Pat Maroon

CoachX

Lots of good info to sift through. There is still one thing that nags me, and it just seems obvious.

If none of these players (Farabee, Frost, Ratcliffe, Rubstov) have the tolls to play in the NHL, why even bring them to camp? Fact is, the Flyers think they do, and are willing to dyay open to it. 

So, I still say bring up the guy with the higher ceiling. I want to see something to be excited over. Not just another guy who might develop into a pretty good role player

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

So, I still say bring up the guy with the higher ceiling. I want to see something to be excited over. Not just another guy who might develop into a pretty good role player

I think you are confusing "ceiling" with something else. Frost's ceiling, for example, is through the roof. The question is: can he play at the NHL level (which is actually a question that mostly involves things that have nothing to do with his ceiling - physicality, mental toughness, maturity etc). 

Bu then again, you probably confuse sheep with other ungulates

7 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I think you are confusing "ceiling" with something else. Frost's ceiling, for example, is through the roof. The question is: can he play at the NHL level (which is actually a question that mostly involves things that have nothing to do with his ceiling - physicality, mental toughness, maturity etc). 

Bu then again, you probably confuse sheep with other ungulates

If you disagree, fine!

But leave my girlfriends out of this

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, King Knut said:

I agree that fundamentally, Hextall lost his job because he wouldn't fire Hakstol.  That was the big offense.  I think especially after Quennville became available and Hextall wasn't interested, I think the pressure was on.  

Interesting comment.  If true, then Dipstick Fletcher would have or should have been fired, also.  Quennville was available and Fletcher didn't even talk to him.

I was under the impression that Hextall was fired more for the fact that he didn't want to trade the kids for the "win now" culture.

5 hours ago, CoachX said:

If none of these players (Farabee, Frost, Ratcliffe, Rubstov) have the tolls to play in the NHL, why even bring them to camp? Fact is, the Flyers think they do, and are willing to dyay open to it. 

Because they want to give them a taste of the competition they will face and give them the chance to show they belong.

Just like every other draft pick in training camp in the history of organized sport.

12 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Interesting comment.  If true, then Dipstick Fletcher would have or should have been fired, also.  Quennville was available and Fletcher didn't even talk to him.

I was under the impression that Hextall was fired more for the fact that he didn't want to trade the kids for the "win now" culture.

Not sure Q cared whether Hextall called or not.  Seems his destination was set before they even fired him.  That doesn’t mean Scott knew or understood that. 

And  you’re right, the willingness to trade kids to win now was implied to be the reason.  But then 9 months or so have passed and they’ve traded no kids... so I’m Guessing it wasn’t as high a priority. As Homer implied.  

Part of this os that the press was too ***** footed to come straight out and ask harder questions.  I’m sure Homer wouldn’t have answered them, but Scott’s a newb and night have let some stuff slip.  

Long story short: to my eyes Homer wanted to be anywhere on earth but that press conference and Scott looked as at home as he ever does.  Something went down. 

30 minutes ago, King Knut said:

And  you’re right, the willingness to trade kids to win now was implied to be the reason.  But then 9 months or so have passed and they’ve traded no kids... so I’m Guessing it wasn’t as high a priority. As Homer implied.  

Friedman mentioned a couple of times that once Fletcher was hired, Holmgren/Scott were pushing for "stuff" to happen, and Fletcher pushed back and managed to get them to calm down on it. 

I think the fact that no kids have been moved in the offseason is an indicator that Fletcher liked what he saw of them. It's the one positive I've taken out of Fletcher's tenure so far. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I think he did a pretty good job upgrading the defense

I agree. Could he done things differently? 

Sure.

But he said he targeted those guys and went after his guys.

This will be debated till they are gone and then some.

Sounds like it's best man wins for that open winger spot if you hear Chuckles talk. Which hey I'm good with that.

So to hear Bill Meltzer comment (take what you will from it).

But Farabee being able to slide sound like they plan on getting four years out of his entry level contract...

Bill, obviously this is an extremely premature question, but given everything you have seen and heard, IF one of the 3 of Farabee/Frost/Ratcliffe do make the opening night roster, which one would your money be on?
- sjk540

Frost, as long as he plays with pace. 

With Farabee slide-rule eligible this season in the AHL and Flahr stopping just short of saying he thinks Farabee still needs to mature physically a bit more, I think there a strong chance that he either spends the full season in the AHL or at least all but a maximum 9-game stint with the Flyers (which would not burn an ELC year).

I think they see Ratcliffe as someone who needs a bit of AHL work on details (better using his feet on the walls, as one example) before they think about moving him up.

Of course, training camp could change that order if someone really stands out. The plan could change.

On 7/8/2019 at 11:30 AM, OccamsRazor said:

No Phantoms didn't make the playoffs.

Ya confused Frost playing in Lehigh, with his game against the Islanders he played in the NHL pre-season, which they commented he looked a little lost or his decision making was delayed, something to that effect last year.

But that was the reasoning behind my comment.

Edited by LegionOfDoom
clarity.
  • Like 1