Chris Kunitz Retires

391709836_KUNITZCOMPLETE.thumb.jpg.400bab5925875dc7af087fc19ea016b4.jpg

https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/news/release-chris-kunitz-to-join-blackhawks-coaching-staff/c-308389214

After 15 seasons, 1022 games played, and 4 Stanley Cups won (1 with Ducks, 3 with Penguins), the 39 year old veteran forward is calling it a career.
According to the article, he will be joining the Blackhawks coaching staff as a player advisor to both the Hawks themselves and their AHL affiliate Rockford Ice Hogs.
He will get to have a hand in how young players develop for Chicago apparently....sounds like the first steps towards a possible head coach or GM position.

An intelligent player with a 200 foot game, it was easy to see why teams wanted him on their squad even as his on-ice skills diminished.
He finishes his career with 268 G, 351 A over those 1022 GP.

HOF player? I won't fully get into that discussion, but seems to me his career numbers are "good", not HOF worthy, although, as mentioned, he did lots of other things besides show up on a scoresheet.
That said, hard to figure what is HOF standard anymore as the standards for entry seem to change.

At any rate, wishing Chris Kunitz well in his life after playing hockey, though he will still be around the game.
Also thank him for his short time with the Tampa Bay Lightning where more than a few young players credited him with helping them develop their games.
I am sure he did the same with the Pens towards the end of his tenure there, and with the Hawks....and should do well as a player advisor.

Just now, Hockey-78 said:

A nice guy but no way near of HOF material. IMO.

Agreed.
But I think the HOF voting panel are running out of legit candidates to put in there.....some good, though not great players have made their way in there, so Kunitz may have a shot.... based on 4 Cups and playing on loaded Penguins teams alone.

8 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Agreed.
But I think the HOF voting panel are running out of legit candidates to put in there.....some good, though not great players have made their way in there, so Kunitz may have a shot.... based on 4 Cups and playing on loaded Penguins teams alone.

Yeah, the HOF voting panel has become a joke, who knows.

If the criteria is "we need to get a minimum of 5 guys in there this year, who'd you have in mind" then I guess even John Scott is in the mix...