Interview with Yeo

brelic

Really good piece by Meltzer interviewing Yeo on the PK, defense, and general philosophy for the upcoming season.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/system-analysis-yeo-on-defense-and-pk/c-308284658

"For me it was a no-brainer to come to the Flyers. As long as I can remember in my life, I've idolized the brand of hockey they've played over the years. It's an organization with a lot of pride, and one of the best traditions around the league. The fit here felt comfortable right away. I like the mix on the roster: the depth, the young group that has a chance to be very good, the vets who are coming in to add stability. I'm excited to join the coaching staff that Chuck Fletcher and Alain Vigneault have put together. It was a very easy decision to come here and be part of it," Yeo said.

40 minutes ago, brelic said:

Really good piece by Meltzer interviewing Yeo on the PK, defense, and general philosophy for the upcoming season.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/system-analysis-yeo-on-defense-and-pk/c-308284658

With Lappy [Ian Laperriere], after five minutes, you feel like you've been friends with him for 25 years. So I'm really excited to work with all these guys.

This right here is 9/10th of why Lappy has been around for so long.

• Like 3

"To me, the PK is very much about a philosophy of pride and commitment. Your goaltender is the single most important component of a good PK. That's never going to change. But you've also got to have personnel in front that takes pride in blocking shots, working in synch and taking away time and space. Make it tough to enter your zone; generate some up-ice pressure. In your zone, don't be reckless but pressure the puck because the players in this league today are too skilled to give them time to make plays even if, structurally, your guys are in the right spots. 

"As I said, shot blocking is a big part of it. When you get the puck with a chance to clear, you've really gotta bear down and do it. Do those things, and you'll be successful. It isn't magic. It's a lot of hard work. When you defend, it's harder work. Killing too many penalties, even if you don't get scored on, can wear your team down and it takes your non-PK guys out of the game. So these are all things that are very important. It's really not just about a [PK success percentage] stat," Yeo said.

If he can help improve this consistently that i can see 7-8 more wins in the win column for next year if not more.

And as he said Hart and Elliott will be the key piece...Hart mostly.

The new additions will help Hayes, Niskanen and Braun can help ease the burden on Couturier and Provorov the main two.

Compared with last year's ice time Niskanen would have been 2nd on the team. 

Braun 5th and Hayes 8th so that will free up others to concentrate on other aspects of their game.

But the key is the coaches to put the players in the right mindset to execute.

Hopefully Yeo can help Ivan get to the next level one thing i saw him struggle with a lot last year is once he got the puck he couldn't get it out the zone. Now he wasn't alone there were a few....but he sticks out in my mind the most.

I am hoping they can also be more disciplined and stay out the box better this coming season.

Hopefully not having Simmonds (7th in PIMs with 99) and Gudas (50th in PIMs with 63) with help a lot.

I would like to see Laughton cut down on his as well (53 PIMs) and Hagg (63 PIMs which was tied with Gudas last year as the lead).

Thanks for posting that link....this guy is saying  a lot of things I want hear.

I liked that he seems to have had his role communicated to him and he's off and running with it, makes me feel like the staff has high competence level.

• Like 1

A good read on Michel Therrien as well...

cut.png

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/system-analysis-therrien-on-forwards-and-power-play/c-308295650

Enjoy.

"We have the ability to score goals and we're going to play the right way; 200-feet. That's our job as a coaching staff. Everyone has to know what's expected and be accountable to the expectation," Therrien said.

"In terms of the system, I have ideas on some things we can do. Alain has ideas. Mike has ideas. Lappy has ideas. We'll go over everything next month and we'll have a plan for camp. Then you see what happens in camp, and you adjust when you have to adjust."

One of Hak's weak links dude just could not adjust.

"We are deep down the middle, at center and on D, which is important in the game. Chuck was aggressive to address that this summer. You need that depth to win. In terms of the forwards, think we can do a lot to build around what we've got at center. The addition of Kevin Hayes is a big thing for us. It's matchups with the other team, and it's competition on your roster to play in the situations everyone wants to lay. Sean Couturier is one of the best all-around centers in the league. Hayes is good all-around. Now there's more chance for Nolan Patrick to keep developing and grow into the player we think he will be. Scott Laughton gives us a lot of depth, and he's good in his role," Therrien said.

We'll see if they can get this roster to play to their potential on paper.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 3

Now a sit down with the man himself...

"I said this when I took the job: I want to win, now and in the future. I wasn't looking for a rebuilding situation. I'm here to win a Stanley Cup, and the #Flyers can be that team."- AV is ready to go.

cut.png

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/system-analysis-vigneault-on-identity-and-preparation/c-308302952

enjoy...

