July 1. We’ve had other years when we haven’t done much. This year, we were proactive. We identified the players we wanted to get and we went out and got them early. Again, we felt our priorities were adding a number two center, adding a couple quality defensemen and finding a goaltender to play with Carter Hart. When we went through the list of all those available players, we quickly realized there were very few centers and defensemen in the free agent marketplace. 

Rather than getting into a bidding war over very scarce commodities, in a market where there just weren’t a lot of players, we felt if we could get ahead of it and get the guys that we wanted, that would be a smart thing to do. Look, there was over $550 million dollars spent [leaguewide] on UFA contracts. Obviously, there’s many teams that significantly reduced the amount of cap space they have available to them this year and going forward. 

Just looking quickly at some of the cap numbers, there are several teams in the league that will be over the cap when they fill out their roster and re-sign their RFAs. It’s going to be an interesting summer. There’s a lot of teams with a lot of work to do. I like the position we’re in right now. We have some cap space left. We feel it will be enough to cover our RFAs. 

This part is for my gun carrying friend @Podein25

Our hope is to get into camp, we have a new coaching staff and a lot of new players, and let things sort themselves out in camp. From there, we always make adjustments. Right now, we’ll just focus on our RFAs. Don’t forget everybody, we have three RFAs this summer, but we have two RFAs next summer and two more the summer after that. Those are top young players that our staff has worked hard to draft and develop. They are high priorities for us. You have to be mindful of your future obligations when you go through a day like today.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Our hope is to get into camp, we have a new coaching staff and a lot of new players, and let things sort themselves out in camp.

Well, in this context, I can agree with the sentiment: you see who stands out at camp and you give them a chance. Fair enuff, that's part and parcel of "draft and develop." Which is different than just hoping. 

11 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Well, in this context, I can agree with the sentiment: you see who stands out at camp and you give them a chance. Fair enuff, that's part and parcel of "draft and develop." Which is different than just hoping. 

It's a longer wat of saying what I said.

It will sort itself out.

Much easier to type too.

You just like all that fancy talk...

...how else did you think I meant to sort itself out? Paper-rock-scissors?

Hey now that is think of it that's not a bad idea.

19 hours ago, CoachX said:

We're not seriously having this discussion, are we?

Did you even read my posts?

I have no recollection. 

Someone said something about Niskanen and Braun being leadership enough for the Lindblom / Patrick / ???? Line.  

I said why that did t make sense.  

Maybe you were were being sarcastic and I missed it?

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

You just like all that fancy talk...

It's true, I do. I have a very expensive education in higher level basket weaving, so I gotta put them big words to use, get some ROI on it.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe you Canucks prefer duck duck goose?

At this point you're just talking to yerself

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

Hayes isn’t LeClair or Lindros in any dialectic. 

He’s BrindA’Mour if Rod was brought into a team with a top tier 2LW and 2RW. 

Imagine if Clarke had Given Rod a 35g LW and an 80pt RW?  Jake and JVR will help give Hayes the tools he needs to turn a lot of heads. 

Or so it is hoped.  

Edited by King Knut
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Hayes isn’t LeClair or Lindros I’m any dialectic

Hence the "apples to apples" comment

You really dont read anything I post

And I never compared Hayes to Lindros

Edited by CoachX

15 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I have no recollection. 

Someone said something about Niskanen and Braun being leadership enough for the Lindblom / Patrick / ???? Line.  

I said why that did t make sense.  

Maybe you were were being sarcastic and I missed it?

I was pointing out the irony that Marleau or Williams as a mentor for Patrick is a good idea, but Braun/Niskanen as mentors for the young  Dmen is not

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

John LeClair floundered in Mtl, never scoring more than 20 goals. He got traded, scored 25, then 50+ for the next 3 seasons

Sometimes good players need the right circumstances 

Well, there is that thing where Leclair scored two overtime goals in the stanley cup finals to help the habs win the cup in 93. Thats not a bad way to flounder. Hayes on the other hand, is not exactly what anyone would call clutch in the playoffs. He did save a goal here though, just too bad its his own goal he stopped. Smooth hands there.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1119056241878282245

Edited by csummers

47 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Hence the "apples to apples" comment

You really dont read anything I post

And I never compared Hayes to Lindros

No, I just don’t remember who posts what. 

