Devils could offer sheet Marner or Laine

hf101

There are some rumors out there that Shero is seriously considering sending an offer sheet to either the Jets or Leafs in pursuit of Laine or Marner.  Which may seem very likely as they may try to go all in this year.  Apparently Shero has been given the ok to go for it.

Marner makes the most sense to me, but Laine may be the target considering Hall may walk after this season.  Either way though Shero has really strengthened this team in the off season and I think if any GM is going to make a statement on offer sheets it will be Shero.

4 minutes ago, hf101 said:

There are some rumors out there that Shero is seriously considering sending an offer sheet to either the Jets or Leafs in pursuit of Laine or Marner.  Which may seem very likely as they may try to go all in this year.  Apparently Shero has been given the ok to go for it.

Marner makes the most sense to me, but Laine may be the target considering Hall may walk after this season.  Either way though Shero has really strengthened this team in the off season and I think if any GM is going to make a statement on offer sheets it will be Shero.

I've become convinced that none of these offer sheets are legitimate attempts to get a player. 

I mean, it remains to be seen what Shero actually offers, but the Canadiens Aho offer was so pathetic it seemed like a bald-faced attempt of collusion to get him to sign with his current team for less than he's worth. 

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I've become convinced that none of these offer sheets are legitimate attempts to get a player. 

I mean, it remains to be seen what Shero actually offers, but the Canadiens Aho offer was so pathetic it seemed like a bald-faced attempt of collusion to get him to sign with his current team for less than he's worth. 

But then Shero is a completely different animal imo.  Especially when he wants to make a statement.

• Like 1

Jets fans (some at least): bring it on! We'll take the picks!

I go back and forth on Laine.

OTOH: how do you trade the best shot in hockey? Like ever! Can't do it. He can score at any moment, from anywhere and change the game. Offensive zone faceoffs become bona fide scoring chances. Like good ones. High danger.

OTOH: when Laine is bad (which is to say, whenever he's not scoring, which is like half the time really), he is the worst hockey player to ever play the game of ice hockey!

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Jets fans (some at least): bring it on! We'll take the picks!

I go back and forth on Laine.

OTOH: how do you trade the best shot in hockey? Like ever! Can't do it. He can score at any moment, from anywhere and change the game. Offensive zone faceoffs become bona fide scoring chances. Like good ones. High danger.

OTOH: when Laine is bad (which is to say, whenever he's not scoring, which is like half the time really), he is the worst hockey player to ever play the game of ice hockey!

You obviously haven't seen Anthony Bitetto play...

• Haha 1

Assuming Shero is serious about actually prying away one (or both of those players), he sure has lots of cap space to work with.
That said, he also has a bunch of players either at RFA status as well, or players who will need new deals either next year or the year after that.

So Shero will have to choose carefully. Basically, I'd think if he were to offer sheet a player like Marner or Laine, he'd be ok with letting two or three of his own RFA's walk or let their deals expire the following year.

TB's Brayden Point is still there to be "offer sheeted" as well, but like @ruxpin said, this all does really look like ploys to up the price on the team holding the original RFA rights.

Not sure who said it or where I heard it from, but my understanding is GMs have a "gentleman's agreement" to NOT offer sheet high end players? I could be wrong.
At any rate, business is business, and Ray Shero didn't build the Penguins into a powerhouse by being goody two shoes... ;)

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26