Paul Fenton has been fired as GM after just one season.

bbgarnett

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I know only one year in, but I think it's clear Leipold made a horrific mistake hiring Fenton. Based on the simply terrible trades, it's fairly clear Fenton is not equipped to be a general manager. If they're throwing "inability to talk to the media or subordinates" out there, I find that foolish.  If a heart surgeon keeps killing the patient because he has no idea where the heart is, it seems to me it really doesn't matter that his bedside manner sucks. 

Good on Leipold for realizing a mistake and quickly moving to fix it. No sense waiting (or pretending to wait to fill some sort of optics or to be "fair" to the inept) to figure out what was already painfully obvious. 

Nah.  Leipold shouldn't be let off the hook for cutting the cord.  He still let it go on too long.  If he was there at Free Agency and just let the Zuccarello deal happen, IMO he's just as guilty for the lack of foresight by this organization.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Nah.  Leipold shouldn't be let off the hook for cutting the cord.  He still let it go on too long.  If he was there at Free Agency and just let the Zuccarello deal happen, IMO he's just as guilty for the lack of foresight by this organization.  

How long ago do you think CL made the decision to fire PF?. He had to have okayed the Zucarello deal, didn't he?

Edited by sweetshot

36 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

He had to have okayed the Zucarello deal, didn't he?

Likely so. I see that kind of okaying as micromanagement, though. CL should just tell his minions what the end result should be and leave the ends to the minions.

This is the best move made by the franchise in well over a year, because Fenton was terrible. Strange trades and signings are one thing, but promoting your son to head of scouting, especially after a mere three years of doing the job at any level, is a fireable offense. That the hire came at the urging of the worst GM in hockey (Peter Chiarelli) is the textbook definition of obtuse.

Can you imagine? After only three years of 5 AM stops at Tim Horton's, and this guy is heading up the scouting department...

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Good Post 1

12 minutes ago, Confrontational said:

Just some minor tweaking...

My bet is this was all about the $...  A dramatic drop in season ticket renewals and merchandise - that'd be my guess... 

From what I've heard and read, Fenton singlehandedly destroyed the Wild's front office with his lack of people skills, paranoia, and micromanagement.

And as much as we rag on Leipold, the guys a successful businessman. He knows that you can't have unhappy, unmotivated employees operating in chaos and expect to have a successful business. So he did the logical thing and got rid of the Agent of Chaos.

So in a roundabout way, it was about the money. But it was more about the state of the franchise, which sounds like it was truly a dumpster fire.

Just throwing this out there, but one reason season ticket are dropping could be that businesses can no longer write them off as a business expense. There is no longer a tax benefit to buying season tickets for businesses. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I know only one year in, but I think it's clear Leipold made a horrific mistake hiring Fenton. Based on the simply terrible trades, it's fairly clear Fenton is not equipped to be a general manager. If they're throwing "inability to talk to the media or subordinates" out there, I find that foolish.  If a heart surgeon keeps killing the patient because he has no idea where the heart is, it seems to me it really doesn't matter that his bedside manner sucks. 

Good on Leipold for realizing a mistake and quickly moving to fix it. No sense waiting (or pretending to wait to fill some sort of optics or to be "fair" to the inept) to figure out what was already painfully obvious. 

9 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

According to Russo in an interview he gave on KFAN.  He said it wasn't about the trades as bad as they were.  It was more about his irritability and struggle to change and work with those within the organization.  Not to mention his lack of initiative in regards to re-signing Spurgeon, he was a total failure.  

The Wild are the most successful, unsuccessful team ever. They make insane, bone headed moves, seem to have a badly function management team and allow certain players to create their own rules without punishment and still somehow manage to scrape a playoff spot. Granted they will never be more then a first round punching bag (and if you think they have a shot to be more then that then you really are not watching the Wild and the rest of the hockey teams) but they still find just a smidge of success. Nothing that makes the team able to win a cup. But that success also makes it impossible for them to draft well for the future, well, at least get a high draft pick.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

From what I've heard and read, Fenton singlehandedly destroyed the Wild's front office with his lack of people skills, paranoia, and micromanagement.

And as much as we rag on Leipold, the guys a successful businessman. He knows that you can't have unhappy, unmotivated employees operating in chaos and expect to have a successful business. So he did the logical thing and got rid of the Agent of Chaos.

So in a roundabout way, it was about the money. But it was more about the state of the franchise, which sounds like it was truly a dumpster fire.

Just throwing this out there, but one reason season ticket are dropping could be that businesses can no longer write them off as a business expense. There is no longer a tax benefit to buying season tickets for businesses. 

That makes a impact but let's be honest the single biggest impact is the roster and direction of this team. If a team is a winner people will come no matter what. When a team is a team that strides to just make the playoffs and pats themselves on the back after being swept in the first round and then says it just needs a minor tweak or two year after year, well even the biggest homers with blinders on get sick of it. I have been seeing people through various social media sites even talking about what I have been saying for years, the Parise and Suter contracts will be one of the worst in Minnesota pro sports history. People are seeing this roster is both not a cup winning roster and big parts of it don't have the will and thirst to win one. People don't want to pay to see what we have been seeing since Suter and Parise got here.

