Laine or Marner?

CoachX

6 hours ago, CoachX said:

Its called a discussion.

I'm all up for discussion...Hell I'll debate all day Gen. Lee's command decisions at  the Battle of Gettysburg. I'll debate who the Flyers should draft and why,  and I'll debate how to make great BBQ........

I explained to you, my position on how both Laine and Marner simply cannot fit into the Flyers plans .........

I have yet to see, from you, a counter argument on how it could work out. The assets  involved and the Cap Space simply make it impossible for the Flyers to obtain either player.  You countered on trading Provorov, but you never explained how you replace a 1st pairing D-man?  you never explained how to make it work, Capwise , for either team.

I explained on how salary would have to move and yet you did not explain on how either the Leafs or Flyers could make this work.

Realistically there is no way of acquiring either player without giving significant prospects or breaking apart this core.  I personally don't want to go down that road for one player. This is not your NHL 2020 video game. 

And yes @ruxpin is right ... its the dead of summer with nothing else to do ....reminds me years ago when there was a thread between the Pens fans and Flyers fans on who had the bigger pricks on their team .......

I'm bowing out of this one .......

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

I'll debate how to make great BBQ........

In Georgia or Kansas? 

Beef or pork? And what's the proper temperature for the beer? 

And what 5 albums are you listening to? It cannot be a live or compilation album. 

And is your sister on top or on bottom? 

And what is the airspeed velocity of an African swallow encumbered by a coconut? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Then you create a hole at defense ...that is a Homer move....  Who do you plan on plugging in at D?

Who is saying they have the money to sign Marner?  The Leafs?? Ha.....  They only have 3.7 million in cap space.....  They have to move salary...period.... if they want to keep Marner.   Marner had a breakout year last year...he will get somewhere around 7-8 million per years at least...from someone but it won't be from the Flyers......

As one of my daughters favorite Disney characters sings ..... Let it go ......

They have about 5.4 mill more of Horton's money once they IR him.

So they have around 9 mill to spend.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I trade Ghost and keep Sanheim. 

Sanheim is way more valuable to me. 

I like Laine and would love if he were a Flyer but if any of this were possible and cost were equal, I think I would prefer Marner. 

And you thought Jake was lazy...you haven't seen anything till you have seen Laine...Flyer fans would hate him...at least Jake will fake like he is trying...Laine just wants to get the game over so he can play some more Fortnite!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And you thought Jake was lazy...you haven't seen anything till you have seen Laine...Flyer fans would hate him...at least Jake will fake like he is trying...Laine just wants to get the game over so he can play some more Fortnite!

Yeah. That's pretty much why I go Marner in this wild hypothetical. 

But if it's not Marner vs Laine AND we have enough other players playing a full-rink game, I'm okay with a lazy-ass scorer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah. That's pretty much why I go Marner in this wild hypothetical. 

But if it's not Marner vs Laine AND we have enough other players playing a full-rink game, I'm okay with a lazy-ass scorer. 

I would trade them Jake for Marner.

37 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

In Georgia or Kansas?

Kansas City style all the way for ribs

Texas style for Brisket

Carolina style for pork shoulder

I'm currently looking at buying a Traeger style pellet smoker .....IF i can convince my wife! ;)

Ironwood_885_Hero.png

And what 5 albums are you listening to?

Ha!  A little bit of everything from Def Leppard to Bryan Adams to Matt West / MercyMe and Third Day

And what is the airspeed velocity of an African swallow encumbered by a coconut? 

Image result for velocity equation

:smileyandcomputer:

Edited by pilldoc
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I'm all up for discussion...Hell I'll debate all day Gen. Lee's command decisions at  the Battle of Gettysburg. I'll debate who the Flyers should draft and why,  and I'll debate how to make great BBQ........

I explained to you, my position on how both Laine and Marner simply cannot fit into the Flyers plans .........

I have yet to see, from you, a counter argument on how it could work out. The assets  involved and the Cap Space simply make it impossible for the Flyers to obtain either player.  You countered on trading Provorov, but you never explained how you replace a 1st pairing D-man?  you never explained how to make it work, Capwise , for either team.

I explained on how salary would have to move and yet you did not explain on how either the Leafs or Flyers could make this work.

Realistically there is no way of acquiring either player without giving significant prospects or breaking apart this core.  I personally don't want to go down that road for one player. This is not your NHL 2020 video game. 

And yes @ruxpin is right ... its the dead of summer with nothing else to do ....reminds me years ago when there was a thread between the Pens fans and Flyers fans on who had the bigger pricks on their team .......

I'm bowing out of this one .......

I started this discussion because unlike some here, i accept that I do not know everything. I like to engage members of this forum for their knowledge and insight. So my question was intended to see if there was a TRADE that could be made for either player, and what would you give up.

Disclaimer: im not an NHL GM (shocker, I know)

I answered your question. I would move a 1st pair Dman if the return was worth it. So, is Marner better at what he does, then Provorov is? And does the team need that, more?

Seems to me the Flyers are D heavy, but young. I personally think Marner would be a better asset. So Provy and something for him is a deal I make. Then you open a spot at D that can be filled by one of the young guys who is NHL ready. Seems to me our D fits NHL ready more than any of the wingers in the farm

What I read is the Leafs freed up cap to get Marner signed. Not really my problem. But if true, then they have cash to ink Provy. The flyers have to make room so they could sign Marner and have room for Konecny Dont know exactly how, but I dont see it as a hard fix. Again, Im not a GM. 

