A Bit Underwhelmed (and Concerned)

Howie58

14 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Noted.

And Pats/Genos are for tourists. There are tons of better places. I personally love Donkey's in Camden. Or John's Roast Pork for... Roast pork.

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

15 hours ago, King Knut said:

(Coots, Patrick, VLC, Laughton and Lehtera, technically even Weal maybe)

VLC was long gone by then (unless you spelled Valtteri Filppula wrong lol).

No one else agreed, but I really liked Coots' vision when he was carrying the puck out of his own end. 

Just for the record, I was another early adopter of the "Couturier doesn't suck" platform.

Drafting Patrick and deciding not to send him back to juniors made moving G back to LW make a bit more sense for them.  

I'm still going to disagree about keeping Patrick up that first year. Asking a kid coming off a 33-game Junior season to play 2C in the NHL for 82 games was asking for trouble...

Filppula was a 2C option. He'd scored 25 once, and had 50+ points a couple of times, was defensively responsible and could play the penalty kill.

He just didn't have a $7M contract... 👺

53 minutes ago, radoran said:

VLC was long gone by then (unless you spelled Valtteri Filppula wrong lol).

Just for the record, I was another early adopter of the "Couturier doesn't suck" platform.

I'm still going to disagree about keeping Patrick up that first year. Asking a kid coming off a 33-game Junior season to play 2C in the NHL for 82 games was asking for trouble...

Filppula was a 2C option. He'd scored 25 once, and had 50+ points a couple of times, was defensively responsible and could play the penalty kill.

He just didn't have a $7M contract... 👺

Real quickly, then ill respond more later , you know what’s REALLY funny.  I did actually misspell Filppula as VLC.  No joke.  I totally got them mixed up as the same slowed down shell of their former great player.  You are 100% correct!  Ha ha. That’s really funny to me. 

It felt lonely on the Coots Train for a few years there didn’t it?

in hindsight, I’m definitely more on the fence regarding sending Patrick back to juniors than I was at the time.  Frankly for me, it’s way more about his usage.  

I feel like if you’re going to bring a kid like that up, his rookie campaign should be about getting his confidence and his skill game up as much as possible.  The Flyers have historically disagreed and really focused on forcing those kids to become responsible 2-way players and hence we have a tendency to think of our top picks as busts. 

But it I think if you bother bringing them up, don’t mess with their heads by forcing them away from the skills that got them drafted so high. 

I’m middle-old-school so I look at the career arcs of guys like Yzerman and Sakic as kind of my ideal for a center.  They came up, the team’s sucked, they scored a bunch, they got confident in their games and roles as leaders, they got better both ways and became great leaders winingors of cups each.  Win/win 

Edited by King Knut
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

And Pats/Genos are for tourists. There are tons of better places. I personally love Donkey's in Camden. Or John's Roast Pork for... Roast pork.

dude is is coming from Canada...that's a tourist.

Let  him come around a couple of times before requiring he goes "next level".

I'll put it another way, so he goes back home and this conversation happens 

Buddy: "Dude did you get a cheesesteak from Pat's or Geno's" ?

Pods: "no, I went to Dallesandro's, my internet friends say tourist steaks suck".

Buddy : *

Pods: "yeah, Pat's is for tourists".

Buddy: "oh"

Edited by mojo1917
added imaginary conversation
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Let  him come around a couple of times to get "next level".

ha ha, this really cracked me up. 

I know it's not 20 years ago or anything, but for goodness sakes, don't send the Canadian Tourist to Camden unless it's just to see the sharks and hippos.  

19 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Prov? Whiz? Help a brother out, all I got is Google

Provolone is my go-to.  Actually, I was forced to eat an American w/o last night at the Eagles pre-season game.  Not my preference, but when duty calls...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, radoran said:

I don't disagree. But I might say "could" have been. I'm not yet convinced this team is as good as we/they think it is.

That top 9 should be enough to get them into the POs.  Thought the same thing last season, but the goalie carousel, questionable coaching and general lack of player "effort/assertiveness" in certain circumstances undid them.  Hopefully all that is now rectified, though the effort/assertiveness is still a question.

Edited by vis

4 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I personally love Donkey's in Camden. Or John's Roast Pork for... Roast pork.