I honestly hope that Leipold just becomes a owner. Get a hard nosed GM in and let them run the team. Even if it's a Hextall who could make the money leeches want to get out of here cause they want to get paid but not put in the work. Something to reset the atmosphere and break up the locker room issues. The team can not continue doing what they are doing. They can't center around old and washed vets like Koivu, Suter and Parise. They can't let players go off and do their own things without punishment. They can't continue minor tweaks. They can't continue with CL interfering with the GMs job and the GM interfering with the coaches job. They can't allow players to go past the coach and GM to complain about something to the owner they are friends with. They need a GM who is the opposite of all of this and is willing to make CL go sit in the corner and be quiet. Punish any player who doesn't follow the rules or causes locker room issues. Bench players being ineffective regardless of pay. Maybe one day we will see this happen. Hopefully Leipold is a smart enough businessman to realize his interference is not working anymore and needs a good hard nose person to run it.

4 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

So, EJ, how do you REALLY feel? 🤣

Well, I am glad you asked because.......... 🤣

In all honesty I just burnt out of how this team has been going for years. It frustrates me as I love hockey more then any other sport. I would love to see Suter and Parise hold that cup above their head as it means we finally won but I am also not going to wear blinders and believe they are the keys to it. The team needs a new direction badly and has to tell everybody you are either falling in line and following or you can exit now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sweetshot said:

How long ago do you think CL made the decision to fire PF?. He had to have okayed the Zucarello deal, didn't he?

Leipold himself seemed to indicate he really started to feel that way after the exit interviews.  Which is why you really have to question his attentiveness / understanding in letting the Zuccarello deal happen?  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Leipold himself seemed to indicate he really started to feel that way after the exit interviews.  Which is why you really have to question his attentiveness / understanding in letting the Zuccarello deal happen?  

Wait. He grew uncomfortable about Fenton being the GM, yet let him sign the Zuccarello deal anyway?

Huh?

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I wonder if the Zuccarello signing was kind of a "panic buy". 

Fenton trades away some of the more popular players on the team for a questionable return. Tries twice to unload another popular player (Zucker) and fails. Then has a noteworthy player (Kessel) state publicly that he doesn't want to be traded to Minnesota because they aren't close to being a championship team. One of the top free agents (Pavelski) doesn't even bother to visit Minnesota despite overtures from fellow Badger Ryan Suter. Then Parise publicly questions if the team can win. 

Everything is going in the wrong direction, so they basically give Zuccarello everything he wants just to tell the fans "Look! We did something!"

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Obviously, CL is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Didn't PF work for him at Nashville for 15+ years??

It's unbelievable in all that time CL had no idea of PF's issues playing with others.  You'd have thought CL would have seen something.

Or did PF, after finally getting the GM position, think he was King and became and A-hole?

Ex-Edmonton Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli said to be in running for Minnesota Wild job.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ex-edmonton-oilers-gm-peter-chiarelli-said-to-be-in-running-for-minnesota-wild-job-hmm

This in from Dave Schwartz, a sports broadcaster with Kare 11, NBC’s Minneappolis affiliate, his suggestion that former Edmonton Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli is in the running for the Wild’s GM job now that Paul Fenton has been fired: “Hearing some names emerge from my sources as possible candidates for Wild GM job: Ron Hextall (as @RussoHockey has already reported), Tom Fitzgerald, Dean Lombardi, Dave Nonis, Bill Zito and Peter Chiarelli. No word yet on who has been contacted.”screen-shot-2019-07-31-at-11.42.39-am.pn

Chiarelli was also mentioned in a somewhat more speculative way by long-time Wild reporter Mike Russo of The Athletic: “After Fenton, it wouldn’t be shocking if the Wild decided to go the experience route this time around — Leipold said Tuesday he would prefer that, though he isn’t ruling anything out. If they do, there’s really only a small list. Some candidates include former Philadelphia Flyers GM Ron Hextall, former Edmonton Oilers and Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli, former San Jose Sharks and Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi and former New York Islanders GM Garth Snow.”

And ESPN’s Emily Kaplan speculated: “I imagine the Wild will try to overcompensate for Fenton’s weaknesses by hiring someone with experience. This is the NHL, after all. ‘When in doubt, simply retread!’ is pretty much a league mantra. You’ll hear names like Ron Hextall (fired by the Flyers last year) and Peter Chiarelli (fired by Boston, then again by Edmonton last year) mentioned.”

