News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

TropicalFruitGirl26

Coyotes New Owner: "We Are Staying in the Desert"

From MSN

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

From the Washington Post

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

AlexM.jpg.fd88c6feb03a4f7e79a519e7be1308bf.jpg

Looks like those saying the Arizona Coyotes will be moving elsewhere are gonna have to wait a bit longer.
New majority owner Alex Meruelo, known for turning around failed businesses, said upon buying the team that he fully intends on keeping the team in Arizona and making it "a viable business".

Great news for Yotes fans (the few I've met really are hardcore, believe it or not) and if this works out, he might be known as the "Jeff Vinik of the Southwest".
Jeff Vinik, of course, is the Lightning owner, who, since taking over the team, has put lots of hard work, hired excellent hockey people, and has turned the Lightning from NHL joke, to perennial contender.

May help Mr. Meruelo's efforts that his Yotes will be moving to the Central division in 2021 where he will be with teams and fanbases from Minnesota, St. Louis, etc...…. not only are the fanbases in the Central seemingly more rabid than those in the Pacific (taking nothing away from the Western Canadian team fanbases), but many retirees come from some of those Central division cities so even as the Yotes look to garner their own solid fanbase, they at least will more easily fill the building as Central division teams make their way to play the Coyotes with more regularity.

I'm actually glad to hear this coming from the new owner as I honestly hate to see cities and areas lose pro teams.
Sincerely hope he can put his past successes at turning around floundering businesses to work here and that he is successful.

Hey, people said Florida was not a viable hockey market, and for awhile, that looked like the case...till Jeff Vinik came in (and pretty much had the same type of attitude towards turning things around that Alex Meruelo seems to have) and MADE it a viable hockey market.

Much success to his efforts....and even now, he has a not-so-bad collection of players to work with.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

just, you know, on it's face, this seems like a stupid thing for a hockey team owner to say.

there's not much ice in the desert...i mean geez.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

May help Mr. Meruelo's efforts that his Yotes will be moving to the Central division in 2021

I think the League stated than this will be done when Seattle comes in. Coyotes to the Central and Seattle in the Pacific.

That being said, I think the Coyotes' future is settled. Once they move in a new area in downtown Phoenix, things are gonna be on the track and they will remain there unless a major catastrophe happens. Maybe Buttman's message shook a bit the organisation when he was surprisingly vague about the future in Arizona, in opposite as when the was speaking about the Hurricanes', insisting that the franchise will "never, ever, ever move elsewhere".

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

just, you know, on it's face, this seems like a stupid thing for a hockey team owner to say.

there's not much ice in the desert...i mean geez.

Oh, come on now...with tech the way it is nowadays (an OUTDOOR game in freakin Los Angeles for cryin out loud!  :bigteeth:  ), the NHL could CERTAINLY grow some ice in the desert...…….snakes, lizards, toads, and scorpions be damned... :shifty: 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

I think the League stated than this will be done when Seattle comes in. Coyotes to the Central and Seattle in the Pacific.

That being said, I think the Coyotes' future is settled. Once they move in a new area in downtown Phoenix, things are gonna be on the track and they will remain there unless a major catastrophe happens. Maybe Buttman's message shook a bit the organisation when he was surprisingly vague about the future in Arizona, in opposite as when the was speaking about the Hurricanes', insisting that the franchise will "never, ever, ever move elsewhere".

Well, I for one do wish the Yotes well in getting a stable thing going......it would be about freakin time.

And, as a Wild fan, I am actually looking forward to having Arizona in the same division and getting to see them come to the X more often.
They really do have the makings of a young, fast, exciting roster in the near future.

And yes, you are right...when Seattle comes in, the Yotes move to the Central....its why I posted 2021...my apologies if I got the year wrong, but I did know it was when the Seattle Totems/Metropolitans/Pilots/Kraken made their way to the NHL.  :) 

18 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, I for one do wish the Yotes well in getting a stable thing going......it would be about freakin time.

And, as a Wild fan, I am actually looking forward to having Arizona in the same division and getting to see them come to the X more often.
They really do have the makings of a young, fast, exciting roster in the near future.

And yes, you are right...when Seattle comes in, the Yotes move to the Central....its why I posted 2021...my apologies if I got the year wrong, but I did know it was when the Seattle Totems/Metropolitans/Pilots/Kraken made their way to the NHL.  :) 

I heard ticket sales rose where Phil Kessel was traded by the Pens to the Coyotes!

By chance is there a new arena on the horizon for Arizona?

3 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I heard ticket sales rose where Phil Kessel was traded by the Pens to the Coyotes!

By chance is there a new arena on the horizon for Arizona?

Yea....Phil Kessel has generated much excitement coming over to the Yotes.
They even have some T-shirts that supposedly are selling like hotcakes over there, some Phil the Thrill shirts.

New owner did say he was in negotiations to try and have a new arena built closer to the city limits, even though by all accounts, their current Gila Arena is a beautiful place....just out of the way for hockey.