A Bit Underwhelmed (and Concerned)

Howie58

19 minutes ago, vis said:

Capfriendly has the Flyers with almost $15m in cap space.  Still need to sign Provorov, Konecny and probably Laughton.  I think Provorov is going to get close to $7m/6 years, Konecny gets a $4m/2 year bridge and Laughton gets $2m/2 years.  That leaves them with $2m in cap space.  Assuming those signings happen, the roster shapes up likely shapes up like this:

Giroux/Couturier/Konecny

JVR/Hayes/Voracek
Lindblom/Patrick/???

Raffl/Laughton/Pitlick
Andreoff

Provorov/Niskanen

Sanheim/Braun

Ghost/Myers

Hagg

Morin

For shits and giggles, below are some of the UFA forwards still out there (not sure any of them are within the Flyers' range, unless they deal a d-man):

- Justin Williams

- Patrick Marleau

- Pat Maroon

- Jason Pominville

- Marcus Johannson

- Michael Ferland

Man Williams or Marleau would be amazing in that 3RW slot.  They're both like the best big brothers in the league.  

Maroon would be a good choice if they can afford him.  Pominville is nothing to shake a stick at either, though I think I'd take Ferland over either Jason or Marcus Johhansson.

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Man Williams or Marleau would be amazing in that 3RW slot.  They're both like the best big brothers in the league.  

Maroon would be a good choice if they can afford him.  Pominville is nothing to shake a stick at either, though I think I'd take Ferland over either Jason or Marcus Johhansson.

Pretty much agree with that hierchary.  I want them to have another leader among the forwards.  Williams is perfect for that role and has connections to the area.  

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

My question on him though is if he doesn't make the team, will he play for the Phantoms or go back to college.  At his age... not an easy call IMHO.

I think he's now ineligible for college. It's Flyers or Phantoms for him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, King Knut said:

They're talking like Farabee is going to get a legit look, but he's REALLY going to have to impress to make the Flyers. 

Yes and i think NAK has to bomb for that to happen.

Farabee and Frost need time to play big minutes in the AHL in all situations but by mid season you could see them get a shot if ol Chuckles think they deserve it one thing he has shown to do is he isn't afraid to call someone up and reward them.

I think that sens a positive message to the kids and makes them want to put their nose to the grindstone when they know they truly have a chance.

Unlike Hextall when it seemed they had to be the LAST option before they got a chance and then sometimes they still didn't play.

I think it gets sorted out in camp/preseason.

4 hours ago, vis said:

@LegionOfDoom

Generally agree about Team Comcast and their “bias for action.”   I think, to some degree, they backed the team into a corner, at least as it relates to the Hayes signing.  But, I am not sure that explains Fletcher’s apparent penchant for leaving a little something on the table with each move he makes.  I just think that may be his style.  It also doesn’t explain the Schlemko move.  Has anyone figured out a rationale for that move?

Overall, the team has improved on paper.  That cannot be disputed.  Hayes is a legit 2C and fits well with Vigneult.  Niskanen and Braun bring some much needed leadership and stability to the defense, which should yield benefits to the young dmen as well.  I’d prefer to add a veteran at 3RW (Justin Williams), but won’t cry if they don’t.  Plus, he added a legit NHL coaching staff, though I am not enamored with Therrien in the least.  Pretty solid job. Now, I just want to see what he does with Provorov and TK.  Provorov’s market will be set by Werenski and McAvoy, so Fletch may not have a lot of room to work there.  I’m real curious to see what happens with TK.  I still think that’s going to be the most difficult negotiation.  

No explanation for the Schlemko move other than the fact that Weise was incredibly unpopular with fans.  

No cap space was gained, he could have bought out Weise for the same amount this year. 

Gordon wasn't really playing Weise or Lehtera anymore and he certainly wasn't using them in key situations, thus blocking the development of younger guys like Lindblom (who i think we saw blossom a little bit defensively as a result).  

I can only imagine it was to make it look like he was "doing" something and jettisoning an unpopular player (though apparently Weise was well liked on the team).

5 minutes ago, vis said:

AHL fodder, probably.  I think time has passed him by, unless he comes to camp blazing (see below).  And by that time, the Flyers may have already signed another UFA for 3RW, making any shot that any young guy might have had moot

I don't think that can be said yet with only 9 games on the 4th line when the season was sealed, not a good judgement tool especially playing with Laughton and Raffl...i will wait to see him get his chance before making a call. He finished +1 in the last 5 games and Laughton and Raffl finished -4 and -3.

For cap reasons alone he gets a shot as one of the forwards he is only 23. So yeah his time is now or never.......here.

He brings a physical/sandpaper presence that has been lost by losing Simmer and Gudas and is very sounds away from the puck he is a AV type of forward he loves his 200 foot guys who will go in the corner and come out with the puck and he will block shots. 

I'm rooting for the kid. Then if he just isn't showing he can help they go sign someone.

They have to conserve some cap money for the bonuses too after the season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Unlike Hextall when it seemed they had to be the LAST option before they got a chance and then sometimes they still didn't play.

I could see saying that about Hakstol who actually didn't play them, but Hextall put Provo, TK and Patty all on the team as teenagers and they all never looked back.

