I would venture to put up these lines:

Giroux/Couturier/Jake

JVR/Hayes(5on5good)/NAK(5on5good)

Lindblom/Patrick/Konecny

Raffl/Rubstov(Vorobyev)/Laughton

Pick a Dilly

Strong 1st line

Interesting puck possession 2nd line.

Strong young/fun possible exciting 3rd line.

Defensively sound, scoring 4th line.

This would allow to develop young players with solid vets and learn the ropes and not be overwhelmed.

I do like Jake on the second line with JVR and Hayes for sure. But I've been burning to see the LPK line for some time now, and they would have fun out there on the ice.

Of course the ho hum lines would be:

Giroux/Coots/Konecny

JVR/Hayes/Jake

Lindblom/Patrick/NAK

Raffl/Laughton/Pitlick

I'd prefer to bring up NAK and develop him at the next level. Rubstov could use half a season more in the AHL to develop more. Vorobyev maybe called up again before Rubstov and have another shot again to learn the game pace better.

7 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I'd prefer to bring up NAK and develop him at the next level. 

Maybe he should develop at his current level first

I think there are better options

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

And there are better options but they need to speed time you know...developing...

...um....in the development league...but you know that.

I won't report you this time...have a good day...carry on.

:beer:

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And there are better options but they need to speed time you know...developing...

...um....in the development league...but you know that.

I won't report you this time...have a good day...carry on.

:beer:

I knew that comment would elicit an appropriate response.

I stand by it. Id like to see one of these higher profile players

And if the player is going to be developing at the nhl level anyway, why waste the time. Its the same logic used to bring up Hart

Edited by CoachX

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Id like to see one of these higher profile players

WHy would you not want the kids to spend time in the AHL why rush them??

Sure if it's a no brainer they blow it up in the preseason but Farabee is only 19.

Rubtsov had an amazing start to last year but lost most of it due to injury and still needs to work on his game.

Laberge same thing battled injury all last year and needs to work on his game. Ratcliffe needs to work on his skating.

Frost needs to work on his game and acclimate himself to the pro game.

Twarynski, Bunnaman, Strome and Sushko still have aspects of their overall game to work on.

And that leaves us Vorobyev who still might need some time too but has been mostly a center the whole time in the AHL so not sure how switching him to a winger helps.

So which leaves your favorite guy the one who and spent his time in the AHL.

2017-18 72 games 18 goals 28 assist 46 points +24 lead his team and AHL in 5 on 5 goals

2018-19 54 games 16 goals 14 assists 30 points -2 lead his team and AHL lead in 5 on 5 goals.

Sure none of those stats are earth shattering i know but when you consider he got no powerplay time and helped on the PK that to me is a kid who can help this team and maybe just maybe be able to keep the puck out the net for the Flyers.

Flyers need their role players and guys who can shut other teams lines down. Can he??? Will he?? Not sure let's play him!

And then again he may not and then he can ride off into the sunset like Varone and Bailey and WGAF about them anymore but hey let's find out....i mean as i have said a few times (and i promist this is my last) the Flyers have invested a 2nd round pick on the kid it would be ashame to spend this time developing him and then not give him the time in the bottom 6 to show he can help.

And who know maybe he at least makes Pitlick expendable. That to me would be a win.

The other kids will get their chance but let's let them dominate in the AHL on the top lines first and top power play units.

Then take the next step. Chuckles said he is done making moves so no matter what i think this is the kids chance.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Its the same logic used to bring up Hart

Sorry but to include this in the last comment.

And Hart was given the time to develop in the AHL i think you forget and struggled at first adjusting but with the level of competition down there he was allowed to work on his game and right some things and got better and turned it around just in time for a call up.

And hey it paid dividends...Farabee and Frost should get the same treatment.

Hart didn't come and play till most of december was over so sure let the kids go down and blow the doors off.

If Rubtsov goes down and lights the AHL on fire like he did last year (14 games 6 goals and 4 assists 10 points +3) before getting injured he will be a Flyers real soon.

The cream will rise to the top.

As i said any of this guys come into camp and preseason and blow us all away i am game for giving them a look to start the season they all can be sent down if they are ready without worrying about being lost to waivers...except NAK he is subject to waivers.

No matter what i think he is kept as the 12th or even 13th forward for depth reasons.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And then again he may not and then he can ride off into the sunset like Varone and Bailey and WGAF about them anymore but hey let's find out....i mean as i have said a few times (and i promist this is my last) the Flyers have invested a 2nd round pick on the kid it would be ashame to spend this time developing him and then not give him the time in the bottom 6 to show he can help.

And who know maybe he at least makes Pitlick expendable. That to me would be a win.