Donkey's is great (even though they only do American cheese).  Totally different approach.  Sometimes our work lunch group heads over during the week.  End up smelling like a steak for days afterwards.  My wife always comments when I come home: "Donkey's Day?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, vis said:

Thought the same thing last season, but the goalie carousel, questionable coaching and general lack of player "effort/assertiveness" in certain circumstances undid them.  Hopefully all that is now rectified, thought the effort/assertiveness is still a question.

This is my concern. It's been five seven years of "we're definitely a playoff team" and not much to show for it.

I want to see some edge to their game and some spring in their step.

They've gone from zero NHL head coaches to three NHL head coaches. No more excuses.

• Like 4

@AJgoal @vis

There are a couple of "locals places" in Harrisburg, that after you hit the fun places on the 2nd street you would want to go for lunch.

It has been a while since I've been to either but the first is the Jackson House. It's a guys house, they open at 11 and close the line at 1:45, very good Philly style steaks and hoagies, krinkle cut fries, coke.  It's great and like the tourist places in Philly is quite an experience.

The other is the Camp Curtain Barbeque, it has closed the guy retired and couldn't sell it. It was an old fire house in a tough section of town. This guy was up at 3 starting the smoker, he'd tell you what was looking the best, somedays it was the brisket, some days that "wasn't worth a damn- I wouldn't let you guys eat that- go with the pork." He would put his barbeque on everything, Mac and Cheese, he made these things called "hearty fries" which was meat and sauce, whiz if you wanted over french fries...It smelled great, my wife would give me the business if I came home smelling like the smoker and didn't have a quart of whatever was good that day.

food...i love it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

This is my concern. It's been five seven years of "we're definitely a playoff team" and not much to show for it.

I want to see some edge to their game and some spring in their step.

They've gone from zero NHL head coaches to three NHL head coaches. No more excuses.

Yep.  It's the biggest question mark.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

he made these things called "hearty fries" which was meat and sauce, whiz if you wanted over french fries...

This sounds amazing.  Sadly, I'm at a point where I can't enjoy the good stuff like this as often.  Metabolism isn't near what it used to be and only slowing down more.  Couple that with decreasing (to almost no-existent) exercise, and I just can't eat like I used to.  Pretty much cut fries out altogether.

Edited by vis
  • Sad 1

I go to Pat's and Geno's just about every time I make it back to Philly for a game mostly because I usually don't have a lot of time to run around the city to find some of the other places.  I've gone to Tony Luke's a couple times.  The last time it was not good. Not sure why, but they put American cheese on my cheesesteak.  

Maybe next trip I'll plan an extra hour into my trip and do some exploring.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Let  him come around a couple of times before requiring he goes "next level".

I'll put it another way, so he goes back home and this conversation happens 

Buddy: "Dude did you get a cheesesteak from Pat's or Geno's" ?

Pods: "no, I went to Dallesandro's, my internet friends say tourist steaks suck".

Buddy : *

Pods: "yeah, Pat's is for tourists".

Buddy: "oh"

@Podein25 isn't a tourist, he's family.

The weird one you sit at the kid's table at Christmas, but still Family.

• Haha 2
  • Good Post 1

On 7/27/2019 at 2:45 PM, intheslot said:

Three teams received a flat out "F" from Boomer, they were the Philadelphia Flyers, the Anaheim Ducks and the Minnesota Wild. One team however received the lowest possible grade of them all, an F-, and that was perhaps unsurprisingly the Edmonton Oilers. That is to say Chuck Fletcher of the Flyers, Bob Murray of the Anaheim Ducks and Paul Fenton of the Wild all received an F, while Ken Holland of the Oilers received an F-. The loudest and most vociferous complaining however has come from the Oilers fan base, and likely for good reason.

I'd be interested in hearing the reasoning here.   I don't get to listen to Boomer anymore but liked his show.  It's my understanding from reading an article on the Edmonton grade that he was including basically from last summer, though the regular season, to this free agency season.   If that's the case, you really have to consider how much not getting a 3C, serious help on D, and the goalie disaster weighed that grade down. 

The deadline deals for Talbot and the Simmonds trade certainly couldn't have brought that average up.  I think the draft was good and the trades/signing leading up to FA were decent, but again, those deals aren't enough to compensate for the complete negligence that was last offseason (I don't want to invite that discussion, so I'm not entirely blaming Hextall because I don't know what circumstances were and what was tried, but the undeniable fact is that he did NOT get any of that done).

But I wish I could find a clip of when he was explaining the grade.

• Like 1