Also no, but someone compared him to LeClair.  

44 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I was pointing out the irony that Marleau or Williams as a mentor for Patrick is a good idea, but Braun/Niskanen as mentors for the young  Dmen is not

Irony’s a tough one to glean I guess. I didn’t get that at all. 

Why isn’t it a good idea?  They’ve had MacDonald.

43 minutes ago, csummers said:

Well, there is that thing where Leclair scored two overtime goals in the stanley cup finals to help the habs win the cup in 93. Thats not a bad way to flounder

If he had retired after those 2 goals , would he even been remembered?

His time in philly made him a superstar 

26 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Irony’s a tough one to glean I guess. I didn’t get that at all. 

Why isn’t it a good idea?  They’ve had MacDonald.

Its a very good idea. Ive argued this since ots happened. 

The point is, many on here choose to beat up on any move made based soley on contract and money, and they criticize the defense upgrades while arguing the same principle is smart for an offensive player past his prime

Damn im exhausted

12 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Damn im exhausted

Ha, just wait until November when the new players are stinking up Wells Fargo, Hayes is minus 28, Braun's Corsi numbers are single digit (I don't even know what this means, it might be a good thing for all I know),  Niskanen has killed a teammate in practice, and Hart is diagnosed with vertigo.

You'll wish you were only exhausted. 

35 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Ha, just wait until November when the new players are stinking up Wells Fargo, Hayes is minus 28, Braun's Corsi numbers are single digit (I don't even know what this means, it might be a good thing for all I know),  Niskanen has killed a teammate in practice, and Hart is diagnosed with vertigo.

You'll wish you were only exhausted. 

As long as no one is driving a Porsche

7 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Hayes has "all the tools "to be a "Ron Francis" type player. 

WADR - and I do mean that - I know "different era" and all, but at 27 Francis had accomplished ridiculously more than Hayes has.

If he has "all the tools" he hasn't built much with them.

I'll happily give the benefit of the doubt but there are expectations the team has put on the player. He needs to live up to them.

Again, not at all saying "won't" or "can't". Just "hasn't" yet. And comparing him to a guy who averaged more than double his ppg - in a different era - is still a reach for me...

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

He’s BrindA’Mour if Rod was brought into a team with a top tier 2LW and 2RW. 

And Brindy at 27 - again "different era" - had scored 30+ three times, had a 97 point season, and his low on the Flyers was 59 points.

Kevin Hayes isn't Ron Francis and he isn't Rod Brind'Amour on his BEST day.

He's Kevin Hayes.

He has the linemates to have a breakout season - assuming they give him JVR and Voracek - and he has to go out and be Kevin Hayes. Period.

The chips will fall where they may.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2

There really is nothing wrong with having Hayes as a 2C next season. He's a decent plug for that spot given the limited options we have (read: none).

There is something wrong with having an essentially unmovable Hayes for the next forever at too much money. The challenge is essentially a short vs long term one. It really isn't a knock on what we need for 2019-20 -- or at least it isn't for me.

I have a hard time with a GM who only plans one season ahead. Fletch seems to be that kind of GM. Homer was also that kind of GM. I do not like that kind of GM. I want a team that is planning in a way to make them competitive for a length of time, and having a new McDud-like contract on the books for another seven years seems detrimental to me.

That said, I do think it's possible Fletch is banking on getting an amnesty buyout at the next CBA. It's possible he sees that as his way of getting rid of Hayes, and so he might frankly not care about giving him all the stipulations and term. I guess that's forward thinking in a sense...?

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1