The way I see it is that the organization - from development coaches to special coaches to trainers to nutritionists to scouts to the NHL coaches and GM - see a LOT of these kids in different situations and contexts.

They are not blind to player development. If NAK doesn't ever really get a shot, it's not because they don't see it. It's because it's just not there in their estimation.

29 minutes ago, brelic said:

The way I see it is that the organization - from development coaches to special coaches to trainers to nutritionists to scouts to the NHL coaches and GM - see a LOT of these kids in different situations and contexts.

They are not blind to player development. If NAK doesn't ever really get a shot, it's not because they don't see it. It's because it's just not there in their estimation.

No worries he will get his shot this year there is a spot up for grabs and now is his chance....seize it or the door may close here.

And Chuckles has stated it's up for grabs...all i need to know...it will sort itself out...he is the type of forward AV likes. :PopcornSmiley2:

Well the good news is Farabee's entry level contract will slide and not count till next year.

Edit: That is of course if he doesn't play 10 games this year....so that may be a factor too....

Edited by OccamsRazor

14 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Which would make it a fair fight with your current fake president.

Fake President,  he won the election fair and square.Your not one of those buffoons that believes in Russian collusion. Putting up a bunch of fake IDs on Anti social media sites does not sway an election and if you are dumb enough to be swayed by a social media site,  then you should move outta your parents basement . A real example of election fraud was Sam Giancana rigging Illinois and West Virginia to give JFK the nomination.Trump is certainly 100 times better than the soyboy up in Canada who’s ruining your country and much better than the euro cowards who are ruining their countries.   

Guys, let's keep this on hockey, please. We already have an off-topic area which died off due to people's inability to discuss politics reasonably. Let's not drag it here, ok?

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

A little touchy today about your clown president.

That is an insult to clowns everywhere.........who might actually be Trump himself...

Edited by JR Ewing

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

And Hart was given the time to develop in the AHL i think you forget and struggled at first adjusting but with the level of competition down there he was allowed to work on his game and right some things and got better and turned it around just in time for a call up.

And hey it paid dividends...Farabee and Frost should get the same treatment.

Hart didn't come and play till most of december was over so sure let the kids go down and blow the doors off

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hextall loae his job because he was holding back players too long, specifically Hart?

This is not an argumentative statement, but how exactly does playing at a higher level retard your development?

7 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hextall lose his job because he was holding back players too long, specifically Hart?

No.

Hart had only been in the AHL a month or so when he lost his job.

The main reason he lost his job is he wouldn't fire Hakstol.

He went down with the ship. I think if he fires Hak when told too he would still be the Flyers GM.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

I knew that comment would elicit an appropriate response.

I stand by it. Id like to see one of these higher profile players

And if the player is going to be developing at the nhl level anyway, why waste the time. Its the same logic used to bring up Hart

Hart really seemed to benefit from his time in the AHL, limited as it was.  He really didn't start out like a ball of fire.  There were some calling him a bust actually.  

Very few people thought putting Hart in the NHL right away was a good idea and just about as many thought bringing him up when they did was the best thing for his development.  

It really didn't seem like something Fletcher was eager to do himself, but they literally had no choice by that point.  Everyone was hurt or had proven atrocious AND was hurt.  

I'm a big proponent of putting guys in the NHL earlier than most would want.  Especially skill oriented forwards.  Goalies D-men tend to be a little different and I usually support them getting time in the AHL.  

The problem with the Flyers tends to be that when they bring up skilled forwards (and this wasn't just with Hakstol, it' goes back years and years) is that they don't bring them up to just be skilled forwards.  They bring up guys because they're so far beyond the skill level of the AHL competition, and then tell them, "now set aside your skill for a moment and learn a responsible two-way game."  

In my mind, this goes back to guys like Williams and Fedotenko and even Gagne before them (though Gagne was just good enough to do both).  Giroux came into the league and it took him a few years to figure it out.  It took Coots 5 years or so.  It's taking Patrick 2+.  Konecny is proving a bit of a challenge and as of last year is getting closer.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No.

Hart had only been in the AHL a month or so when he lost his job.

The main reason he lost his job is he wouldn't fire Hakstol.

He went down with the ship. I think if he fires Hak when told too he would still be the Flyers GM.

You're absolutely right about the first part.  Hart didn't even do that well when the AHL season began.  Some (idiots mostly) were calling him a bust early on because he was adjusting his game (aka developing).  

I agree that fundamentally, Hextall lost his job because he wouldn't fire Hakstol.  That was the big offense.  I think especially after Quennville became available and Hextall wasn't interested, I think the pressure was on.  