He gave Vrobyev multiple chances that didn't work out.  He tried NAK, but he clearly wasn't ready yet.  He put Sanheim and Morin and Hagg all on the team, but Hakstol refused to play Morin or Sanheim, so he sent them back so they'd get ice time.

He did send Frost back to juniors, but that did not seem like an absurd assessment out of camp last year.  There were also rumors that he kept Weal in the minor leagues for "Political reasons"- according to Former phantoms assistant Riley Cote, but does anyone think Weal deserved more of a shot with the Flyers at this point?

The worst I feel it's safe to say about Hextall the the kids is that he didn't step in when Hakstol refused to play them.  He gave them all legit shots though.  This is part of what makes Hextall's devotion to Hakstol seem all the more puzzling to me.  It's not like they were on the same page all the time.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'd take Ferland

I'm a bit surprised he isn't signed yet. I like him. I like his story. 

It's kinda weird. He's listed as 6'1" 185 on Eliteprospects. He looks and plays a helluva lot bigger than that. 

He was making $1.75M. What's his worth in this market? $2.3M??

Could we just sign him at that? 

He tried NAK, but he clearly wasn't ready yet. 

He never tried NAK that was Chuckles once they had pretty much been eliminated and the whole team didn't show up to play.

He and Morin got a chance to get their feet wet. Morin finally a chance to skate in a game or two since his injury.

Just now, Podein25 said:

It's kinda weird. He's listed as 6'1" 185 on Eliteprospects. He looks and plays a helluva lot bigger than that. 

I just think most teams are in a position like the Flyers, waiting to sign their RFA's (or waiting to try to steal someone else's) before they commit.  

The problem with a Ferland is that he's still pretty young and could be looking for term.  At this point his best bet is to wait until the RFA dust settles to see who decides they need him the most. 

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

He never tried NAK that was Chuckles once they had pretty much been eliminated and the whole team didn't show up to play.

He and Morin got a chance to get their feet wet. Morin finally a chance to skate in a game or two since his injury.

The guy put up 39 points in 110 games with the Phantoms.  I can understand why no one was chomping at the bit to get him NHL games when they still counted.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Well since i'm tight with him he wants a longer term than he is being offered.

Nah just kidding from what i had read and no not Eklund. So he eventually will get sign but more likely not what he is looking for.

14 minutes ago, brelic said:

I think he's now ineligible for college. It's Flyers or Phantoms for him.

Oh, he signed the Entry level?  Okay then cool.  He'll be a phantom unless something terrible happens, but he will get a strong look.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I just think most teams are in a position like the Flyers, waiting to sign their RFA's (or waiting to try to steal someone else's) before they commit.  

The problem with a Ferland is that he's still pretty young and could be looking for term.  At this point his best bet is to wait until the RFA dust settles to see who decides they need him the most. 

Yeah, this is his moment for a big payday coming off of back to back 40 point seasons. 

• Like 1

The guy put up 39 points in 110 games with the Phantoms.

Sure and all his goals 18 2017-18 lead the AHL and 16 last year 5 on 5. He doesn't get PP time only 5 on 5 and PK.

Those guys are invaluable in the bottom six....why would you not try him at a cost of only 800K??? 

Oh that right you want to make threads when he is gone and does something somewhere else....got it.

And he could be just a career AHLer another good use of a 2nd rounder that people bitch about trading aaway...SMFH.

18 minutes ago, King Knut said:

The problem with a Ferland is that he's still pretty young and could be looking for term.

Yeah we were talking the other day over coffee and he told me he was looking for term...wanted to settle down raise a family.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure and all his goals 18 2017-18 lead the AHL and 16 last year 5 on 5. He doesn't get PP time only 5 on 5 and PK.

Those guys are invaluable in the bottom six....why would you not try him at a cost of only 800K??? 

Oh that right you want to make threads when he is gone and does something somewhere else....got it.

And he could be just a career AHLer another good use of a 2nd rounder that people bitch about trading aaway...SMFH.

Why would you not try him now or why would you not try him last year?  

Now I think you do give him a try, I just see him being outplayed by Frost, but if they move someone else like Raffl up to the 3rd line, then maybe they'd sooner stick with NAK and give Frost AHL time to work on his more rounded game.  

Last year I think they just saw parts of his game they wanted him to work on and there were guys they just wanted to see first.  Obviously they brought him up, so their intention was always to see him at the NHL level at some point.  Fletcher moving multiple roster spots didn't hurt anything either as far as making that happen.

I think you're right, he's very much going to get his look this year and I think he's likely going to start the year as the 13th fwd, depending on what happens and if they sign anyone for the 3RW.  If they they don't sign anyone, I think there's a 50/50 shot he's on the 4th line and someone else is the 13th man... though I may have kept Vecchione, Bailey or Goulbourne for that kind of role... but I guess Fletcher thinks it's put up or shut up time for the likes of Rubstov, Vryobyev, Strome... you know... why the hell didn't Fletcher resign those other guys?  

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah we were talking the other day over coffee and he told me he was looking for term...wanted to settle down raise a family.

It's really beautiful how these guys open up to you.  Really says a lot about the kind of guy you are.