"Philosophically speaking, we want to be a team that takes pride in playing the right way. That takes work. It means we get into good habits and paying attention to detail consistently. Consistency is where you raise the bar. It's all about consistency in those terms you hear a lot: playing 200 feet, playing with pace, clean breakouts, good gaps, puck support, giving our goalies a chance to make saves. It means our goalies step up for us. I know that every team talks about those things. But the really good teams don't just talk about it, they do it and do it consistently. That's where we need our team to get to," Vigneault said.

...amen brother can i get a witness!!!!!!!

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

I like this when talking about Myers:

In addition to the aforementioned veteran defenseman, youngster Philippe Myers is vying for a right defense spot on the Flyers roster. Vigneault was not as familiar with Myers as the other two, but started to form some observations when he coached Myers on Team Canada at the recent IIHF World Championships in Slovakia.

"He flew over on short notice, because we were in a bind with injuries, and he was the next guy up on our depth list. He hadn't skated in about a month [since the Flyers did not make the playoffs], but he came right over and was in our lineup. It took him a few days to get going, which was to be expected, but he started to settle in and got better and better," Vigneault said.

"I like a lot of what I saw in him. He has very high potential. I like that he's righthanded. Big size. Big shot. Very good skater and range. He's still raw in his details but there's a lot we can work with."

And this about Patrick...

Vigneault said that the addition of Kevin Hayes to the Flyers roster is not an indictment of Nolan Patrick. He sees it as a means of making the Flyers deeper and helping Patrick to flourish in his third season in the league.

"I have talked about Patrick a lot with Chuck, and also talked some with Scott Gordon. Having Kevin here should benefit Nolan in developing into the kind of player we all think he will become," Vigneault said. 

Last season, Patrick had five goals and 11 points at the statistical midpoint of the season, and eight goals and 23 points in the second half. However, from Jan. 14 to Feb. 16 of this season, Patrick had a 13-game run in the second half where he produced 12 points, including a pair of two-goal games and the first three-point game of his NHL career.

Underlying Patrick's surge was a lineup depth chart move by then head coach Gordon to move Claude Giroux back from left wing to center for several weeks, have Sean Couturier centering the second line and moving Patrick to the third line. The move did not benefit Giroux offensively but Patrick had his most productive stretch of the season during that time. 

Similarly, Vigneault believes that having Patrick as the third center of a 1-2-3 punch with Couturier and Hayes will be beneficial to Patrick's game without overtaxing Giroux by taking off left wing. 

"With Couturier and Hayes slotted into the situations they'll probably play, we can also get Nolan into matchups that will be favorable for him and his line. At the same time, he can continue to develop, and we can be better as a team for that. You don't want to talk about first line, second line, third line, fourth line. You want everyone to be able to be effective for you, and contribute in different ways. That takes depth," Vigneault said. 

What will it take for the Flyers to take next steps? 

"Three ingredients: strong goaltending, depth at every position including goalie, good work habits, and consistent reinforcement of 200-foot play," Vigneault said. 

Edited by OccamsRazor

Ahhh...one of mine and @ruxpin 's favorite topics: Bench boss or not bench boss.

Mike Yeo...
Classic case of "better lieutenant than ship's captain".   

Wouldn't want him as head coach, but apparently, makes a fine assistant or special teams coach.

It's all about the role and the fit....and I think "Head Coach" Yeo was over his head in Min and St. L (especially after being anointed the heir to Hitchcock...yikes)….but the should do well as part of the Flyers' coaching staff, and along with the goalie and young talent on Philly, should fare well as a special teams coach.

I'd be satisfied with this hire from a Flyer fan standpoint.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

Yeo knows Bo though    😏

...and all the Blues' players who went on to win the SC. Masterminded by even a worse goon than Yeo. His former assistant. Previously fired by the Flyers. Funny really.

What goes around, comes around I guess.

53 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

...and all the Blues' players who went on to win the SC. Masterminded by even a worse goon than Yeo. His former assistant. Previously fired by the Flyers. Funny really.

What goes around, comes around I guess.

That was on Binnington not Berube, he just rode his coat tail...just will see how good a coach Belicheat is when Brady retires.

AP and Parayko raved about how much he help them to mature and understand the game.

He may not have been the right head coach but he knows his defense and is a very good assistant.

There is a place in the world for his type.

And I think he will help the Flyers youngsters out a lot.

Will see in a year or two if i have misjudged him.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Add what I left off...