And some of us knew Hakstol was the problem and had known for a while, so to us, the refusal to fire him was indeed a dismissable offense.  What Gordon was able to do with a few slight adjustments (because remember, Gordon and Hart came up around the same time and the team didn't get better right away regardless of Hart) certainly solidifies the Hakstol debate. 

So if Hextall HAD chosen to fire Hak, then he likely wouldn't have been dismissed himself because the team would have done better.  And in essence, if He had fired Hak during the summer or the year before, the team would likely have been much better.   

BUT (and this is the main reason I'm critical of Hextall's firing) that wasn't why Homer and Scott fired him.  If it had been, they might have had a replacement for Hextall in mind.... but they had no clue.  If it had been the reason, then they would have fired Hakstol at the same time and brought up Gordon to interim coach the team while they found a GM.  

The reason they fired Hextall was personal and it was most likely because Hextall mouthed off to Dave Scott.  Homer's an ass and a hard nosed, humorless SOB but he's a hockey guy and he coached Hextall as a player and he hand picked Hextall partially based on Ron's success in LA, but more likely because of their personal relationship.  In other words, Homer wasn't firing Hexy because Hexy called him a name or yelled at him in the hallway.  

Scott's a corporate guy, not a hockey one.  I remain convinced that he's the one Hextall offended by putting him in his place.

Long story short, Hakstol's the reason Hextall SHOULD have been fired and had Ron fired Hakstol, I'm pretty sure he WOULD NOT have been fired... but I still don't think it's the reason he WAS fired.  

At the end of the day, I remain convinced that if Homer had a one on one meeting with Ron and told him, "Ron, you gotta fire the coach or I gotta fire you" then Hextall would have fired Hak.  He'd already fired Berube and it crushed him because they were friends and known each other so long.  He wanted to be loyal to Hak, but there's no way he would have jeopardized all he'd been working for just at the turning point.  

It wasn't about Hak.  It should have been, but ultimately, it wasn't about Hak.  

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

Maybe he should develop at his current level first

Develop at his current level = Done. Check, he has, he is at the point where he needs to develop now in the NHL. He could stay another year in the AHL, but he should be called upon now to fill in 3RW, this is his time to shine and he's next man standing.If he has problems after at least two months in the league, then you can put him on the bench and let him practice with the team and bring him back on the ice for a few weeks. If that doesn't work, then you can chance it and send him down. That, is showing you tried and developed your player at the minimum. They need a 3RW and he checks all the boxes for now. We don't have another Pitlick.

Everyone else is still green, I'd rather not put them through the NHL yet and let them DEVELOP. There is no need to rush their development in the NHL at this time, there is not a depleted roster, where we have to call up players to ice a squad now. I know some are short sighted and wanting to see the shiniest toy up front, now, right away. I could say I would have an inclination to want to see that as well, but the wise side of this, is to allow, your assets to mature and yield better dividends, than a quick buck right now.

"I think there are better options." - what exactly "is" a better option? And is that option really better for that player/team? Would that "options" be "better", if that "option" spent more time developing, to truly make it a "better option" when they finally get called up?

I prefer the "better option" to spend time developing to really be a better option when it's their time to play for the team, instead of another stunted player, playing for us.

41 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hextall loae his job because he was holding back players too long, specifically Hart?

This is not an argumentative statement, but how exactly does playing at a higher level retard your development?

Playing at a higher level will not give you the time to adjust and experiment on things that you thought worked but end up not working, not because necessarily the idea doesn't work, but the time and space in the execution is flawed. Time and spacing in the minors is different in the AHL, just go ask Frost to see how he struggled with things in the AHL. Had he tried straight to the NHL, he could of been labeled a bust by some in the Social Distortion Media. He is smart enough to figure out what worked in the minors(not everything, but somethings) can work in the AHL, if he works on his timing and distancing. From their he can take it up a notch to make his game work in the NHL.

Minors to NHL = Too steep of a learning curve to work on your game.

Minors to AHL = Enough push back to see if your bag of tricks will work with some adjustments, or it's just not feasible.

AHL to NHL = Take what you learned, and now learn how and when to apply it at full speed, in real world(NHL level) situations.

• Good Post 1

6 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

They need a 3RW and he checks all the boxes for now

Well said. All of it. But this is my point.

Nothing else needs to be said.

Go from there.

10 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

just go ask Frost to see how he struggled with things in the AHL.

Frost hasn't played in the AHL yet.

But you can ask the others.

It's not an easy adjustment for some.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stupid phone

7 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Didn't he play at the end of his season(minors) for a few games last year in the AHL?

I remember the coaching staff bringing him up during their discussions in Lehigh.

No Phantoms didn't make the playoffs.