Paul Fenton has been fired as GM after just one season.

bbgarnett

Just now, EJ0226 said:

Give the guy credit. He worked hard to be worse then Fletcher. 😂

So what was your favorite Fenton moment? 🤣

Maybe he wanted to be fired after he got here and found out how bad the organization was, so he purposely did things to to try and get him fired.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bbgarnett said:

Maybe he wanted to be fired after he got here and found out how bad the organization was, so he purposely did things to to try and get him fired.  

Honestly I would believe this if he didn't have a connection with Leipold. I think with the warming house losing people and season ticket holders not renewing and mixing in very bad trades that did nothing for the franchise but lose key players for at least this franchise, a big impact move had to be done. I suspect Modano will be announced as the new GM.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

Honestly I would believe this if he didn't have a connection with Leipold. I think with the warming house losing people and season ticket holders not renewing and mixing in very bad trades that did nothing for the franchise but lose key players for at least this franchise, a big impact move had to be done. I suspect Modano will be announced as the new GM.

Maybe and also that could be why Modano was brought in as CL knew he was going to fire Fenton. I personally think they'll go with experience and would want that so Some candidates include former Philadelphia Flyers GM Ron Hextall, former Edmonton Oilers and Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli, former San Jose Sharks and Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi and former New York Islanders GM Garth Snow. Only guy on that list that I wouldn't mind is probably Lombardi.

They said CL is having his hip replaced on Sept 17th so the search is going to be very quick or have to be as he wants a new guy in place by then most likely.

Edited by bbgarnett
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

22 minutes ago, bbgarnett said:

Maybe and also that could be why Modano was brought in as CL knew he was going to fire Fenton. I personally think they'll go with experience and would want that so Some candidates include former Philadelphia Flyers GM Ron Hextall, former Edmonton Oilers and Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli, former San Jose Sharks and Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi and former New York Islanders GM Garth Snow. Only guy on that list that I wouldn't mind is probably Lombardi.

They said CL is having his hip replaced on Sept 17th so the search is going to be very quick or have to be as he wants a new guy in place by then most likely.

I'd want NO PART of Chiarelli or Snow.

Hextall or Lombardi? Sure, I'd be ok with them.
Hextall, however, is no one's "yes man"....and he can be pretty lippy even to a team owner, so he may not get hired if the Wild owner is looking for someone who constantly nods positively at everything he says and does.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

I like the firing of course, but I'm guessing Fenton was fired for the wrong reasons. CL (and possibly Parise, Spurgeon) might be thinking the Wild is a contender, and Fenton was in fact rebuilding the team. I would have fired Fenton for his bad trades and bad management, not for understanding the Wild is going nowhere.

As much as I didn't like Fenton, to be fair to him he never really got to enact his "Plan". It would have been interesting to see how the team would have shaken out this season, particularly if they all stayed more-or-less healthy. If they still missed the Playoffs with a healthy roster, then yes, maybe consider canning him. But after one season? And especially when Leipold gave Fenton permission to sort of clean house?

He must have really PO'ed someone to get canned after one season.

And I certainly hope they don't go with Mike Modano as his replacement.

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IllaZilla said:

I'm neutral on that but he'd fit in the picture: the team is already full of pu**ies, why not get one in charge...

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

As much as I didn't like Fenton, to be fair to him he never really got to enact his "Plan". It would have been interesting to see how the team would have shaken out this season, particularly if they all stayed more-or-less healthy. If they still missed the Playoffs with a healthy roster, then yes, maybe consider canning him. But after one season? 

He must have really PO'ed someone to get canned after one season.

Sounds like he caused a lot of internal turmoil and didn't know how to talk to basically the media or people below him. Listening to radio interviews talking about this and what Russo has wrote his lack of ability to communicate and handle stuff like this was the final nail. Let's be honest here, his GM skills were pretty bad. Even with a healthy team, after all the people he ran out of here for orange pylons, this team would have missed the playoffs. Also, his draft picks.....🤬💩

28 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

Sounds like he caused a lot of internal turmoil and didn't know how to talk to basically the media or people below him. Listening to radio interviews talking about this and what Russo has wrote his lack of ability to communicate and handle stuff like this was the final nail. Let's be honest here, his GM skills were pretty bad. Even with a healthy team, after all the people he ran out of here for orange pylons, this team would have missed the playoffs. Also, his draft picks.....🤬💩

If that's the word they're spreading this might have been his last gig as a GM. Sounds pretty ugly.

