A Bit Underwhelmed (and Concerned)

Howie58

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I make that trade in a heartbeat, if there was the cap room... which there wasn't.

Right. Cap room is why I don't do it, too.

Not sure Polie lets the Flyers off with that deal, though. #Weber

I don't think it's apples to oranges, but maybe fuji to Granny Smith.

The apples/oranges has to do with the idea that Hayes could walk away and get paid elsewhere while KNX can't. Yet.

The Flyers have a hammer over Konecny that they didn't have over Hayes.

Where the Hayes deal comes into play is if TK continues to progress and has a 60-70 point season during this bridge deal as I'm sure he suspects he might.  

If/when that happens, KNX* will be looking for $8-9M based on the Hayes deal, yes.

* my license plate starts with KNX 🤗

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brelic said:

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/HockeyBuzz-Hotstove/Which-Metro-Division-team-has-had-the-worst-off-season-to-date/187/100512

Worst offseason for Metro teams - Columbus gets the nod while Philly gets an honourable mention.

I would say NJD and NYR both should be a good bit better, and Columbus is going to suck.

The rest I think are all about a wash. Losing Lehner in NYI is pretty bad. The Pens adding Galchenyuk is just annoying, cause now we're going to find out Galchenyuk is a 70pt guy after all. I haven't heard much out of Washington, though they didn't need much for improvements anyway. Carolina seems to be banking on their youth, which makes sense.

Edited by elmatus

File this in the underwhelmed column as well... 

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Quick-Hits-Stewart-ATO-NAK-Systems-and-More/45/100551

1) The Flyers have invited 31-year-old Chris Stewart to training camp on a pro tryout basis. The huge-framed power forward knows Chuck Fletcher from their time together in Minnesota, and is a very close friend of now-former Flyers winger Wayne Simmonds. Stewart spent last season in the UK, playing for the Nottingham Panthers. He was last an NHL regular in 2016-17 but did dress in 47 games for the Wild in 2017-18. Stewart faces an uphill climb to earn an NHL contract out of camp this September.

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Quick-Hits-Stewart-ATO-NAK-Systems-and-More/45/100551

1) The Flyers have invited 31-year-old Chris Stewart to training camp on a pro tryout basis. The huge-framed power forward knows Chuck Fletcher from their time together in Minnesota, and is a very close friend of now-former Flyers winger Wayne Simmonds. Stewart spent last season in the UK, playing for the Nottingham Panthers. He was last an NHL regular in 2016-17 but did dress in 47 games for the Wild in 2017-18. Stewart faces an uphill climb to earn an NHL contract out of camp this September.

It could very well be just like the Bill Guerin signing in 2010....he was cut loose before the season starts....treat it the same way and all will be fine....

Edited by OccamsRazor

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

You know what, I don't care that much that a GM with a history with a guy says I will give you a chance. It's extremely unlikely that he makes the team and gets a contract. He wants another chance at the show and he has good enough relationships with GMs that he can get an invite to vainly try and prolong a career. Good for him.

But he better damn well not be in the O&B come October!

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

8 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

You know what, I don't care that much that a GM with a history with a guy says I will give you a chance. It's extremely unlikely that he makes the team and gets a contract. He wants another chance at the show and he has good enough relationships with GMs that he can get an invite to vainly try and prolong a career. Good for him.

Spot on.

I doubt Stewart makes the Flyers as well.
I mean, if the Flyers' bottom six is in THAT bad a shape that Stewart is an easy "in", then the team really does have some serious problems.

There is a reason why Stewart was passed over by a bunch of NHL teams, so much so, that he ended up in freakin England....in Nottingham for chrissakes….playing against Robin Hood (I jest on Robin Hood..calm down, ppl)….playing in a British Hockey League where he put up 13 pts in 23 games, not even showing what he is know for (toughness) as his PIMs were very low (27), playing against second or third tier talent.

But yea, who knows....that is what PTO's are for. To see what a player has left.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I mean, if the Flyers' bottom six is in THAT bad a shape that Stewart is an easy "in", then the team really does have some serious problems.

Ya think?

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

here is a reason why Stewart was passed over by a bunch of NHL teams, so much so, that he ended up in freakin England....in Nottingham for chrissakes….playing against Robin Hood (I jest on Robin Hood..calm down, ppl)….

Lol. Yeah I knew guys that played in the the UK league - hell, even Theo Fleury played there at one point after his NHL career had cratered - and it's a loooong way from the NHL.

58 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Lol. Yeah I knew guys that played in the the UK league - hell, even Theo Fleury played there at one point after his NHL career had cratered - and it's a loooong way from the NHL.

Yeah, but the bangers and mash are to die for!!

Or is it that they will kill you?

I can never get that right.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Can he play RW?

Apparently we have a spot there

8 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Spot on.

I doubt Stewart makes the Flyers as well.

There is a reason why Stewart was passed over by a bunch of NHL teams, so much so, that he ended up in freakin England....in Nottingham for chrissakes….playing against Robin Hood (I jest on Robin Hood..calm down, ppl)….playing in a British Hockey League where he put up 13 pts in 23 games, not even showing what he is know for (toughness) as his PIMs were very low (27), playing against second or third tier talent.

But yea, who knows....that is what PTO's are for. To see what a player has left.

Maybe they are giving him a chance  as a spot duty , semi enforcer. Lets face it, we lost Simmonds and Gudas, we have no one to prevent other teams from hammering our guys.

As it stands Morin is our 7th or 8th dman, so unless a guy like Ghost is traded  to make room for Morin, on a nightly basis we will not be very tough. Maybe Stewart plays for the phantoms and when the Flyers have a tough opponent he gets called up. Its a given that teams will be taking runs at our guys, this is possibly the least tough team in Flyers history on terms of havimg a couple of decent sized guys who can fight when needed.

