Ron Francis: 1st GM of New Seattle Franchise

1358493769_ronfrancis.jpg.64764a271a0b07522b90cddf6aea946a.jpg

https://www.nhl.com/news/ron-francis-named-seattle-general-manager/c-308280338?tid=281011650

Well, there we have it.
Former Carolina Hurricanes GM Ron Francis is set to make history as Seattle's first general manager.

Seattle's expansion roster will be governed by the same rules that Las Vegas had and it will be interesting to see what Francis, whom some considered a bit TOO conservative as GM in Carolina, will do, as opposed to the "splashier" George McPhee running the Vegas franchise.

McPhee did a phenomenal job under the rules and guidelines afforded to him in putting together a contender very quickly.
Now Ron Francis has a template to follow....and a tough act to follow as well..... though he will have all the same advantages McPhee had.

Needless to say, based on what Vegas did in their first year, having a good second year, and looking like they are set to be competitive for the foreseeable and the big time clamoring Seattle and fans in the US Northwest made about wanting hockey up there, new GM Francis will have lots of pressure on him to come out of the expansion gates swinging!

I do wish him luck though. I never disliked him as a player, always thought of him as a class act, and maybe didn't have the resources to do what he wanted to do with the Canes.
Well, he now gets his chance, and I'd rather see a successful first year Seattle team than a franchise that could take up to 10 years to be competitive.
The "Vegas Rules" should, if he plays his cards right, ensure that. 

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

I've been kind of waiting to find out what they are will be called.  The Seatle ????

I thought I read somewhere that won't be known till much later in the year...probably Fall or Winter.
In the meantime, Ron Francis' primary duties is to put together a competent operations, then hire a head coach.

I hear a lady named Alexandra Mandrycky will factor heavily when it comes to what types of players Ron Francis will be looking to start the franchise with.
She is an analytics expert, and it seems right from the gate, Seattle will be relying on advance statistics to decide on personnel.

16 hours ago, ruxpin said:

So no trades for Seattle for the first several years. 

LOL...possibly.
If so, Francis would truly be the anti-McPhee....who wheeled and dealed his arse off during the filling out of his roster.

Heck, some might even say McPhee BLACKMAILED other GM's into trading with him (**cough, Fletcher...cough...Wild GM...cough**), as he did so with the threat that if they DIDN'T trade with him, he would be taking a player off the other GMs roster that they would prefer to keep.

Is Francis capable of going to such lengths? Maybe have a trick or three up his sleeve that are different?
Again..he has the SAME rules as Vegas, and if he doesn't do a good enough job, combined with his "meh" tenure as Canes general manager, he could be labeled a "bust" as an NHL executive...well, GM anyways.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26