You know, in any case it doesn't look good on your CV. You get your first GM gig at 59 years of age, in a year you get fired. Many takers for a fired inexperienced 60 year old GM? Well, maybe some "director of some development yada yada" position falls in to his lap, who knows.

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, bbgarnett said:

I agree with you.. the only name out of those listed that I would even consider is Lombardi.. no thanks on the rest. I'd have no confidence in any of the others coming into this mess.

• Like 1

IMO he absolutely deserved to get fired.   The trades and Zuccarello signing were atrocious.   The nepotism was disturbing with his kid, too, although I have absolutely no problem with the Wild's Draft this year (and the pro talkers agree with that take).   Sounds like he was a total arrogant prick to everyone.   Good riddance.

• Like 2

Wild Fire GM Paul Fenton

I give my thoughts on the move to fire Paul Fenton, as well as share media thoughts, fans thoughts too.  He clearly burned all of his bridges rather quickly and when he finally angered Ryan and Zach enough they dropped the axe on him.  

A strange day indeed...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Post 1

7 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

If that's the word they're spreading this might have been his last gig as a GM. Sounds pretty ugly.

You know, in any case it doesn't look good on your CV. You get your first GM gig at 59 years of age, in a year you get fired. Many takers for a fired inexperienced 60 year old GM? Well, maybe some "director of some development yada yada" position falls in to his lap, who knows.

Even Brandon Mileski said his first interview with Fenton did not go good and basically after 2 questions went to basic  yes and no questions due to how unwelcoming/friendly Fenton was to questions.
I know he is a homer but he is pretty honest. So if Fenton was that way to the media could you image what it was like behind the scenes? But even without this coming to light just how Fenton managed his first year was worst then any of Fletchers. Horrible draft picks, horrible trades and forcing players into the lineup when they shouldn't be and more screams fire him.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wild Fire GM Paul Fenton

I give my thoughts on the move to fire Paul Fenton, as well as share media thoughts, fans thoughts too.  He clearly burned all of his bridges rather quickly and when he finally angered Ryan and Zach enough they dropped the axe on him.  

A strange day indeed...

Great write up @CreaseAndAssist.

My take on this team. It will not matter who is hired. The biggest issues are CL feeling/wanting to run the team and Parise and Suter acting as management instead of players.

CL has to learn he is a owner. Sit down, shut up, sign checks and only make noise when things are completely out of control. No being friends with players. If players have issues they go to the GM or coach only. If CL wants to run a team with decisions and player management then he needs to sell the team and go be a GM. No GM or coach will have success as long as CL continues doing what he is doing.

Parise and Suter need to learn they are nothing more then players. They aren't even super stars so stop running to daddy Craig when you get pushed to work a little or get yelled at. The Wild need to make CL office door behind another door that only GM and CL have a badge to get by. Give 20 and 11 a badge that allows them only access to the locker room.

If these two things can happen then hire a GM that doesn't take chit from anybody. He isn't scared to make high paid players not performing well go through hell. That will create a work hard and win atmosphere. That won't accept making the playoffs as a win. That won't allow players to run the asylum. Only then can we have a shot.

• Like 1

I know only one year in, but I think it's clear Leipold made a horrific mistake hiring Fenton. Based on the simply terrible trades, it's fairly clear Fenton is not equipped to be a general manager. If they're throwing "inability to talk to the media or subordinates" out there, I find that foolish.  If a heart surgeon keeps killing the patient because he has no idea where the heart is, it seems to me it really doesn't matter that his bedside manner sucks. 

Good on Leipold for realizing a mistake and quickly moving to fix it. No sense waiting (or pretending to wait to fill some sort of optics or to be "fair" to the inept) to figure out what was already painfully obvious. 

• Like 2

Hextall no thanks. He was canned in Philly for telling guys how to lift and what to eat. Wild are a hot mess right now. We're told that Fiala and Donato are the future but they are blocked out of top six time by a millionaires. club of Parise, Zuccarello, Rask and Zucker. 

Edited by Icechipper
  • Like 1

According to Russo in an interview he gave on KFAN.  He said it wasn't about the trades as bad as they were.  It was more about his irritability and struggle to change and work with those within the organization.  Not to mention his lack of initiative in regards to re-signing Spurgeon, he was a total failure.  

• Good Post 1