I am glad the farm is stocked with "Potential". But personally, Id move unproven potential,  for a young, guaranteed star

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I started this discussion because unlike some here, i accept that I do not know everything. I like to engage members of this forum for their knowledge and insight. So my question was intended to see if there was a TRADE that could be made for either player, and what would you give up.

I answered your question. I would move a 1st pair Dman if the return was worth it. So, is Marner better at what he does, then Provorov is? And does the team need that, more?

Seems to me the Flyers are D heavy, but young. I personally think Marner would be a better asset. So Provy and something for him is a deal I make. Then you open a spot at D that can be filled by one of the young guys who is NHL ready. Seems to me our D fits NHL ready more than any of the wingers in the farm

What I read is the Leafs freed up cap to get Marner signed. Not really my problem. But if true, then they have cash to ink Provy. The flyers have to make room so they could sign Marner and have room for Konecny Dont know exactly how, but I dont see it as a hard fix. Again, Im not a GM. 

I am glad the farm is stocked with "Potential". But personally, Id move unproven potential,  for a young, guaranteed star

very well thought out post.....however I still disagree about moving Provorov.  It is a known fact that D-men take longer to develop then forwards.  I'm not moving a 1st pairing d-man right now for Marner.  Removing Provorov from the Flyers actually makes them weaker on defense.  In this case you stand pat and move Ghost if anybody.

On 7/15/2019 at 12:42 PM, CoachX said:

Both these guys are unsigned? Could the Flyers make a trade them and who would they have to give up to get one?

No way I move Ghost or Provy, but is Sanheim valuable enough?

They'll be signed.  Let's just worry about Provo and TK instead.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Trust me, the kind of money Marner is talking about would be what Provo and TK are going to get combined.  It's not worth it and Toronto isn't going to do it.  It was an interesting thought experiment a few weeks ago before leaks of what Marner wanted came out and before Toronto resigned Kapanen and Johnson for 2/3 of their market value.  

Marner and Laine are done deals.  

34 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

very well thought out post.....however I still disagree about moving Provorov.  It is a known fact that D-men take longer to develop then forwards.  I'm not moving a 1st pairing d-man right now for Marner.  Removing Provorov from the Flyers actually makes them weaker on defense.  In this case you stand pat and move Ghost if anybody.

When you suggest moving 👻, do you mean him and parts to get Marner?

Is that enough to get it done? 

If Marner gets an offer sheet and the Leafs dont match, the draft package theu get could bring them some good pieces. But i think they have positioned themselves to go for it now. So if they lose a key offensive piece, but add a solid dman and a good offensive player,  that might be more valuable to them immediately 

On 7/15/2019 at 12:42 PM, CoachX said:

Both these guys are unsigned? Could the Flyers make a trade them and who would they have to give up to get one?

No way I move Ghost or Provy, but is Sanheim valuable enough?

Sanheim is a better defenseman than Ghost and probably this season Sanheim will blow past Ghost as an overall defenseman. Sanheims offensive skills are equal to  or better than Ghost and he is better defensively and bigger. I’d give up Ghost for either  of Laine or Marner. We don’t have a dynamic skilled winger equal to either of them,

• Like 2

Whoever had the idea of getting Boeser that would be great, he looks like he is the real deal. He sms to be pretty consistent. I would offer Ghost and something else if they can’t get him signed. Although Konecny could end up being as good as Boeser, so we can’t be paying over 20 million for our right wings,

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ruxpin said:

In Georgia or Kansas? 

Beef or pork? And what's the proper temperature for the beer? 

And what 5 albums are you listening to? It cannot be a live or compilation album. 

And is your sister on top or on bottom? 

Would you lick puss out of a festering wound for a quarter million?

3 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Would you lick puss out of a festering wound for a quarter million?

Please stop calling my wife a festering wound.  That's MY pet name for her.  No one else is supposed to call her that.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Please stop calling my wife a festering wound.  That's MY pet name for her.  No one else is supposed to call her that.

At least I know the answer to my question now...would take MUCH more than a quarter mill to entice wife licking...his and her blindfolds for a half mill?

So folks want this guy???

Who knew fornite could be this devastating to the youth....i is a issue with the kids that live around me for sure why not NHL players??

Edited by OccamsRazor

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So folks want this guy???

Who knew fornite could be this devastating to the youth....i is a issue with the kids that live around me for sure why not NHL players??

I've never seen that before, but one of Mrs P's most common comments when he was sucking was "Fortnite!"

The thing about the buying TVs in hotels is INSANE. I remember the Vancouver thing too. It's a prolem with the young guys for sure. 

Edited by Podein25

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

It's a problem with the young guys for sure. 

It is....athletes in all the major sports....even in everyday lives like my job.

I work with these two kids at work and when they get together all they jabber about is games this and gaming that...it is annoying as hell....and don't get me wrong i was and am still a gamer too....just at 47 and with an 8 year old daughter well i have more priorities.

And i have no problem with athletes who love to do it but when it interferes with you sleep and it affects your job...which is play the game that i love well that pisses me off.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stupid phone
  • Like 1