Devils Add: Subban, Hughes, Gusev, Simmonds Among Others

Hockey-78

Things are looking much better for the Devils, at least on paper. Despite some missing pieces on their roster.

Would you tip them now as a candidate to make the playoffs in 2019-20?

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
Expanded title for a wider discussion net

4 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Things are looking much better for the Devils, at least on paper. Despite some missing pieces on their roster.

Would you tip them now as a candidate to make the playoffs in 2019-20?

Wouldn't surprise me if they did make the playoffs.

Goaltending and health pretty much submarined their season last year...along with some porous defense, which of course, the goaltending could do nothing about.

They seemed to have addressed many of their issues (save for the goaltending) and if they stay healthy, I don't see why they couldn't at least sneak in as an 8th seed....maybe better if Mackenzie Blackwood shows himself to be the real deal in net.

Two seasons ago they were on the rise, then fall on their faces the following year.
I think last season was a stumble, no doubt, but the real Devils (at least on a competitive level) are the ones we saw face the Lightning in the playoffs the season prior.

All the players you mentioned added, plus more experience to guys on the team already like Hischier and Severson.
Kyle Palmieri and Taylor Hall (again health) being legit established players, maybe Will Butcher steps up his game some more on defense..... Yea, definitely like the outlook for the team.
Just gotta be able to stop pucks.

Looked a bit more closely at this upcoming Devils roster...

The addition of John Hayden to their bottom six may be one of those overlooked adds.
Hayden, Simmonds, Subban added to go along with Coleman, Wood, Rooney....man, those guys LOVE to hit.

NJ will be hard to play against due to that alone...just nasty bodycheckers they are going to have over there.

That said, again, looking at the roster and the numbers, many guys on the team ARE prone to turnovers.
Which leads back to the goaltending and the need for guys to step up their defensive responsibilities.

If the goaltending is still "meh", the Devils are going to need to score 4+ goals a game just to keep up, especially if many of those scoring chances are coming via the turnovers the numbers say may happen a lot this season.

• 1 month later...

So far the team is doing well during the pre-season. 3 wins(against Boston and NY Rangers) out of 4 games. The last game against NY Rangers  still is going (score is 4:1 in 13 minutes left of the 3rd period). Overall they were able to score  so far 14 goals in those 4 games.

Here is a link to a beautiful goal Maltsev was able to put into a Ranger's net:

https://pucksandpitchforks.com/2019/09/18/watch-new-jersey-devils-mikhail-maltsev-scores-goal-preseason/

I think the team has a nice chance to make a playoffs this season.

• 4 weeks later...

Watching the Devils plays against the Canucks. They look so much a better team than last year. Goalie problem exists, Hugher hasn't completely adapted to play at his level and Penalty Kill plays in his own little world, selfishly I mean (yet he isn't coasting too much out there).

Can't wait for the 2nd period to start. Canucks has yet to show anything, really.

On 9/21/2019 at 4:19 AM, Alexandron said:

I think the team has a nice chance to make a playoffs this season.

They're off to a rocky start, 1-4-2 G diff. -13 but yeah, based on what I'm seeing now and if able to keep up this level of play, they shouldn't be a bottom feeder this year.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 12:58 PM, Hockey-78 said:

They're off to a rocky start, 1-4-2 G diff. -13 but yeah, based on what I'm seeing now and if able to keep up this level of play, they shouldn't be a bottom feeder this year.

I hope so too. It seems their young (22 y.o.)goaltender Blackwood is not too bad . They were able to win that game against Canucks with a minimal score 1:0.

• 1 month later...