Laughton Extended -- 2 yrs @ 2.3 million per season

pilldoc

Laughton's Deal?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Laughton's Deal.......

• Yay (thumbs up)
    • Nay (thumbs down)

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/07/12/flyers-re-sign-scott-laughton-for-two-years/

Philadelphia Flyers general manager Chuck Fletcher continued his busy offseason on Friday by re-signing one of his remaining restricted free agents.

The team announced that it has re-signed forward Scott Laughton to a two-year contract that will pay him $2.3 million per season.

The contract runs through the end of the 2020-21 season, at which point Laughton will be eligible for unrestricted free agency.

He had filed for salary arbitration and was scheduled to have a hearing on July 30th. This signing allows both sides to avoid that.

Laughton, a first-round draft pick by the Flyers in 2012, has appeared in 272 games for the Flyers over the past six seasons, scoring 31 goals and 79 total points. The 2018-19 season was his best in the NHL to date, finishing with 12 goals and 32 points. While the raw box-score numbers were an improvement, his underlying numbers, including a dismal 44 percent Corsi mark, were nothing special and among the worst on the team. He figures to play on the team’s third-line this upcoming season.

With Laughton’s deal complete, forward Travis Konecny and defender Ivan Provorov are the team’s remaining unsigned restricted free agents.

They still have more than $12 million in salary cap space remaining.

I'm fine with the contact Laughton got. People were ok with the contact Raffl got and he brings less to the table than Laughton does. I like the Tasmanian Devil on skates. He plays his role well, you can play him on any line and doesn't look out of place, he's very coachable and he does everything that's asked of him. I'm glad he got the contact he got. 

32 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm fine with the contact Laughton got. People were ok with the contact Raffl got and he brings less to the table than Laughton does. I like the Tasmanian Devil on skates. He plays his role well, you can play him on any line and doesn't look out of place, he's very coachable and he does everything that's asked of him. I'm glad he got the contact he got. 

Tasmanian devil?

I guess i was watching the wrong player 

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

People were ok with the contact Raffl got and he brings less to the table than Laughton does.

I don't know about that. I think both players bring about the same amount to the table. They're both decent players to have in our bottom six. This contract is fine. It's just long enough that it shouldn't be a burden down the line if our kiddos start coming into their own over the next couple years. Works for me.

• Like 1

I thought for what he brings he would get slightly more than Raffl did so i have him around 1.8 mill per on a 2 year deal.

There are certainly some better deals out there and there are some worse ones. Hey at least he is signed now get Ivan and TK done.

Another bit of an overpayment.  I think Laughton is an OK player, but that’s not the kind of cap hit I want on my 4th line.  And I’m not sure he’s talented enough to deserve the 3RW position full time.  He does things this team needs, but not sure at a level that merits that salary.

Has Fletcher made any moves where he didn’t at least slightly overpay?  Honestly, don’t think I have said “good value” for any of his moves.

How much is left to sign Provorov and Konecny?   Really worried Columbus is going to give Werenski a ridiculous contract.  

Edited by vis
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I thought for what he brings he would get slightly more than Raffl did so i have him around 1.8 mill per on a 2 year deal.

That’s what I was think would be ideal.  Thought $2.1m max.  This is another slight overpayment.  Seems to me the org was at $1.8 and the player at $2.8 and split the difference.  

Slight overpayment, so not a big deal.  But the pattern continues...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vis said:

Another bit of an overpayment.  I think Laughton is an OK player, but that’s not the kind of cap hit I want on my 4th line.  And I’m not sure he’s talented enough to deserve the 3RW position full time.  He does things this team needs, but not sure at a level that merits that salary.

Has Fletcher made any moves where he didn’t at least slightly overpay?  Honestly, don’t think I have said “good value” for any of his moves.

How much is left to sign Provorov and Konecny?   Really worried Columbus is going to give Werenski a ridiculous contract.  

Ya...this guy is right out of the Homer School of Capology....where at the end of the day teams with good gms are playing with one or two star players more than you are at the same hit. He slightly overpays everyone, which doesn't seem like much per contract but ends up totalling millions and millions. 

I like Laughton and he had a decent year last season. Glad he's still there. But I'd prefer to see Provorov and Konecny taken care of first. Capspace is becoming an issue (shocker)

So does Fletcher even negotiate? He'd be the laughing stock at a Latin American market.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

He slightly overpays everyone, which doesn't seem like much per contract but ends up totalling millions and millions. 