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

Maybe they are giving him a chance  as a spot duty , semi enforcer. Lets face it, we lost Simmonds and Gudas, we have no one to prevent other teams from hammering our guys.

As it stands Morin is our 7th or 8th dman, so unless a guy like Ghost is traded  to make room for Morin, on a nightly basis we will not be very tough. Maybe Stewart plays for the phantoms and when the Flyers have a tough opponent he gets called up. Its a given that teams will be taking runs at our guys, this is possibly the least tough team in Flyers history on terms of havimg a couple of decent sized guys who can fight when needed.

Hayes is 6'5" he can help protect guys. You know, when he's not scoring like a $7M player.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Hayes isn’t really known as a tough guy

Fair enough. It's just that he's not really known as a top scoring 2C either. So I figured he could do other jobs. As assigned. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Good Post 1

14 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Well, as some have said.... PTO, can't hurt, and it is a guy Chuck Fletcher is familiar with.

Perhaps Stewart, after seeing the NHL opportunities are fleeting, and after having to play across the Atlantic Ocean will be extra motivated to play and STAY in the NHL this time.
I mean, the guy isn't old, but last I saw him (for the Wild and then the Flames after that) his play was, shall we say...uninspired.

As for being this big enforcer, sure, yea, he can play that role, but at the same time, even if he makes the team on in that role, the Flyers, with the players you noted they have, ARE going to be targets of the more physical teams in the league. Just the way it is right now for Philly.

I get that you and many others are used to the Flyers doing the hunting, now they will be the hunted, as in targets for other teams to try and wear down physically on a nightly basis.
Thing is, teams don't really need that big enforcer anymore.....yes, nice if ya got it AND the guy you have doing it isn't a liability on the ice.
But teams can play a 'team toughness' game, where they may not be fighters or general tough guys, but they can still stick up for themselves and one another and just show they won't get pushed around...….especially if they can get a PP together that will make other teams' idiotic runs at their players costly for them

I believe players like Giroux, Konecny, Provorov, Hagg, maybe Hayes, and new addition Kurtis Gabriel can play a "team tough" game like I mentioned, without necessarily being goons.
And if Chris Stewart can fit into that type of role...…...hockey player first, cop second......and is properly motivated, he could be a good signing.

But that will be the question...how much heart Stewart has left to go through a training camp, pre season, and regular season grind at the highest level.

• Good Post 2

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, as some have said.... PTO, can't hurt, and it is a guy Chuck Fletcher is familiar with.

Exactly and if he makes the team then the Flyers have bigger issues on their hands.

Well unless God forbid he has a career awakening at 31. He makes the team and the Flyers young guys have shown they are not ready and it will sadden me.

So is Chuckles planning on stashing Chris Stewart like the Isles did with Seidenberg, was totally unaware of this till reading Bill's article.

Very interesting with the cap issues being tight against it when all the guys get signed. 

1) While I do not necessarily think this will be the case with the Flyers professional tryout (PTO) arrangement with Chris Stewart, the New York Islanders made a creative -- and Collective Bargaining Agreement compliant -- arrangement with veteran defenseman Dennis Seidenberg last season. I think that more teams could end up doing something along similar lines to the de facto one-man taxi squad the Isles had going.

The Islanders did not offer Seidenberg a new contract last summer after spending the previous two seasons with the club. After being unable to secure a contract elsewhere, Seidenberg accepted a PTO offer with the Islanders. 

During the season, Seidenberg remained with the Islanders on his PTO. He was not under contract, so there was no cap hit or roster spot taken. He practiced with the team, which meant he was totally versed in new coach Barry Trotz's systems and it kept him in game-ready shape just in case the veteran defenseman was needed to be formally added to the roster due to injuries in the lineup. That day didn't come. He never got into a game. However, on Feb. 24, the Islanders rewarded Seidenberg for being a good soldier throughout the process. They signed him to a deal that paid him a prorated $700,000. 

With so many NHL teams in cap trouble due to the unexpectedly low $81.5 million ceiling, it would not surprise me if more teams went the same in-season PTO route with players as a way of having an extra veteran player available without cap consequence or using a roster spot. While waivers may apply depending on if/when the player was signed, most PTO players are on the fringe by that point of their careers.

Hhhhhhhmmmm maybe this could be up his sleeve?? Or maybe not just an honest to goodness PTO.

Can Chuckles land this guy on a deal he is wanting to come over and hey look there he is a RW....

https://www.hockeyinsiders.net/articles/khl-star-forward-is-expected-to-sign-with-nhl-team/?fbclid=IwAR3zWNr4IatFRBybixM9tPz2YqpIzUtYzP-m6PEubfOpbzjSY4eK2NJfHDY

Three teams that have been named to likely be in the mix heavily are the Philadelphia Flyers, New York Rangers and Florida Panthers.

Would hate to see the Rangers land another good player.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/38657/anton-burdasov

Some pretty solid size (6-2 234!!!) and skates good it seems...

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Can Chuckles land this guy on a deal he is wanting to come over and hey look there he is a RW....

I really want Fletch to sign Provo and TK before strapping the team to more signings. Also, if the Rangers are in on him, I imagine it's a done deal already cause Rangers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

I really want Fletch to sign Provo and TK before strapping the team to more signings. Also, if the Rangers are in on him, I imagine it's a done deal already cause Rangers.

Yes all that is a given with the guys unsigned. There may be no room for him anyways.

And he could be friends with Panarin anyways so there may be no chance to begin with. 

And hey they have Chris Stewart anyways!!! The Cup is theirs!!!!!! :ph34r: