Pat Maroon

CoachX

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The other option would be to let one of your kids play 4c, move Laughton to the left, where he's arguably better, slide Raffl to the right and waive Pitlicker (or, he's 13)

Fine by me. I was just going from the POV that Laughton would go to allow cap space to bring Maroon. 

Of course 2.7 mil might be enough

10 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Fine by me. I was just going from the POV that Laughton would go to allow cap space to bring Maroon. 

Oh yeah.  Just agreeing there's ways to make room for Maroon if they chose that route. 

I doubt they do and don't actually support the move, but it's possible. 

EDIT:  I'm not against Maroon and get theory, but i don't spend to the cap and make it so i have no roster flexibility when faced with non-IR injury.  It may force an unwanted move later where we're not getting value back. 

Edited by ruxpin

Good points.

But we are in a tough division and we need a guy who can neutralize that. If Morin is up, he can do that. But I dont want one of my Dmen to be the only option.

We've gotten physically pounded over the last few seasons. Thats needs to end. And lets not forget the emotion at the rink when a Flyer team is physical.

To OR's position on NAK, i suppose he is willing, but from the videos Ive watched, that part of his game falls short of effective. He wont cause Tom Wilson or Wayne Simmonds to take pause

Edited by CoachX

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

So, what's the plan if Patrick proves he wasn't just playing too high in the lineup? What happens if he proves he's playing in too high a league? 

So I am guessing if that happens then he gets demoted to the 4th and Laughton gets his spot on the 3rd.

Maybe then like Coots in 2011-12 on the 4th can find his game.

And if not then he can always be sent down.

Worse case scenario.

I think Patrick will be fine. Too many people are pushing the panic button

Lets wait until we see who is on his wing before we set up traffic control on the Walt Whitman

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Assuming Laughton was let go in some manner, l choose Frost or Rubstov to be 4c. Put him between Raffl and Potluck and let him get his feet wet

Seems to me both players have higher reported upside then NAK. 

I don't like them on the 4th in that role.

Those guys need to be playing big minutes on the Phantoms.

Sign Laughton and let NAK take the spot on the 3rd.

Sounds like the best option to me.

NAK and Lindblom had some good chemistry with the Phamtoms maybe with Patrick it can be rekindled.

Maroon has for awhile been labeled lazy and now that he has won a Cup I would expect him to resume to resting on his laurels...so it's hard pass for him.

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I guess you ignored the post about the 2.95 mill in bonus payments that will have to be paid out.

Or didn't see or just forgot.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I guess you ignored the post about the 2.95 mill in bonus payments that will have to be paid out.

Or didn't see or just forgot.

I chose to ignore it because I have no counter argument 

..... except, 👻 wont be traded

Edited by CoachX

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

I chose to ignore it because I have no counter argument 

..... except, 👻 wont be traded

Well good answer.

And I agree Ghost isn't going anywhere.

I hope he returns to his 60+ point ways.

22 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So I am guessing if that happens then he gets demoted to the 4th and Laughton gets his spot on the 3rd.

Worse case scenario.

Reading a column earlier about the potential line up....as expected the 3rw is open. It was suggested that Laughton could take it and Farabee or Frost could move to 4c.

Moving Laughton there would not be effective. Id still be okay with moving him out for cap space to sign Maroon

19 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Reading a column earlier about the potential line up....as expected the 3rw is open. It was suggested that Laughton could take it and Farabee or Frost could move to 4c.

Moving Laughton there would not be effective. Id still be okay with moving him out for cap space to sign Maroon

Not bashing the guy but Laughton just lacks the scoring or even play making Lindblom and Patrick need.

With Farabee superior ability to think and help defensively I can see him getting a chance on the 3rd if he shows he is ready a look in preseason.

Farabee - Patrick - Lindblom

Raffl Laughton - Pitlick

This would be a line I can see getting a shot.

Regardless I am sure AV will weigh his options.

Farabee will give them a chance to try him on the PK he was very good in college with that.

Or they could hold off on that and just let him focus on the 5 on 5 play and go from there.

They might want to keep Frost at center in the A to adjust to the pro game.

At this point it is merely a guess.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not bashing the guy but Laughton just lacks the scoring or even play making Lindblom and Patrick need.