And his trades, too.  Always slightly overpays.  It’s death by a thousand paper cuts.  

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I guess they can change the old saying from "a dime a dozen" to "$2.3 million a dozen".  I think it's a little high for what Laughton brings to the table.  I vote for Meh.

It's not a big deal, but this was kind of my reaction to it.     Probably $500 - $600k too much.  I'm not a Raffl guy, but someone is going to need to explain to me why Laughton gets signed for almost 50% more. 

11 hours ago, CoachX said:

Tasmanian devil?

I guess i was watching the wrong player 

I'm with you. I don't get that AT ALL. 

I mean he's decent. But he's Raffl 5 years younger. I don't get the "he's better ran Raffl" statement, and I certainly don't understand the Tasmanian Devil thing. Never in a million years would I have associated him with that on my own. 

It's like comparing Bob Ross and Robin Williams. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

But I'd prefer to see Provorov and Konecny taken care of first. 

Well one issue is Ivan has Gandler one of the greediest in the business...so he will more than likely be the last to sign. He is telling Ivan to wait and see what McAvoy and Werenski get before settling.

He will be a thorn in the side.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

telling Ivan to wait and see what McAvoy and Werenski

Shouldn't their agents be saying pretty much the same thing?  How does anyone ever get signed off they're waiting on each other?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Shouldn't their agents be saying pretty much the same thing?  How does anyone ever get signed off they're waiting on each other?

Yeah exactly who blinks first is what I think is the issue.

And how much do they think they really are worth on their 1st contract after the entry level.

Seems this could drag out all off season.

16 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It's not a big deal, but this was kind of my reaction to it.     Probably $500 - $600k too much.  I'm not a Raffl guy, but someone is going to need to explain to me why Laughton gets signed for almost 50% more. 

ONE overpayment is not a big deal. Neither is throwing in a pick once. A couple times...don't like it, but whatever. But when you consistently do it, there's your problem.

8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

ONE overpayment is not a big deal. Neither is throwing in a pick once. A couple times...don't like it, but whatever. But when you consistently do it, there's your problem.

Yes. Death by a thousand cuts. 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Haha 1

It seems Laughton got fair market value, per Meltzer. Very similar production to Laughton, same age. 

Laughton received a salary bump that is in the same generic ballpark as what players such as LA's Alex Iafallo (two years, $2.46 milion AAV) and Montreal's Joel Armia (two years, $2.65 million) received in their recently agreed-upon deals.

I will just add hockey is a sport played by people. They are not "just"assets on a spreadsheet. 

Yes, I understand there is a finite amount of money to spend.

However, if our team is the one trying to squeeze every last cent out of player contracts - word will get around. 

If people think free agents don't want to "come here" now- keep pissing players off over 300k...

It is a business of relationships as well as dollars.

What is a player that feels valued worth?

Think of your last job interview where the company lowballed your salary,  were they your first choice?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I will just add hockey is a sport played by people. They are not "just"assets on a spreadsheet. 

Agreed. The pro sports culture in general seems to objectify players. The advanced analytics movement isn’t helping either. 

• Like 2

I'll put this another way.

We know his role is bottom 6 grinder/ penalty killer. 

Those players in particular are expected to layout to block shots, play a hard physical game and score when the opportunity presents itself.

Does paying that guy 300k over "comparable players" prevent him from making a "business decision" at a key point in a key game ?

People love to rip on Ricky Watters' "for who, for what?" statement . Sad truth is there is the wisdom of self preservation in those words.

I'd rather over pay Scott Laughton by .5 million so he feels like the crest on the front will take care of the name on the back than make sure the organization is getting the "best deal".  He's not an OLED TV  or String Trimmer.

Edited by mojo1917

55 minutes ago, brelic said:

I like Laughton. Good for him.

Two signings left and one move on defense (Morin or Hagg). 

Don't be shocked if there is no move.

They have to play overseas to start the season so I could see them rolling with 13 forwards and 8 defenseman.

They've done it before.

So Hagg and Morin could stick around so depending on what Chuckles has in mind.

They could take a forward over there who will be inactive just in case something goes wrong.

But point being is there are options.

No different than having 14 forwards and 7 D men. Logistic may vary.