Lucic Traded to Flames

Podein25

Agree James Neal has the better potential for a bounce back.

Then again, Lucic has been HEALTHIER than Neal the last few seasons...he just seemed, for whatever reason, unmotivated/disinterested, playing in Edmonton.

Will the more aggressive Calgary Flames bring back the Milan Lucic that played in Boston?
If so, and Neal finds his game again in Edmonton, could go from a bust to bust trade, to a win win.

Money is a wash, so its not really about cap relief.
Just trying to get two once very  useful players going again.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Agree James Neal has the better potential for a bounce back.

Then again, Lucic has been HEALTHIER than Neal the last few seasons...he just seemed, for whatever reason, unmotivated/disinterested, playing in Edmonton.

Will the more aggressive Calgary Flames bring back the Milan Lucic that played in Boston?
If so, and Neal finds his game again in Calgary, could go from a bust to bust trade, to a win win.

Money is a wash, so its not really about cap relief.
Just trying to get two once very  useful players going again.

Now Lucic gets to take cheap shots at Mcjesus now...

• Like 2

I mean... Just on the contracts alone, this is a really bad trade for Calgary. Idiotic, actually.

-If bought-out, the Lucic contract would save $2.5M. Neal's would save $7.7M

-Neal's AAV is $250k cheaper per year.

-Neal has no trade or movement protection, while Lucic's contract features a NMC.

-The Flames will be required to protect Lucic for the Seattle expansion. Neal wouldn't.

-I can't begin to guess what the up-side is for Calgary in this deal.

As players:

-They were both terrible, but Neal has had one bad year. Lucic's 5-on-5 scoring has been 4th line for 3 straight years now, and slipping.

-Lucic can't take or make a pass at the NHL level anymore. Offense withers on his stick.

-I won't even talk about skating in today's NHL.

Kudos to Ken Holland. I didn't think that Lucic's contract could be traded unless Puljujarvi was part of the deal and something along the lines of $3M per year was retained by Edmonton. I had resigned myself to him being an Oiler for years. The Flames were robbed, yo. My worry is that there's more to the deal than has been reported, and that when the news comes out, I'll be saying "Oh. Ouch" because this trade makes no sense for Calgary.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 2

Unless there IS more coming, perhaps Calgary is thinking Lucic does have something left, but for reasons only Lucic knows, goes through the motions in Edmonton.
Maybe Lucic thought when he signed with Edmonton that the Oilers would be on the fast track to contention. When that quickly became apparent that wasn't the case, he "lost interest".... sure, that is on him, and a professional WOULD be part of the solution, not the problem, but I can't see any other reason Calgary could want him.

Flames are further along on the competitive trail than the Oilers and they are deeper in their lineups as well, and maybe they are thinking Lucic in that kind of environment "wakes up" for lack of a better term.

Funny thing is, Neal in Calgary seems to have been suffering from the same "disinterested" doldrums...though I couldn't hazard a guess as to what HIS issue there was.
Maybe playing with two of the best players in the NHL will get him going again...particularly since the Oilers aren't as deep, and he is sure to get more prime ice time than he did in Calgary.

I dunno.
It's all really nutty stuff.
Two players doing nothing for their respective franchise's....GMs decide on a swap and see what happens.

18 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I mean... Just on the contracts alone, this is a really bad trade for Calgary. Idiotic, actually.

his deal.

Kudos to Ken Holland. I didn't think that Lucic's contract could be traded unless Puljujarvi was part of the deal and something along the lines of $3M per year was retained by Edmonton. I had resigned myself to him being an Oiler for years. The Flames were robbed, yo. My worry is that there's more to the deal than has been reported, and that when the news comes out, I'll be saying "Oh. Ouch" because this trade makes no sense for Calgary.

Don't worry bud. Enjoy the ride while it lasts. (um, might have said the same thing to my spouse on our wedding night...anyways)

In just a couple of months your team and personnel has improved a lot. And now Lucic gone...? Go and buy yourself a lottery ticket already!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

No worries they still have Brandon Manning he will head butt Lucic's fist for Mcjesus...

Manning.....another in the long line of Flyers punch in the face recipient club (Riley Cote, president)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Two conditions have to be met for Oilers to send 3rd round pick to Calgary - James Neal has to record at least 21 goals and Lucic scores at least 10 fewer goals than Neal.

Easily avoidable.

The Oils don't give Neal minutes on Mac's PP unit and Lucic... well, play just like you do.

• Like 1