With Farabee superior ability to think and help defensively I can see him getting a chance on the 3rd if he shows he is ready a look in preseason.

Farabee - Patrick - Lindblom

Raffl Laughton - Pitlick

This would be a line I can see getting a shot.

Regardless I am sure AV will weigh his options.

Farabee will give them a chance to try him on the PK he was very good in college with that.

Or they could hold off on that and just let him focus on the 5 on 5 play and go from there.

They might want to keep Frost at center in the A to adjust to the pro game.

At this point it is merely a guess.

To me, Laughton is only a 4th line guy. Thats the best we can get from him, and thats ok. That 3rw needs to be a guy who can pit some pucks on net

24 minutes ago, CoachX said:

To me, Laughton is only a 4th line guy. Thats the best we can get from him, and thats ok. That 3rw needs to be a guy who can pit some pucks on net

And the best sniper they have is Farabee.

Will he show he is worth a chance?

Hell they could just put names in a hat and draw for all I know....

Laughton outscored Patrick last year. Obviously, that's close to his ceiling vs. Patrick's floor, but with those numbers (12g, 20a, 32 pts), he can move easily to the 3rd line when needed.

He's 25 and just coming into his prime. I see him as a Raffl-type with more offensive upside - a versatile utility player. 

His ideal spot is probably 4th, but for his versatility, I'd keep him around. Seems like a good kid that just works hard and things are finally starting to click for him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

Laughton outscored Patrick last year. Obviously, that's close to his ceiling vs. Patrick's floor, but with those numbers (12g, 20a, 32 pts), he can move easily to the 3rd line when needed.

He's 25 and just coming into his prime. I see him as a Raffl-type with more offensive upside - a versatile utility player. 

His ideal spot is probably 4th, but for his versatility, I'd keep him around. Seems like a good kid that just works hard and things are finally starting to click for him.

Yeah, I don't know why so many hate on Laughts so much. He has so much more potential than a 4C in my opinion. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah, I don't know why so many hate on Laughts so much. He has so much more potential than a 4C in my opinion. 

It's about his draft position. If he was drafted 3rd round everyone would be in his corner.  It's not dissimilar from hating on a guy because his contract doesn't match the production. 

You know, don't get me wrong. There are some decent players in the 2012 draft but kind of a weak draft class. Lots of fizzle.   And when I'm looking at the next 10-15, no one really jumps out as, "oooh, we should have taken HIM instead." 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It's about his draft position. If he was drafted 3rd round everyone would be in his corner.  It's not dissimilar from hating on a guy because his contract doesn't match the production. 

...kind of a weak draft class. Lots of fizzle.   And when I'm looking at the next 10-15, no one really jumps out as, "oooh, we should have taken HIM instead." 

Yeah I know.

And yeah: relatively weak class. 

3 hours ago, brelic said:

Just what this team needs, more Raffl types

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Just what this team needs, more Raffl types

About the same production the Blues got from Bozak and Sundqvist every team needs those types....the ones that do the dirty work and don't get all the glory.

Role players have a place on the team they don't win it all without the small stuff too.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Role players have a place on every team. But a team overstocked with role players have no place in the SC finals

Sure but the Flyers are not overstocked with role players.

If they are overstocked on anything it's guys who always want to pass instead of putting the puck on net.

That I will concede.

But Raffl - Laughton - Pitlick on the 4th in their respective roles seem fine to me.

But the proof is in the pudding...

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stupid phone

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure but the Flyers are not overstocked with role players.

If they are overstocked on anything it's guys who always want to pass instead of putting the puck on net.

That I will concede.

But Raffl - Laughton - Pitlick on the 4th in their respective roles seem fine to me.

But the proof is in the pudding...

You're right. Thats seems to be a solid 4th line. Its when you start overvaluing a guy like Laughton and make him a 3rw because you cant find a better option 

On 7/4/2019 at 11:55 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Worse case scenario.

Well ya, that makes sense. The 20 year old who has scored 30 points in two straight seasons straight out of junior is going to be replaced by the 25 year old who scored 30 points once in five seasons. You should call Fletcher, he needs to know.