Nikita Gusev Acquired and Signed By Devils

gusev.jpg.792cefdea2e48cbc2075b8702e0b4d63.jpg

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/release-devils-acquire-gusev-from-vegas/c-308382304

For a pair of draft picks... 2020 3rd rounder and 2021 2nd rounder

According to capfriendly, Gusev is signed for two years at 4.5M AAV

Devils are looking like real serious contenders to go "worst to first" in 2019-20...Wow.
All this to impress Taylor Hall enough to stay on? Maybe.....

Devils made a good push two years ago and made the playoffs before being ousted by the Tampa Bay Lightning and after a very disappointing 2018--19 campaign have come up with a slew of moves to try and get back to where they headed before...a Stanley Cup run.

Defense has seemingly improved, some good forwards added.....BUT of course, who will stop pucks?
Does Cory Schneider have something...anything left? (6M AAV cap hit for a few more years...yikes..)
Or does Mackenzie Blackwood carry the mail? Or is it someone else not yet in the organization and some sort of buyout of Schneider is in the works?

Aside from those big goaltending questions, I really, really like the direction the NJ Devils have put themselves on.
I think Taylor Hall should be suitably impressed.....

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

29 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

gusev.jpg.792cefdea2e48cbc2075b8702e0b4d63.jpg

https://twitter.com/search?q=nikita+gusev&ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^search

For a pair of draft picks... 2020 3rd rounder and 2021 2nd rounder

According to capfriendly, Gusev is signed for two years at 4.5M AAV

Devils are looking like real serious contenders to go "worst to first" in 2019-20...Wow.
All this to impress Taylor Hall enough to stay on? Maybe.....

Devils made a good push two years ago and made the playoffs before being ousted by the Tampa Bay Lightning and after a very disappointing 2018--19 campaign have come up with a slew of moves to try and get back to where they headed before...a Stanley Cup run.

Defense has seemingly improved, some good forwards added.....BUT of course, who will stop pucks?
Does Cory Schneider have something...anything left? (6M AAV cap hit for a few more years...yikes..)
Or does Mackenzie Blackwood carry the mail? Or is it someone else not yet in the organization and some sort of buyout of Schneider is in the works?

Aside from those big goaltending questions, I really, really like the direction the NJ Devils have put themselves on.
I think Taylor Hall should be suitably impressed.....

This is the Nikita Zaitsev move the the Leafs made awhile back just a forward version of him.

He'll bomb and hey it's Jersey know one will even know...

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stupid phone

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is the Nikita Zaitsev move the the Leafs made awhile back just a forward version of him.

He'll bomb and hey it's Jersey know one will even know...

Well, guess we'll see if he "bombs" or not.
Even if he does, it's not like the Devils are putting all their hopes n dreams into this one guy....and for two years? Not bad at all.
If they don't like what they see in that time, they can just say bye bye and not be any worse off for it given the other talents they have on the roster.

But if his KHL numbers are anything to go by, he seems like a playmaker first, sniper second.... should do well playing with guys that really like to shoot the puck on the Devils.

Biggest oops if he fails would be the lost draft picks, but at least NJ still has their first rounders for the next three seasons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Not bad at all

Not worth a 2nd round pick.

A 3rd and 4th maybe but not a 2nd.

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

If they don't like what they see in that time, they can just say bye bye and not be any worse off

I disagree.

You can find guys like Debrincat with those 2nd round picks.

But like I said it's Jersey...no one will ever know.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not worth a 2nd round pick.

A 3rd and 4th maybe but not a 2nd.

I disagree.

You can find guys like Debrincat with those 2nd round picks.

But like I said it's Jersey...no one will ever know.

And like I said...we will see.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if NJ jumped ahead of several teams in the Metro in the competitive department this coming season...including the Flyers.

I think the Devils' season last year was more an aberration than a true barometer as to where they are at.
They no doubt have some big, big questions to answer in the goalie department as I've stated already (something I think Philly has answered), but elsewhere, they are looking pretty good and this signing should help more than hinder even if Gusev doesn't turn into a "star" type players.

I think the Devils can absorb the loss of a 2nd rounder right now. Good young talent on the roster and some promising guys in their pipeline too.

Not a fan of most of the moves the Davils made this offseason, Subban is a very one dimensional d-man, a power play guy with holes in every other aspect of his game, Gusev, an overpay for a guy who has yet to play a shift in the NHL, yeah they got Hughes but that was the luck of the ping pong balls and he fell in their lap,  Simmonds on a one year deal isn't bad but at 5 million for the season, sheesh. They have left the Taylor Hall upcoming free agency hanging, they have done nothing about the gaping hole in net. It is not one of the moves, it is all of them. Gusev is typical of the Devils, they know they need to do something in the worst way and have went out and done exactly that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icechipper said:

Highway robbery. Gusev assists everywhere he goes. Any interest in Parise out there?

Dailyfaceoff already has him slotted on wing on the 2nd line alongside C-Nico Hischier and winger Kyle Palmieri.

Could be an excellent combo as Hischier is a good shooter/set up man himself and Palmieri is the classic trigger-man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Gusev is typical of the Devils, they know they need to do something in the worst way and have went out and done exactly that.

It's the slinge shiit against the wall and see what sticks plan....

:cheers:

A high reward, low risk move. Very nice by the Devils. Only $9 mil. invested in this guy and he might be a genuine 1st line star.

Occam, seriously... the Flyers pay Hayes $50 mil., a designated 2nd/3th liner and THIS move is slinging shiit?! Uh oh...

• Like 1