And ESPN’s Greg Wyshynski: “If Peter Chiarelli earns another chance after mangling the Edmonton Oilers’ roster to the point where Connor McDavid’s saintly patience is being tested, then we might as well rename it the Old Boys League and be done with it. Even Dean Lombardi, builder of a two-time Stanley Cup champion in Los Angeles, whose roster looks glacial by 2019 standards, would be a more palatable choice.”

screen-shot-2019-07-31-at-11.48.59-am.pn

My take

1. Chiarelli in the running for another NHL GM job this soon? Astonishing, if true.
  2. Schwartz reports Wild news regularly on his Twitter feed, including reporting on the press conference where Fenton was fired. Presumably he’s in a position to hear inside information now and then. So, as difficult as it is to believe that Chiarelli might be in the running for this job, I’ll take it that a TV sports reporter in Minneapolis heard some insider info or gossip and is now reporting it.
  3. This does not mean the Wild owner is actually considering hiring Chiarelli, of course. It just means that his name is being treated seriously as a candidate by some.
  4. If the Wild were to consider Chiarelli, they’d have to think hard and long about a few things: a) his weak salary cap management in Boston and Edmonton b) his vision of building a big, tough team in Edmonton when the NHL was moving to a faster, more skilled game and c) his iffy negotiating skills in Edmonton that saw him get beat either in a small way or a big way on many transactions.
  5. Chiarelli made some good moves in Edmonton, such as signing up Connor McDavid, Oscar Klefbom and Leon Draisaitl long-term, trading for Cam Talbot, Patrick Maroon and Zack Kassian, signing Kris Russell to his initial one-year deal in 2016 and bringing in Alex Chiasson on a PTO. But most of those good deeds came in Chiarelli’s first year at the helm.
  6. Chiarelli’s bad moves have hammered the Oilers’ franchise, with the trade of picks for Griffin Reinhart and the signing of Milan Lucic at the top of my own list of Weak Chiarelli Moves.
  7. In many ways, though, Chiarelli’s last year in Edmonton was his worst, as he brought in players like Kyle Brodziak, Jason Garrison and Tobias Rieder, who failed to help the team. Next he traded Ryan Strome to New York for Ryan Spooner on Nov. 16, 2018. Ryan Strome was no world beater, but at least he was a solid defensive centre and penalty killer. When Spooner then failed to deliver on the wing, the Oilers not only had failed to address their issue on the wing, they were down a somewhat useful bottom line centre. In his next deal, Chiarelli traded Drake Caggiula to the Chicago Blackhawks for Brandon Manning on Dec. 30, 2018. It was fine to move out the somewhat overpaid and defence-challenged Caggiula, but to bringing a d-man who struggles to keep up at the NHL level? Why? Especially as Manning had another year at $2.4 million on his deal?
Edited by JR Ewing

1 hour ago, Fargocase said:

Garth Snow.  Chiarellipet.  These guys have been jokes in the NHL for over the top incompetence.  And now they are in the running for Wild GM?  STOP THE INSANITY!!!!

Well, the franchise is kind of a joke right now, so if the shoe fits...

Seriously though, it doesn’t matter who they bring in if everyone doesn’t stay in their lane.

But Hope springs eternal...

11 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Great point.  Although isn't that due to the fact the team isn't really that entertaining and companies are hoping to schmooze clients elsewhere?  Especially with a team that was such a buzzkill at home last year.  

I wonder if we have the same situation with GM's as with free agents. No Pavelskis or Kessels, only a Zuccarello is ready to join the Wild - and even he with a really sweet offer, NMC's and all. Are the potentially good GM's ready to consider the Wild, or do we have to end up with the likes of Chiarelli?

14 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

See ILLA comments above bold.  I advised a few weeks back that what I had heard in terms of the culture in the Front Office was a HORROR SHOW (Back Biting, Psychotic control issues, paranoia, etc - potentially not only an environment where great talent like analytics would run away from, but mass litigation just awaiting a trigger).  I heard that CL had no concept of the ego PL would acquire post promotion, as well as the hubris in APPOINTING his son to a significant role in the administration of the draft with 3 years experience, and the damage that would cause.  The abysmal trades and signings did matter, but I think the two bold points above created an urgency that had to be addressed.  Meanwhile, $ in the form of revenue is plummeting by the truckload.....

• Good Post 1

5 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I wonder if we have the same situation with GM's as with free agents. No Pavelskis or Kessels, only a Zuccarello is ready to join the Wild - and even he with a really sweet offer, NMC's and all. Are the potentially good GM's ready to consider the Wild, or do we have to end up with the likes of Chiarelli?

It's possible. But I think right now your biggest issue is timing. The Wild fired Fenton at a time is year where the replacement pool is such that if the candidate were any good, he'd already be working. 

Leipold should get a lot of "credit" for badly bungling this situation (and it's on him if what you describe is accurate, and I think it is up an extent).  His statements indicate this started at exit interviews. 

First of all, if you did any credible due diligence, you knew this before. But make a decision when you did realize it.  You don't go to the end of July, in hockey's no man's land (we'll call it "Miami," for short) and then make this move. 

Leipold is nearly single-handedly destroying his own franchise. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1